Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UW scouting report (from a UW fan)  (Read 6338 times)

purpleandgold89

• Walk-On
UW scouting report (from a UW fan)
« on: March 14, 2010, 06:29:58 PM »
Ok just threw this together real quick... hoping to get a similar post from someone on your side talking about your team...

UW huskies

Coach Romar will likely start 3 guards
PG - Abdul Gaddy - 6'4" - just turned 18 and is very young, will likely start first 4 mins but really won’t play that much, sees the floor really well but a bit slow on D and doesn’t really hit the jumper all that well

SG- Isaiah Thomas -5'8" - names Pac10 tourney MVP, first team all pac10, is a soph... shoots about 31 percent from 3 but if he gets hot is nearly unstoppable, has really done a great job on D lately and can beat a lot of players off the dribble... if the refs call it close Marquette will be in serious foul trouble as he is great at drawing fouls in the lane on the drive

SF - Justin Holiday - 6'6" (7'2" wingspan) - 1st team all Def pac10, Junior and older brother of Jrue Holiday who’s now in NBA, doesn’t offer much on the offensive side of the ball but in the last few games has played more aggressively... Will be the hustle guy and grab rebounds, will guard your best player

PF/SF - Quincy Pondexter - 6'6" - absolutely dominating when he’s on but sometimes struggles in away games... very rarely shoots the three but relies on taking it to the hoop with back to basket... very good NBA style turnaround jumper... averaging 20 points and 8 rebounds a game and was snubbed from pac10 POY... if in open court he will likely throw down some sort of monster dunk... he likes to do that…

C/PF – Matthew Bryan Ammaning – 6’10” (7’4” wingspan) – has been off and on his entire carrier but right now is on fire, turn around hook shot a few feet from basket… has tendency to make stupid plays by dribbling in pant with 3 guys around him… his averages are a bit misleading since he played so poorly earlier this year… since 2/6 he is averaging around 14 points and 7 rebounds…

Off the bench:
Venoy Overton PG/SG (5’11”)
will be off the bench first from Abdul Gaddy and will play starters mins for the game, one of the best on the ball defenders in the NCAA and you will be calling him a thug and hate him by the end of the game… will draw at least 1 charge in the game and a few steals, he will always have a few bonehead turnovers… really loves to play D… scores in transition and fast breaks, can sometimes hit the 3 when stepping into it in rhythm… 
Elston Turner/Scott Suggs – SG- (6’4” and 6’6”) – both are shooters that are young, Elston has been more clutch lately so he will prob see more playing time but both are pretty interchangeable based on whomever is shooting better…
Tyreese Breshers – C (6’7” 255 lbs) – Huge body but was out for two years with a broken leg… will someday be very good but as of right now he give MBA a break and blocks shots and muscles guys around… typically picks up 3 fouls getting on the bus to go to the game…
Gant my play some but honestly he’s been terrible lately and hopefully we won’t have to play him… he can guard the 2-5 spot though so if Holiday gets in foul trouble he will prob get subbed in… can only hit a baseline jumper… that’s it…

Style of Play:
Really push the ball and crash the boards… if your team is not deep we will pound the inside until the refs have to blow the whistle… RUN RUN RUN is the motto and we will attempt to draw the foul on nearly every play… many teams have trouble with this because they simply don’t have the depth… Seattle U had to finish the game playing 4 guys because they all fouled out…
On defense we will play 99% man… sometimes full court pressure with Venoy leading the way… we rarely double team but instead go for the double team steal when the other teams player isn’t paying attention…
Venoy is known as a great defender, same with Holiday, but Thomas has really turned it on lately and has shut down Randle of Cal the last two times we have played them…
We will go for every offensive rebound….

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: UW scouting report (from a UW fan)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 06:35:04 PM »
So whats your outlook if MU is a team that generally makes more free throws then their oppenents attempt. I think this game will be very close and im extremely nervous but....if you send no double teams on Hayward or Butler you will be in a world of hurt.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »
I think UW will be a very, very difficult team to beat.  They are almost a mirror image of us in terms of size, and the way their season unfolded - they've won 8 of their last 10, 14 of their last 16.  That's NO JOKE
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 06:42:18 PM »
As an avid Kings fan I have to say this to any UW fan- thanks for Jon Brockman, the guy is a beast, but Spencer Hawes is terrible.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »
Should be a good game.  Sounds like both teams draw a lot of fouls.  Could be a 4 hour game if there is a call every possession.  Lazar has to be careful.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 06:44:17 PM »
That team sounds way to good to not almost make the tournament!What happened all year long that they had to come on at the end to make a run?

purpleandgold89

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 06:45:22 PM »
My guess is that Quincy and Haywood cancel eachother out... (stats wise that is)

I dont know your roster very well but if MBA (Ammaning) plays as well as he is playing i don't know how you guys are going to have an answer for him... he typically plays extremely well against teams that a shorter then him... and you guys are pretty short in the post... he can easily come out and guard around the 3 pt line if he has to and has really improved on the hedging the screen...

your 3 point shooting % is a bit scary and could kill us if were not disciplined however we typically do alright against teams that shoot a bunch of 3s... we tend to struggle against teams that take it to the paint or have a big guy in the middle...

you guys are def the best 3 pt shooting team we have played though...

would love to see a break down of your roster/style of play tho

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 06:46:47 PM »

SG- Isaiah Thomas -5'8" - names Pac10 tourney MVP, first team all pac10, is a soph... shoots about 31 percent from 3 but if he gets hot is nearly unstoppable, has really done a great job on D lately and can beat a lot of players off the dribble... if the refs call it close Marquette will be in serious foul trouble as he is great at drawing fouls in the lane on the drive

Curious,  is there any significance behind the name?  Were his parents Pistons fans?

Great matchup for Acker based on size.  

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 06:48:16 PM »
My guess is that Quincy and Haywood cancel eachother out... (stats wise that is)

Iwould love to see a break down of your roster/style of play tho

IT'S HAYWARD.

purpleandgold89

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 06:51:36 PM »
@ 6kings...

we played really really really poorly at the beginning of the year...

MBA was "turrible" and being ranked in the top 10 preseason made alot of our guys have the cool jackets on...

also we just couldn't win on the road at the beginning...  7 or our 9 losses were away games...

MBA getting better, us losing our cool jackets, and figuring out how to win on the road has given UW fans something to be a bit more confident about... 11 wins (6 of which were away games) in the last 13 games this team seems to finally be figuring it out...

Everyone and their mother knows we terribly underachieved at the beginning of the season...

MKEblue

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 06:53:27 PM »
Im sorry but I feel like this guy pumped up UW way to much. I know they have talent but i feel like there is a bit to much bias going on here. From the sounds of it, this team could but a 4 seed but they are not, so lets try and be realistic here. I still think it will be a close game as always

purpleandgold89

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 06:53:41 PM »
Curious,  is there any significance behind the name?  Were his parents Pistons fans?

Great matchup for Acker based on size.  

his dad lost a bet... seriously... and is his named after Isiah thomas...

they will tell the whole story during the game though... they do every freaking game... OMG its a bit annoying

(Haywood) :P

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 06:54:35 PM »
I am not that worried at all.  Of course any team can win or lose but MU is the most consistent team outside the top ten.  Is Washington capable of playing well and beating MU?  Of course, but they not consistent and have gotten their arses handed to by some poor teams.  We are good to go.  I think we have a great shot for sweet sixteen.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 06:59:33 PM by ErickJD08 »
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

purpleandgold89

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 07:00:58 PM »
Do you guys mainly play man or zone? or can you guys switch it up?

we struggle against the zone quite a bit but seem to do fairly well against man so just wondering?

also what type/style of offense do you guys run? alot of off ball screens? pick and rolls? clear outs?

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 07:03:32 PM »

we struggle against the zone quite a bit but seem to do fairly well against man so just wondering?

also what type/style of offense do you guys run? alot of off ball screens? pick and rolls? clear outs?

Mainly a man, double down defense which leads to more open threes than I would like.

Offensively, a wild drive and dish offense that uses up a lot of shot clock and often leads to open looks.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 07:04:12 PM »

Zone mostly to cover the size issue and we penetrate and find the open man ("make the extra pass").
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 07:05:20 PM »
Our offense? Swift perimiter passing and finding someone open for 3. Everyone on our team can jack up a tre and knock it down. Hayward and Butler will force Pondexter and that MBA guy out on the perimiter and then drive to try and get fouls, our offense is all passing til we get our shot.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 07:15:25 PM »
IT'S HAYWARD.

Cut the guy some slack. I can't name one player on Washington's team...

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 07:22:28 PM »
"We're not mercenaries. We're a militia."

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 07:24:41 PM »
Everyone - keep in mind that this team didn't get "hot" until they hit their conf schedule...the weakest conf in the country.  They're likely an 11 sead for a reason...but scary if they play to their potential.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »
I've seen UDub up-close like I had mentioned before. Definitely an up-tempo team.
But if IT pushes the ball too much, it can leave some of the team in the dust.

Thomas is a jitterbug. He DEFINITELY attacks the hole to draw fouls. That should concern MU as we cannot afford the foul trouble. Hope we can limit his drives and have him settle on the jumper because IT can definitely shoot his share of shots. And if he's missing, that's a good thing for us.

Pondexter is an enigma. A solid player through-and-through but he doesn't dominate games like you'd expect. Not a BIG NAME player as he can be billed but does the little things to get UW the win.

BMA is LONG. We've dealt with length before, so we need to play close attention to the boards and second-chance points. However, BMA is not assertive or aggressive like the Big East opponents we've faced.

My concern list:
- foul trouble (especially early)
- inability to consistently score (cannot afford scoring droughts)
- too much reliance on the 3 (but keep doing what got you here, right?)
- rebound margin
- TO margin
- fastbreak points by UW
SS Marquette

purpleandgold89

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 07:29:40 PM »
So whats your outlook if MU is a team that generally makes more free throws then their oppenents attempt.

check the facts...

UW = 855 FTA and 622 FTM
Marquette = 645 FTA and 477 FTM

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 07:32:04 PM »
check the facts...

UW = 855 FTA and 622 FTM
Marquette = 645 FTA and 477 FTM

When you have UCLA, Stanford, Wash U, Arizona, etc. fouling you to stay in the game, you can see why the numbers are skewed to UW.

But like I said (and you posted), Thomas WILL create the "and 1" situation.
SS Marquette

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 07:34:49 PM »
How does that Thomas guy compare to Villanova's guards?