[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ESPN3  (Read 6648 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
ESPN3
« on: March 09, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »
Starting on April 4, ESPN360 will become ESPN3.  Well on their way to the ocho.

marq101

• Walk-On
Re: ESPN3
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 10:33:52 PM »
Any idea if this name change could eventually lead to becoming a cable network? It would be nice to have a third ESPN (in HD since ESPNU isn't HD in a lot of places) during weeks like these.  But I'm sure almost any other week they would have next to nothing to air during the day.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:07:03 AM »
Any idea if this name change could eventually lead to becoming a cable network? It would be nice to have a third ESPN (in HD since ESPNU isn't HD in a lot of places) during weeks like these.  But I'm sure almost any other week they would have next to nothing to air during the day.

Nope.... No linear channel will come of it, but that's part of what they are doing in their attempt to be more than linear....to broaden their delivery mechanisms.

Damon Phillips is leading the charge, former colleague of mine at DTV.  He was just named 40 most powerful people under the age of 40.  Smart guy (played football at Stanford), definitely knows his stuff.

http://realitytvwebsite.com/RealityTVNews/ESPN360-com-To-Become-ESPN3-com-In-April-With-Enhancements-To-User-Interface-Will-Accompany-Rename.html

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tvweek.com/2008/07/20/DamonPhillips.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tvweek.com/hot-list-08/&h=144&w=167&sz=19&tbnid=UHXS1dbtHShIZM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddamon%2Bphillips&usg=__8FIAI0il3-TRas_u7UhrESPIwP4=&ei=HjeXS6z6DJPQsgOhxsTBAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image&ved=0CBMQ9QEwAw

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:09:49 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

marq101

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:45:36 AM »
Nope.... No linear channel will come of it, but that's part of what they are doing in their attempt to be more than linear....to broaden their delivery mechanisms.

Damon Phillips is leading the charge, former colleague of mine at DTV.  He was just named 40 most powerful people under the age of 40.  Smart guy (played football at Stanford), definitely knows his stuff.

http://realitytvwebsite.com/RealityTVNews/ESPN360-com-To-Become-ESPN3-com-In-April-With-Enhancements-To-User-Interface-Will-Accompany-Rename.html

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tvweek.com/2008/07/20/DamonPhillips.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tvweek.com/hot-list-08/&h=144&w=167&sz=19&tbnid=UHXS1dbtHShIZM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddamon%2Bphillips&usg=__8FIAI0il3-TRas_u7UhrESPIwP4=&ei=HjeXS6z6DJPQsgOhxsTBAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image&ved=0CBMQ9QEwAw

Thanks for the info.  I'll be interested to see what the enhancements will be once the change is made.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:52:20 AM »

And eventually is my guess is that these types of channels are going to be easier to stream to right to your television anyway.  Really, the only limitation to that right now is the crappy internet wiring to people's homes.  In a decade however, my guess is most of these limitations will be gone.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 08:11:43 AM »
If ESPN360 is going to be called ESPN3 then are they going to call their new 3-D channel ESPN4 instead of ESPN3D (for the sake of linear branding across delivery mechanisms)?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 11:04:25 AM »
once Chicos gets another bird up the in sky, you'll see ESPN 14, with Chicos interviewing all of his celebrity friends.   ;D

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 04:26:09 PM »
Chico, when is DirecTV adding ESPNU-HD?

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »
once Chicos gets another bird up the in sky, you'll see ESPN 14, with Chicos interviewing all of his celebrity friends.   ;D

I thought that was the purpose of the Ocho  :)
The General has taken on a new command.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 10:38:52 PM »
Chico, when is DirecTV adding ESPNU-HD?

next month

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 10:42:59 PM »

And eventually is my guess is that these types of channels are going to be easier to stream to right to your television anyway.  Really, the only limitation to that right now is the crappy internet wiring to people's homes.  In a decade however, my guess is most of these limitations will be gone.

well, yes.  But it is a lot more complicated than that.  The content aggregators are not going to allow that to happen quite that seemlessly.  Plus you will still have enormous swaths of the country that won't be up to speed...look how many parts of the country today are still on dial up.

So yes, in theory and in some practice this will exist (it does today already) but the business aspect of all of this is going to make things much more complicated than just streaming content to the tv from the web

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 12:28:46 AM »
ESPN 360 was offensive to native americans

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 08:34:23 AM »
Speaking of DirecTv HD options, I was pretty surprised to find out from friends during the Olympics that DirecTv did not have CNBC HD.  To parphrase Buzz, "I don't mean this in a condescending way"... but I thought DirecTv was the far and away leader for HD?  Frankly I'm kind of surprised my TWC has more options.  How did TWC catch up (I understand Comcast does not have CNBC HD yet)?
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »
Speaking of DirecTv HD options, I was pretty surprised to find out from friends during the Olympics that DirecTv did not have CNBC HD.  To parphrase Buzz, "I don't mean this in a condescending way"... but I thought DirecTv was the far and away leader for HD?  Frankly I'm kind of surprised my TWC has more options.  How did TWC catch up (I understand Comcast does not have CNBC HD yet)?

I have DirecTV, and I remember watching a Canada hockey game on CNBC in HD...and according to the DirecTV guide, channel 355 supports HD broadcasts, perhaps the sport you were watching wasn't being shot in HD?

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/epg/theGuide.jsp

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »
I have DirecTV, and I remember watching a Canada hockey game on CNBC in HD...and according to the DirecTV guide, channel 355 supports HD broadcasts, perhaps the sport you were watching wasn't being shot in HD?

I concur.

On Direct TV if the channel/feed is HD, that's what you see.  IIRC
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 09:01:39 AM »

It wasn't me, it was a couple of buddies who each have DirecTv.  It was during US-Cananda Game 1.  
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »
Speaking of DirecTv HD options, I was pretty surprised to find out from friends during the Olympics that DirecTv did not have CNBC HD.  To parphrase Buzz, "I don't mean this in a condescending way"... but I thought DirecTv was the far and away leader for HD?  Frankly I'm kind of surprised my TWC has more options.  How did TWC catch up (I understand Comcast does not have CNBC HD yet)?

We are the leader, that doesn't mean we carry every channel.  

And we do have CNBC in HD.  What we don't have is MSNBC in HD....we're still trying to figure out how to compress Keith Olbermann's head enough to get it on a screen.   ;)

We have HD channels that others don't have and vice versa.   That would be like saying we're not the sports leader because we don't carry Versus right now (contractual issue) yet have NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB, etc, etc and broadcast more sports than anyone in the country.

Kind of a silly statement by you, quite frankly.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »
But isn't MSNBC kinda a big deal? Basically the liberal counterweight to Fox News? Can you imagine not having Fox News? What would we do without Sarah Palin? Wait, nevermind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 11:51:24 PM »
But isn't MSNBC kinda a big deal? Basically the liberal counterweight to Fox News? Can you imagine not having Fox News? What would we do without Sarah Palin? Wait, nevermind.

not really....there are other counterweights

ABC
CBS
NBC
CNN
PBS

Are just a few counterweights.

My favorite was Schuster using his Tweet account to say the reason MSNBC wasn't in HD was because Rupert Murdoch owned Directv.  That made me laugh since Rupert hasn't owned the company in 3 years.  We also werethe first to launch Al Gore's network, Current.  Also the first to launch Logo.  I love when Schuster opens his mouth.  LOL

And don't worry, it will be in Hd soon.

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »

Kind of a silly statement by you, quite frankly.

I wasn't trying to spark something.  If somebody asked me for my two favorable impressions of DirecTv I would have said

1) Every HD Channel
2) NFL Sunday Ticket

That you didn't have MSNBC (I wrong about game being on CNBC) was a surprise to me b/c as I mentioned I thought you had everything. 

I read something from the NBC-U people saying you could carry it, just out of curiousity, why don't you?  Fees?  Bandwith?  These decisions fancinate me...b/c I'm a dork.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »
not really....there are other counterweights

ABC
CBS
NBC
CNN
PBS

Are just a few counterweights.

My favorite was Schuster using his Tweet account to say the reason MSNBC wasn't in HD was because Rupert Murdoch owned Directv.  That made me laugh since Rupert hasn't owned the company in 3 years.  We also werethe first to launch Al Gore's network, Current.  Also the first to launch Logo.  I love when Schuster opens his mouth.  LOL

And don't worry, it will be in Hd soon.

what I find laughable, Chicos, is when I asked you in a PM, you couldn't respond with HOW those stations had 'liberal bias'.  Must just be your OPINION.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 03:39:03 PM »
what I find laughable, Chicos, is when I asked you in a PM, you couldn't respond with HOW those stations had 'liberal bias'.  Must just be your OPINION.

Actually I could and did.   Just look at the studies done, it's not hard.  I'd steer you to the Pew studies, or the several done by the Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason just for starters.

Or look at the polling by viewers in what they see are their viewpoints of those channels.  Maybe all these people are wrong, or maybe you just don't want to admit it.  By the way, those 5 channels listed, how many employees from them are now currently in the administration....is it up to 17 now.  Quite a recruiting ground.  LOL

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:42:05 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »
Actually I could and did.   Just look at the studies done, it's not hard.  I'd steer you to the Pew studies, or the several done by the Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason just for starters.

Or look at the polling by viewers in what they see are their viewpoints of those channels.  Maybe all these people are wrong, or maybe you just don't want to admit it.  By the way, those 5 channels listed, how many employees from them are now currently in the administration....is it up to 17 now.  Quite a recruiting ground.  LOL

Do you think the Obama administration is going to recruit from Fox News for their communications and media relations team?

What other sources should they pick from besides CBS, NBC, PBS, and ABC. Why wouldn't you use people from the industry?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »
Do you think the Obama administration is going to recruit from Fox News for their communications and media relations team?

What other sources should they pick from besides CBS, NBC, PBS, and ABC. Why wouldn't you use people from the industry?

I think many people at CBS, NBC, PBS, ABC, NY Times, etc  are already on the same page with that ideology long before they had to do any recruiting of any kind.

Walter Cronkite said it best...."of course the media is liberal".  No reason why I wouldn't listen to one of the best there ever was at stating the obvious.