Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I have to wonder the lack of Senior leadership is hurting this team?  (Read 5347 times)

79Warrior

• All American
In the past we have been fortunate to have good senior leaders. This year we have nothing.

mviale

• All American
Re: I have to wonder the lack of Senior leadership is hurting this team?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 11:39:29 AM »
Let me remind you that our seniors were nit Bound until the Big 3 arrived on campus.  Senior Leadership did not pull out a win in Western Michigan. Was it Senior leadership that brought us our lone final four presence in the last 30 years?

This team will recover, we have some health issues and we just lost on a buzzer beater.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 11:51:36 AM by mviale »
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 01:51:17 PM »
Leaders are leaders, class matters only a little.  All three of our soph guards have experience to match a lot of seniors.  Even with Wade, Jackson, Merritt, etc, I think TD was the competitive leader of our 2003 Final Four team.  We just have to play better. No missing intangibles or anything.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 02:14:02 PM »
Let me remind you that our seniors were nit Bound until the Big 3 arrived on campus.  Senior Leadership did not pull out a win in Western Michigan. Was it Senior leadership that brought us our lone final four presence in the last 30 years?

This team will recover, we have some health issues and we just lost on a buzzer beater.

didn't we start a senior in Robert Jackson?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »
We sure did and he was a great player for us.  But he only played with us for one season, and I don't think anyone would consider him the leader of that team.  At a minimum, he was third in line behind TD and DW. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 02:12:22 PM »
I guess I would agree that leaders are leaders... but I also think players and teams can mature together and become more consistent as they become upperclassmen.

You still need to have talent, but upperclassmen help set the example and can usually provide more consistant output because they have "been there, done that".

This teams is learning to win and learning to deal with expectations. Most coaches would agree that it is easier to be the "hunter" rather than the "hunted". I think this team is learning that they are going to get every opponents "best shot" because beating MU can make a teams tourney resume.

This isn't an excuse for how the team is currently playing, but I am saying a year from now this team may be in line for a #1 seed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 04:04:04 PM »
Yes, but none of the players who would have been seniors this year are leaders.   So even if Mason, Matthews, Christian, Bell had stayed, we would still have no leadership, and the sophs would not have had the room to grow and learn that they have.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 04:17:26 PM »
I think you discount the things a senior brings.   Does a senior with solid experience travel while attempting a wide open uncontested layup ( Lazar?)  Who would you rather have had at the Free Throw line down the stretch on Staurday?  Joe Chapman as a sophomore or as a Senior?   Repetition builds comfort and pressure makes diamonds, easy to crack or make mistakes the first few times but give me the same scenario in  a year or two and I will much better like the chances of Lazar, Wesley, Dj, and Jerel to convert those same situations.   

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 04:31:25 PM »
I think you discount the things a senior brings.   Does a senior with solid experience travel while attempting a wide open uncontested layup ( Lazar?)  Who would you rather have had at the Free Throw line down the stretch on Staurday?  Joe Chapman as a sophomore or as a Senior?   Repetition builds comfort and pressure makes diamonds, easy to crack or make mistakes the first few times but give me the same scenario in  a year or two and I will much better like the chances of Lazar, Wesley, Dj, and Jerel to convert those same situations.   

Agreed. Obviously all of these guys have been playing hoops all of their lives, but being a senior does make a difference.

Think about the differences between yourself as a frosh in college vs. being a senior in college. There is a big difference in maturity and ability to handle adverse situations (finals, spring breaks, internships, jobs, rent, bills, girlfriends, break-ups, road trips, etc. etc.)

Obviously the basketball players have a much different set of responsibilities and pressures than the average student, but the point is a senior is usually much better equipped to handle the responsibilities and pressures of big time basketball. EXAMPLES: Nova last year, UW this year

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 04:51:51 PM »
It is ludicrous to suggest that the fact Marquette lost an ENTIRE CLASS OF RECRUITS didn't affect the program.

It did.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 04:55:56 PM »
In the past we have been fortunate to have good senior leaders. This year we have nothing.

Perhaps...experience always helps.  Then again, as of Friday (10 days ago), I didn't hear peep about the lack of senior leadership.

I think too many people are in a panic right now.  We played pretty well at Georgetown down by 1 point with 7 minutes to play and within 2 possessions with 4 minutes to play.

DePaul, hey we lost.  They are on a huge roll right now.

Louisville, we should have won that game.  Congrats to Smith and the Cards for making great shots at the end.

This is the Big East, every game is tough.  Makes for a great league.  Nova needs tonight's game as much as we do.  Notre Dame is actually tied with us now and Pitt will be looking for revenge and a chance for the Big East title.

Tonight is big, let's see if we can pull it off.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 05:21:55 PM »
Chicos -- I, and a few others on this board, have been talking about the lack of seniors on this team all season long.

I do agree with you that we're not playing that badly. I didn't see the Louisville game, but I thought we did fine against DePaul (except on the scoreboard). And Georgetown just seemed to slip away from us in a hostile environment.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 05:26:53 PM »
Chicos -- I, and a few others on this board, have been talking about the lack of seniors on this team all season long.

I do agree with you that we're not playing that badly. I didn't see the Louisville game, but I thought we did fine against DePaul (except on the scoreboard). And Georgetown just seemed to slip away from us in a hostile environment.

I guess I missed it.

Was it like this during the 21 wins...DAMN WE WON TONIGHT BUT IF ONLY WE HAD MORE SENIOR LEADERSHIP. 

;)  Just playing with ya.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 09:12:28 PM »
PRN  you are correct the turnover is the reason we have no senior leadership and it has really hurt MU over the last 4 or so years.  I do not think anyone will argue that.  sarcasm on--great point by ChicoS that no one mentioned it during the wins!? Are you serious! Things like that are not brought up while someone is winning...I do not think you add anything to this board...
  But PRN we are what we are to bring up transfers at this point is pointless.  I think Crean as well as anyone at this point knows that we cannot win at this level with that type of turnover.  We all know that despite exchanging would be juniors with Freshmenis a catch 22, we need seniors for leadership.  Guys like Chapman and Grimm are vital to a team.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 09:27:27 PM »
enjoy the win fellas ~ things appear ok
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 09:42:36 PM »
  But PRN we are what we are to bring up transfers at this point is pointless.  I think Crean as well as anyone at this point knows that we cannot win at this level with that type of turnover. 

Actually, we cannot win at this level WITHOUT that type of turnover. 

In eight years there has been exactly one transfer that might have had some downside.  Other than that, every roster spot that has opened has resulted in an upgrade. 

I shudder to think what we'd be like this year without James, Matthews and McNeal, but with senior leadership like Carlton Christain or Dameon Mason.  Instead of fighting for a first round bye, we'd be fighting for a first round game.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 08:44:04 AM »
It is ludicrous to suggest that the fact Marquette lost an ENTIRE CLASS OF RECRUITS didn't affect the program.

It did.

I don't disagree with this, however when I talk about senior leadership I'm reffering to how much better this team will get. This team is going to be scary good in the next 2.5 years (and probably beyond). I am not reffering to poor recruiting or transfers. That is a tired argument that gets trotted out just like the mascot, the practices, the schedule, DJ going to the NBA, Novak not being able to handle the ball, etc. etc.

I think some of the losses this year would not and will not happen next year when this team has more upperclassmen leadership. Leaders are probably born, but good teams and chemistry can be manufactured with experience. This team is going through some adversity, and they are hopefully learning from it.

I cannot speculate if MU would be better this year if it had Christian, Niv, Bell, J. Mathews, etc. because I don't know who the underclassmen would be if those guys were seniors and juniors.

I can say this however, most of the seniors in Crean's history have had pretty good seasons... maybe not highlight seasons, but productive ones. Clausen, Mueller, Diggs, Harris, Merrit, Townsend, Diener, Novak, M. Jackson, R. Jackson, Chapman, Grimm, etc. etc.

They all may not be filled with great highlightes, but I would consider them productive. (I don't think Lott or Kinsella have been effective this year, but history tells us most seniors are effective).

Anyways, I just wanted to be clear. This team will get better when these current players are upperclassmen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 09:37:03 AM »
PRN  you are correct the turnover is the reason we have no senior leadership and it has really hurt MU over the last 4 or so years.  I do not think anyone will argue that.  sarcasm on--great point by ChicoS that no one mentioned it during the wins!? Are you serious! Things like that are not brought up while someone is winning...I do not think you add anything to this board...
  But PRN we are what we are to bring up transfers at this point is pointless.  I think Crean as well as anyone at this point knows that we cannot win at this level with that type of turnover.  We all know that despite exchanging would be juniors with Freshmenis a catch 22, we need seniors for leadership.  Guys like Chapman and Grimm are vital to a team.

Obsession hitting on all cylinders today in Indiana....nice Harry, nice.

feedback