Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is it unreasonable?  (Read 3660 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Is it unreasonable?
« on: March 01, 2010, 09:49:58 AM »
To expect this team to go 2-0 in the final two games?

I've been going back and forth on this a bit with NYWarrior.  His position is that MU really only needs to go 1-1 this week.  I agree that this is all MU needs to lock up a spot in the NCAA tourney.

However, if MU lost either of these games this week, I'd be pissed.  First, f*ck louisville.  Did you know we are 1-7 against them in our last eight games (2005-2009)?  Included in here?  Losing 99-52 on national TV, Amaroso's technical, Jerry effing Smith, and Buzz turning into a giant pool of sweat while the Devil Pitino kept cool in his white suit.  What happened to the cool back and forth rivalry?  Losing again... at home?  Not okay.

Then there's Notre Dame on Senior Day.  After the Georgetown/Jonathon Wallace game from two years ago and the Syracuse game from last year, I am flat out tired of the team losing on Senior Day (in some form of terrible collapse).  And especially losing to Notre Dame on Senior Day?  also not okay.

Honestly, if MU goes 1-1 this week, they secure an NCAA berth, but would lose a game that would suck.  Is that unreasonable?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Peoples_Republic_Warrior

• Walk-On
Re: Is it unreasonable?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 09:57:20 AM »
I definitely agree with you. These games should be tough (what big east game hasn't been, save providence at home?) but we're certainly capable of winning them.

By the way, senior day two years ago was actually against florida gulf coast. That game against georgetown when dominic fouled jonathan wallace was a game or two before that.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:57:35 AM »
I'll second the f*ck Louisville sentiment. There's no team I would rather beat year in and year out. You're right though, losing to ND on senior day would suck hard as well, especially since it's one of the only games I can make this year.

I know exactly where you're going with this. Yes, 1-1 gets us in the tournament for sure (which is all I really wanted heading into the season), but losing either of these games this week would be sick and gross.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:01:54 AM »
If this team makes the ncaa tournament, they could lose to my grandmothers assisted care retirement community all star team, and I would still be jumping for joy.  Losing to any team sucks, but lets step back and look at the big picture instead of staring at the ugly red bird in the corner.

LON

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:03:59 AM »
F*ck Louisville as well.

And ND can stuff a high hard one also.

Man I hate those teams.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:10:09 AM »
Win these two and lose first round at MSG.  Louisville is always a bad matchup, but I am sick of losing to them.  I don't think that these seniors have ever beaten Pitino, so let's get one.

ND is not going to surprise us.  I would love the national attention if Harangody came back for the last game and we beat them.  We know they can shoot, we know they are slow, and we know we can run on them.  ND cannot keep any of our players out of the paint.  ND cannot win at the Bradley Center.  I am not scared one bit of them. 

It might be unreasonable to expect 2-0.  If it were South Florida and Georgetown, 1-1 is ok. 1-1 also practically ensures us a 12 seed at least.  But Louisville and ND are probably two of our top 5 rivals.  We cannot lose to either and feel good about it.

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:15:23 AM »
I am scared of ND. They are a great shooting team, and do not turn the ball over. They play smart and can rebound inside.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:19:43 AM »
Don't forget to f*ck pitino also--he did it to karen Cypher
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Our last win against Looeyville was at their place in 2007. Lazar and Cooby were freshmen.

We haven't beaten UL at home since 2004 where the heroics were provided by none other than Dameon Mason.

We are 1-7 against Ville since 2004.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

LON

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 10:25:25 AM »
I am scared of ND. They are a great shooting team, and do not turn the ball over. They play smart and can rebound inside.

Except the first game they ever played defense was just this week.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 10:32:55 AM »
I don't care if an NCAA bid is on the line, even if we were 0-28, I'd still want to kick Louisville and ND's @sses.  I want them both, they're clearly our biggest conference rivals.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »
How long is 'gody out for?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 10:42:43 AM »
For the f*ck louisville crowd

Louisville wins 99-52.  Marquette has 22 turnovers and misses thirty shots.  Louisville gets 15 offensive rebounds and makes 53% from the field.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=250260097

Louisville wins 64-61.  They close the game on a 14-0 run to win.  Marquette turned the ball over once and missed three free throws, three 3-pointers, a jumper and two layups on their final nine possessions.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=250480269

Louisville wins 67-60 in overtime.  DJ forces overtime but MU goes scoreless over the final 4:15 of overtime.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=260600097

Louisville wins 61-59.  Jerry F*cking Smith.
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/louisville_02_17_07

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »
I was not too worried about the ND game until recently.  They have played themselves onto the bubble and if they beat UConn on Wednesday they are probably playing for a spot in the tournament against us.  Glad we are getting them at our place as they have struggled on the road notwithstanding the win at Georgetown.

On our side I really hope that the "11 wins gets us in and that's all we care about" mentality does not get to the players if we beat Louisville.  Its human nature to have a letdown when you've been working towards a goal for so long and you finally get there.  I do not want to see another loss on Senior Day, especially to ND if it means they make the tournament.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 10:46:35 AM »
If we go 2 - 0 this week, will be be ranked next week?

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »

We may want Gody back.  They seem to be playing better without him.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
One thing I noticed about all those scores Sugar posted was that we have barely scored 60 (included OT) in any of them.  We really need a good offensive effort against Louisville.  I think if we score in the high sixties we win.  They are not that good of a shooting team.  If it is low scoring again... well we know the results will be based on the past.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 10:54:41 AM »
If we go 2 - 0 this week, will be be ranked next week?

yes, we will be.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 10:57:16 AM »

as of today, at least the rest of the regular season, per Brey.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »
For the f*ck louisville crowd

Louisville wins 99-52.  Marquette has 22 turnovers and misses thirty shots.  Louisville gets 15 offensive rebounds and makes 53% from the field.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=250260097

Louisville wins 64-61.  They close the game on a 14-0 run to win.  Marquette turned the ball over once and missed three free throws, three 3-pointers, a jumper and two layups on their final nine possessions.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=250480269

Louisville wins 67-60 in overtime.  DJ forces overtime but MU goes scoreless over the final 4:15 of overtime.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=260600097

Louisville wins 61-59.  Jerry F*cking Smith.
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/louisville_02_17_07

What no Reece Gaines reference?  Slipping Sugar.

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 11:06:59 AM »
I agree we only 'need' to win one of two to guarantee an invite. But who cares about 'need'? How much fun has this season been by now?! I have two home games left on my season ticket package and I do NOT want to attend a loss. ESPECIALLY against these two teams.

Hate Lville, hate Pitino, hate everything Cardinals. (What is it about teams that wear RED?)
Hate the Domers, snooty and looking down their noses at us.

I will be there both games, going hoarse, not wanting a loss at all.

Both teams make me nervous for different reasons, can easily win both and can easily lose both. That's why the boys will need all of us screaming and yelling for them.

Bring it on!

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 11:16:31 AM »
What no Reece Gaines reference?  Slipping Sugar.

well played.

Except that the Reece Gaines shot happened when MU was on a great run against Louisville of our own.  From 2002 - 2004, we went 6-1 against them.

Honestly, that Reece Gaines shot has never really bugged me.  We won the return game on their floor, and that was just a wonderful overall season.

Probably should have included the 3OT game in Milwaukee that we lost too back in 2001.  Wasn't that also a senior night?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 11:45:54 AM »
F-this, hate that! Those Jesuits must be sleeping at the switch.