Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does Georgetown want this game more than Marquette?  (Read 3427 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Does Georgetown want this game more than Marquette?
« on: March 12, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »
Here's my concern about this game.  We're kind of happy to be here, having just won against Villanova and a close game against SJU.  MU has already far exceeded expectations.

Meanwhile, the crazily erratic Hoyas feel that they should have won against us in Milwaukee, but we just won because MU shot lights out.  Honestly, it's kind of true.  When was the last time Cubillan hit six threes in a game?  Plus, Georgetown feels they are better than their record and deserve more than just making the semis.

Are we due for a bit of a letdown against a more motivated opponent?

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

boyonthedock

Re: Does Georgetown want this game more than Marquette?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 11:34:39 AM »
I don't think I would ever question this teams motivation. Monroe has disappeared before, and he can do it again.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:39:34 AM »
The difference between MU Men's Basketball Team circa March 2010 is miles away from MU Men's Basketball Team circa January 2010. We were good then. We've only gotten better. I am not worried.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:41:23 AM »
Im not so sure we actually shot "lights out"......these first 2 games we shot better then the game against gtown. Cooby was just red hot. Rest of team was 6-20, not very good.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:43:21 AM »
Despite Greg Monroe, I honestly believe MU is better than GU. In fact, I'm actually more worried about Chris Wright than Greg Monroe going into this game. When Chris Wright is on Gtown seems to roll offensively and they're tough to beat - he's just tough to keep out of the lane and it really opens things up. At the same time, I think MU presents a real difficult matchup for Gtown with our style of play and if we can shoot just a respectable percentage from three land I think we beat them.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »
Even though MU beat Georgetown once this year and beat them in the conference standings Georgetown is still ranked #22 in the nation and they're getting way more respect than MU.

I'm hoping that GTown come out feeling entitled to win this game tonight.  I hope MU comes out like they have every game this year: hungry and ready to take the win from the other team. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:44:38 AM »
Using that logic, MU probably should have lost yesterday, and perhaps even on Wednesday.

Until someone can tell me what, "Team X wants it more" actually means, I will always discount that suggestion. Beyond that, to suggest that anyone could "want it more" or play with more motivation than this MU team, would seem to require the person saying it has been living on the moon the past 4 months.

All of that said, I think Georgetown probably wins tonight, but certainly not because "they want it more."
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:46:09 AM by NavinRJohnson »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »
Monroe disappeared in our previous matchup, because of the defense we played against him.  Roughly the quick double-team like we did against Louisville's Samuels.  
Lazar did a great job against Monroe, with the assist to Butler.  

One big guy doesn't scare me, two or more does (ie. Syracuse).
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »
Despite Greg Monroe, I honestly believe MU is better than GU. In fact, I'm actually more worried about Chris Wright than Greg Monroe going into this game. When Chris Wright is on Gtown seems to roll offensively and they're tough to beat - he's just tough to keep out of the lane and it really opens things up. At the same time, I think MU presents a real difficult matchup for Gtown with our style of play and if we can shoot just a respectable percentage from three land I think we beat them.

Hoya Prospectus agrees with you on Chris Wright

http://hoyaprospectus.blogspot.com/2010/02/chris-wrights-scoring-and-georgetowns.html

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »
Keep Wright in check somewhat and don't allow Freeman to explode on us from 3 land and I really like our chances. Easier said then done of course, but that's the key.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 11:51:57 AM »
Hoya Prospectus agrees with you on Chris Wright

http://hoyaprospectus.blogspot.com/2010/02/chris-wrights-scoring-and-georgetowns.html

Dominic James was the perfect PG that could keep Wright in check with his strength and quicks. He's gone of course. So you go with Acker on him or DJO?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 11:52:55 AM »

Meanwhile, the crazily erratic Hoyas feel that they should have won against us in Milwaukee, but we just won because MU shot lights out.  Honestly, it's kind of true.  When was the last time Cubillan hit six threes in a game?  Plus, Georgetown feels they are better than their record and deserve more than just making the semis

Actually, GT shot 49%, their season average, and MU shot 39%.  GU killed us in the paint.  So, other than Cooby, not so good for MU.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=300070269

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 11:54:44 AM »
After seeing the effort this team has put forth, I will never question them 'not wanting' a game.

I'm excited about our chances tonight. If Cubillan can do half the job on Wright that he did on Reynolds that should keep him from going too crazy. And it will be interesting to see if we employ the same strategy we did on Samuels (Lville) against Monroe to shut him down.

I truly believe there are very few teams MU isn't able to beat, meaning Kentucky, Kansas, maybe a healthy Syracuse. Not saying we're going to beat everyone all the time, just saying I think we CAN beat almost anybody on any given night.

And yes, Gtown continues to get way more respect than we do, despite that we're #5 in the league and they're #8. Oh well. Just go beat their a$$ tonight.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »
Another key to tonight's game IMO is Joe Fulce with his length and rebounding ability. I'm assuming he didn't play much in our last meeting with Gtown because he wasn't playing much at that point. But Gtown has a lot of guys like Fulce - long and athletic so having Fulce should help us to combat that a little.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 11:59:09 AM »
Dominic James was the perfect PG that could keep Wright in check with his strength and quicks. He's gone of course. So you go with Acker on him or DJO?

After the job he did on Reynolds yesterday, why not Cubi?
He's probably got the best combination of of quickness and strength to matchup with Wright.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 12:00:47 PM »
Actually, GT shot 49%, their season average, and MU shot 39%.  GU killed us in the paint.  So, other than Cooby, not so good for MU.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=300070269

Three things

First, there is the truth, and there is the perception of the truth.  I read blog posts after the game from Hoyaland about how MU shot lights out.  Sure... maybe it was only Cubillan, but if a little-known player hits six threes that skews the perception of the truth.

Second, due to the threes, the eFG% matchup for that game was 50% MU to 53% GU, so the game was close on effective field goal percentage.

Third, MU won the last game on the turnover margin and offensive rebounding margin.  

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 12:19:19 PM »
They might want it more but I know we will give it our all.  Don't jump shooting teams that rely on 3 point shots typically struggle in games played over consecutive days.  I think we are every bit as good as GT but I do worry that are shots will come up short unless we drive to the basket hard and grab offensive boards to  create easier buckets down low.  We need some points in the paint this game to pull out a win.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »

And yes, Gtown continues to get way more respect than we do, despite that we're #5 in the league and they're #8. Oh well. Just go beat their a$$ tonight.

All the more incentive for us to win.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 01:21:15 PM »
MU is not just happy to be here and don't feel like they have exceeded expectations.  Zar has made it clear that they expected to be good and be in every situation they find themselves in.  Gotta love the attitude, and they will come out and win this game tonight.  I'll say it again MU v ND in the final with JB hitting the winner.

boyonthedock

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »
Hasn't Mu won like the last 5 games against g'town? they don't scare me.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »
Amazingly, Georgetown might be the only team that we are deeper than in college basketball...

I really hope Buzz mixes it up today and throws some extra bodies in there early to confuse G'town a bit and wear on them a bit, maybe even some foul trouble- Hopefully Fulce, buycks, and maybe even junior and ewill see some first half minutes, so that in the event of a close game (always probable with MU), we actually have more steam at the end

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »
I don't ever think that this team won't show up and play like their hair's on fire, frantic pace and calm at the same time.  Yep - we are happy to be playin gthis game, but THIS team's heart is huge - they WANT to win it. 

It will be a tough game for us, because G-town has been playing well.  We need Houdini and David Copperfield to make Monroe disappear again :)

GO MARQUETTE!!

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
i love how we play and I certainly wouldnt want to play any other way

BUT its just not conducive to three games in three days. a fear in the back of my mind the whole game will be that the steam just runs out. physically as well as mentally, its tough to stay that frantic, and to make sure your feet and your brain are in the right place.  Buzz has done a great job toughening these guys up to do that every night, but three in three is just really really tough.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 03:26:03 PM »

DJO - he's playing WAY better on D than he was last time we played Gtown.  Of course, Acker and Coobie aren't bad choices either.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »
Don't forget...although this is our 3rd game in 3 days, it's Georgetown's too.  Their depth isn't any better than ours.  And they probably aren't as well conditioned as our Warriors.

Plus, Buzz will outcoach JT3.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.