[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by swoopem
[Today at 11:59:16 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Before you rip on Cubillan...  (Read 7395 times)

GuyIncognito

• Starter
Before you rip on Cubillan...
« on: February 28, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »
Please get his nickname right.

ACCEPTABLE
Cooby
Coobie
Coobs

NOT ACCEPTABLE
Cubes (is a square, also sounds like pubes)
Cuby
Cubby (small bear, or nickname for cubs)
Cubie
Cubbie

Now, rip away, because he is terrible

krocheck

• Starter
Re: Before you rip on Cubillan...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:03:31 PM »
He has scored 15 points in this game.  Has he thrown up bricks, yes, but he's at least contributed significantly today.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »
Cannot play D
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 01:04:30 PM »
cubillian?

marquetteff03

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 01:06:47 PM »
He is a good player I just sick of him jacking up 3's early in the possession when we may have other options that are higher percentage. I like to see Jimmy and Zar get touches b4 Cooby, Coobs or whoever plays ratchet arm.

That being said he has made 2 of late which is good. But next time he misses I am all over him.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:26:53 PM »
So if I type cubi or cubby you're not going to know who I'm talking about, or you're just a control freak? Does it really matter?
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »
You gotta be a real jack nut to rip anyone on this team.

No one is perfect but all do something that contributes to success.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 01:35:15 PM »
I think he should be SOG.  no teal. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »
Homer and Mac said he's the player of the game.  Played 44 of 45 minutes without a turnover.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 01:36:56 PM »
yeah I don't really understand the hate...He had 16 pts, shot 50% from the field, was 2-6 from 3 (not great but not as bad everyone makes him out to be), 4 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block and 0 turnovers.

So what gives?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »
He took those missed threes at questionable times.  It was painful, I am actually surprised at the stat line he ended up with.  Very good going to the rack today, but his timing was a little off on the 3's.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 01:42:10 PM »
yeah I don't really understand the hate...He had 16 pts, shot 50% from the field, was 2-6 from 3 (not great but not as bad everyone makes him out to be), 4 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block and 0 turnovers.

So what gives?
I encourage you to watch Cubillan on defense.  Just him, don't watch the ball or the play.  Watch him from the time he picks his guy up at half court, to the time his guys either scores or gets an assist.  Your opinion on the Venezuelan assassin will change tremendously.  I will be willing to bet 40% of opposing teams points are directly because of a break down of his defense.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »
Rip on Cubillan? For today's game? Really?

He did jack up some 3s quicker than you'd like to see and missed the last FT but other than that I thought he was in the mix for just about every loose ball and had his best game (at least that I can recall) going to the bucket.

Good game for him in my opinion.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »
Obviously penetrating creates the paint touches Buzzard wants but it also is good for he and Mo b/c it increases the likelihood of them getting to the line throughout the game.  When they just sit back and jack, they end up with the ball in their hands in pressure FT moments, having not shot one all game.  I really like the aggressiveness in getting to the hoop.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
There are things that we could rip each and every player today with. I just don't understand why cubillan get's so much heat for the way he is playing. If you were to tell me he would have this stat line and jacked and also jacked up some questionable shots at questionable times during a big east game....I would have been thrilled. He went from nonexistent last year to being a solid contributor for us and in my eyes, I will take his aggressive play any day and take my hat off to him and Acker both stepping up this year. If they hadn't we would be at the absolute bottom of the league.

what the fulce?

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
Yea he took some bad 3's today but I can think of bad plays made by everyone today. I think some people just have it ingrained in them that he can't play well and have selective memory. I actually thought he played alright on defense and was hustling and came up with a couple of 50/50 at clutch points in the game. No turnovers plus his drives to the rack, my vote for SotG.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
You gotta be a real jack nut to rip anyone on this team.

No one is perfect but all do something that contributes to success.

Jack nut?  

Anyhow, he played a great first half, and in the second half went back to his old ways.  I think Buzz is confident that he knows what he's going to get out of Coobie, but his man was playing 3 steps off of him in the second half and that really clogged things up for MU.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 01:45:52 PM »
Agreed. He did a great job at taking it to the hole today and came up with some big big plays; 3 pt play and 3 ptr. At begining of OT. He was taking a lot of threes today but he was open, lay off because it was his night. He's taking good care of the ball and it doing what he is told to do. Therefore if you don't like it you might not want to watch because I don't think Buzz is changing anything up.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 01:52:06 PM »
Agreed. He did a great job at taking it to the hole today and came up with some big big plays; 3 pt play and 3 ptr. At begining of OT. He was taking a lot of threes today but he was open, lay off because it was his night. He's taking good care of the ball and it doing what he is told to do. Therefore if you don't like it you might not want to watch because I don't think Buzz is changing anything up.

Buzz may not make a change, but he's openly criticized Coobie for his shot selection.  He's the only player on the team that I see force offense for himself (some would call this selfish).  He did not do a good job of taking it to the hoop today.  He did a good job of taking it to the hoop in the first half.  Then they decided to let him shoot, and he continued to shoot bricks in big second half possessions.  I appreciate much of what he does, but the shot selection needs to improve.  He hasn't earned the right to force shots.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »
Buzz may not make a change, but he's openly criticized Coobie for his shot selection.  He's the only player on the team that I see force offense for himself (some would call this selfish).  He did not do a good job of taking it to the hoop today.  He did a good job of taking it to the hoop in the first half.  Then they decided to let him shoot, and he continued to shoot bricks in big second half possessions.  I appreciate much of what he does, but the shot selection needs to improve.  He hasn't earned the right to force shots.
Kudos to Coobey today.  My only continuing problem is his proclivity to take treys off the dribble.  I think he is zero for the season in that respect.  Needs to shoot treys off catch-and-shoot situations only.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 01:58:45 PM »
I think he should be SOG.  no teal. 

+ 1

In spite of his string of missed 3's, he played REALLY well today.  He was crucial early in the game, taking his man off the dribble and scoring in the paint, which got us off to a good start and enough of a cushion to win this game.  He is the SoG of today's game IMO.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
Jack nut?  

Anyhow, he played a great first half, and in the second half went back to his old ways.  I think Buzz is confident that he knows what he's going to get out of Coobie, but his man was playing 3 steps off of him in the second half and that really clogged things up for MU.

Yes, jack nut.  

I just don't see any reason to immediately after our 3rd road W in a row to jump on here and rip away at a starter who played 44 minutes.  Sure he does stupid things.  But so does Lazar (reach in fouls), so does DJO (lost on D), so does everyone.  

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »
Yes, jack nut.  

I just don't see any reason to immediately after our 3rd road W in a row to jump on here and rip away at a starter who played 44 minutes.  Sure he does stupid things.  But so does Lazar (reach in fouls), so does DJO (lost on D), so does everyone.  

Absolutely correct.  No reason to rip on ANY of our guys.  They each played their hearts out.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 02:04:56 PM »
Yes, jack nut.  

You are right, we should be praising the team.  Im guilty as anyone.  I just cant stand Cubillan and I honestly can't wait for him to be gone.  That said, what this team is doing is incredible and we should really be appreciating these awesome wins.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 02:06:25 PM »
Cubbie had a great heads up steal in OT not to add lazars key strip.

Do you guys think lazar takes questionable 3s at times? Or is he told to do that because he's the leader.