Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Congrats Warriors... from a Pitt fan  (Read 7166 times)

UPitt89

• Walk-On
Congrats Warriors... from a Pitt fan
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »
I think both of our teams got favorable draws and seeds based on where I thought we were.

I thought Pitt would be a 4 and Marquette would be a 7.... so we can't complain.

And we (Pitt) get to play the first two rounds in your arena, I believe.   Any tips on best places to stay/eat/see?

Good luck!

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
Re: Congrats Warriors... from a Pitt fan
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:08:17 PM »
Congrats and good luck!

Lots of great places to eat and see.  I'm sure you will see lots of postings here.  Also, try onmilwaukee.com  I believe they will have a list of things.

Harley Museum is fun to see and Motor Restaurant @ the HD museum has good food.  Harley Factory on Capitol Dr has tours as wells as the Miller brewery
Just about any restaurant on Water Street is good.  Third Ward has good restaurants, too
I think someplace around  UWM and the Mitchell Park Domes both have laser shows for something non-basketball related.
Joan of Arc chapel located on MU's campus is the oldest building in North America still used for original purpose.

I'm sure you'll get great ideas from our fans and the MU faithful will support the big east teams.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

g0ldmember42

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »
Old German Beer Hall, just a block away from the stadium is great for German Beer, polka music and amazing giant pretzels!

When in Milwaukee.... :-)

Onmilwaukee.com is also great. There is a new aLoft hotel close to the stadium as well... also a Hyatt pretty close.

Congrats on the seeding and best of luck!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »
Old German Beer Hall, just a block away from the stadium is great for German Beer, polka music and amazing giant pretzels!

When in Milwaukee.... :-)

Onmilwaukee.com is also great. There is a new aLoft hotel close to the stadium as well... also a Hyatt pretty close.

Congrats on the seeding and best of luck!

just stayed at the aLoft a block or two from the Bradley Center, and it is pretty nice... a little quirky, but nice.

for bars in the area, there is Turners (a classic), Center Court (both of these across from the Bradley Center).  And there is bootleggers just down the street from the aLoft hotel, which is nice... and right next door to the Old German Beer Hall.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »
For a good time check out Art's Performing Center. Say hello there to Ziggy, a prominent MU alum, now sweeping their floors just for something to do.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

susie90

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 09:23:38 PM »
For fine dining, Milwaukee offers great choices in Coquette Cafe, Lake Park Bistro and Sanford.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 09:27:24 PM »
Pitt lucked out with getting into the Milwaukee pod.   Close by, you just came here a month ago (and beat us) .. you'll have plenty of MU fans rooting on the BE brethren.  

-- I second the motion of going to the Harley museum.  It's extremely cool. -- Admission is a little pricey though .. like $18 to get in.   But not an ordinary museum, that's for sure.  -- The restaurant attached to it is very cool, too.  If not for the museum, go there for the restaurant.  It's about 3 miles from downtown.

If you're staying downtown, there are plenty of places to eat .. for lunch one day, stop by Real Chili for a bowl, two locations, either right downtown, or on Marquette's campus.

You might think of visiting MU's campus .. drive straight west on Wisconsin avenue, you'll drive right thru it (although you'll just see what you can from the street.)

Milwaukee is a very manageable town, you'll have no problems getting around by car.  Relatively speaking, rush hour isn't awful, like a Chicago would be.  

Oh, and make sure you visit Art's Performing Center near the Water street bars.

UPitt89

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:30:18 PM »
Wow!  Thanks everyone for the great information.

I'm going to drive out on Wednesday and visit some family in the Chicago area and then head up for the games.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 09:36:38 PM »
I stayed at the aLoft recently. Great location for the games but just beware, there are virtually no doors on the bathroom. Had I known that in advance, it would have been a deal breaker for me. And the walls are pretty thin and the street noise is significant. 96Warrior circa 1996 would not have been bothered by any of that but I am an old fogey now. I'd rather take my chances on priceline or hotwire, and if you request 4 star and above you'll get the Hyatt or the Hilton, both of which are also good locations for the games.

UPitt89 - thanks for the well wishes - same to you! Enjoy your time in Milwaukee.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »
If you have some time, check out the Lakefront Brewery tour.  Pretty cool operation and excellent beer.

Go luck in the tourney!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 09:40:25 PM »
If you are going to do one brewery tour, make it Lakefront Brewery.  Their hours a little funny, but just ask anyone when you are in town and they'll know. 

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 09:40:48 PM »
Stay at the Iron Horse Hotel. It's actually right by the Harley Museum. The place is gorgeous, has great food, and is a short cab ride to the Bradley Center. I highly suggest staying there.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 09:48:51 PM »
If you are going to do one brewery tour, make it Lakefront Brewery.  Their hours a little funny, but just ask anyone when you are in town and they'll know. 

Just make sure to get there well ahead of the time you want to tour.  I usually try to get there about 45 minutes before.  You can enjoy your free samples while you wait, so the time slides by easily.

MKEblue

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 09:51:41 PM »
For just a quick bite for lunch you got to stop by Real Chili and experience that "healthy" bowl of good stuff!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 09:53:18 PM »
I stayed at the aLoft recently. Great location for the games but just beware, there are virtually no doors on the bathroom. Had I known that in advance, it would have been a deal breaker for me. And the walls are pretty thin and the street noise is significant. 96Warrior circa 1996 would not have been bothered by any of that but I am an old fogey now. I'd rather take my chances on priceline or hotwire, and if you request 4 star and above you'll get the Hyatt or the Hilton, both of which are also good locations for the games.

UPitt89 - thanks for the well wishes - same to you! Enjoy your time in Milwaukee.

Far out.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 09:58:33 PM »
If you do the Lakefront tour, go on a Friday night. They have a great fish fry and polka music. It will be very crowded though.

Definitely recommend Water St. and Third St. for bars. Both are very close to the Bradley Center (which is on 4th St.)

Hilton and Hyatt are pretty nice. If you want something upscale, the Pfister and Astor are both very nice classic hotels.

Also the Ambassador Hotel is just west of MU's campus and has been completely rehabbed...its very nice. Wouldn't go much farther west though, the area gets a little shady.

Make sure you take a drive along the lakefront and see the Art Museum, which is a great work of architecture. Just head east on Wisconsin Ave. until you hit the water and go north along the lake.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:03:27 PM by Victor McCormick »

Dienerfor3

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 10:01:11 PM »
Real Chili

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
We are overdue for a copy of Francis's original recipe

MUMBA

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 11:18:35 PM »
It will be nice to actually root for Pitt on a trip to the Bradley Center for once.  I root for them except when they play MU.  I spent 8 years in the Burgh, and I went to plenty of games at the old Fitzgerald Fieldhouse.  Started seeing games in the Demetrius Gore era and left town in the Brian Shorter era.  So I have some history with the Big East.  I still stop by the Original O when I am back in town for work.  If you like the O, you will like Real Chili.

Personally, I take all my out of town guests to Sobelman's for the best burger ever, the Comet Cafe for breakfast and a piece of bacon jammed up in your Bloody Mary, and Wolski's for a classic Milwaukee Tavern experience.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 02:40:36 AM »
It will be nice to actually root for Pitt on a trip to the Bradley Center for once.  I root for them except when they play MU.  I spent 8 years in the Burgh, and I went to plenty of games at the old Fitzgerald Fieldhouse.  Started seeing games in the Demetrius Gore era and left town in the Brian Shorter era.  So I have some history with the Big East.  I still stop by the Original O when I am back in town for work.  If you like the O, you will like Real Chili.

Personally, I take all my out of town guests to Sobelman's for the best burger ever, the Comet Cafe for breakfast and a piece of bacon jammed up in your Bloody Mary, and Wolski's for a classic Milwaukee Tavern experience.

Actually, along the lines of the owners of Comet, I suggest Honeypie for an even better burger.  It's located on Kinnickinnic (for tourists this may be a little out of the way).  It has more crap thrown on it than you can imagine and is delicious.  Also, their pie is ridiculous.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 09:19:21 AM »
No one has recommended Soblemans yet?  really?

boyonthedock

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 09:23:21 AM »
If you like more adventuresome stuff, EE Sanes on farwell is some of the best thai i've ever had, and is only like 10 bucks a person. Mayura [also on farwell] is my favorite of milwaukees indian restaurants.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 09:33:52 AM »
All the great suggestions have already been mentioned, so I'll say this... Go Pitt!

I won't be at the games this weekend, but I do hope that the MU fans in attendance create a home-court atmosphere for the Panthers.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

boyonthedock

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »
Yes, go panthers. glad its Pitt in Milwaukee and not notre dame or louisville.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 09:55:25 AM »
Sobleman's is a must if you are in the mood for a great burger.  Also, a cool place to go is the Safe House.  The food there is nothing special, but not bad either.  Its the atmosphere that makes the place.  If you like James Bond movies and other spy movies, then this is the perfect place to go.  The entire restaraunt is decorated with a spy theme and there are many secret passages and locations throughout the place.  And of course, the Old German Beer Hall is a great place to grab a beer before or after the game.

feedback