[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What will our record over the last four games be?

4 - 0
4 (7.3%)
3 - 1
21 (38.2%)
2 - 2
22 (40%)
1 - 3
6 (10.9%)
0 - 4
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Will MU win another game this season?  (Read 3809 times)

greenman

• Starter
  • 4,000 MU Fans on WI. AVE after Kentucky in elite 8
Will MU win another game this season?
« on: February 15, 2007, 11:19:12 AM »
I don't want a bunch of crap from all of the "half glass full, stop ripping DJ, its not the end of the world, its ok to lose on the road" guys, but if you think about it, will we win another game this regular season?

Louisville- we should, but they just killed Pitt at Pitt, and if we don't get Barro back, Padgent will walk all over the back court.

Villanova - Should be a win -- we match up well with them. But so should have Depaul, and NDSU

@ ND - They don't lose at home, and its always a heated rivalry, but should be a win

Pitt - So much hype for this game already, Pitt has a chip on their shoulder from last month, and they still have Gray.

Not saying we cant win all these games, just saying, I'm not going to be surprised if we drop 3 out of 4 (if we keep playing the way we have). What does everyone else think?
"I don't give a damn if he can't do nothing else. He can shoot, and I love the way he shoots. I don't care if he can't dribble, can't rebound, can't play defense... that kid can shoot the ball." - Tracy McGrady on Steve Novak

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
Record?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 11:29:47 AM »
Someone can merge this with the other topic on the subject.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Will MU win another game this season?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 11:52:29 AM »
You mean merge with this one?  I just guessed, maybe wrong..

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 12:10:32 PM »
I don't want a bunch of crap from all of the "half glass full, stop ripping DJ, its not the end of the world, its ok to lose on the road" guys, but if you think about it, will we win another game this regular season?

Are you saying you don't want optimists to reply?  Tough cookies.

Louisville - They're a streaky team, but we match up well with them. Pretty much dominated them at their place, W at the Bradley center.

Villanova - I haven't seen them much this year.  They've played a tough schedule and have a decent record.  They scare me more than UL, but they've also proven they're beatable (Just as MU has).  Since it's at home, I tip the scales toward MU.

@ ND - Pretty simple to me - stop Carter and we win.  Of course, have to defend the 3-ball well too, but we've done that so far this year.  MU walks in there with the confidence to win at ND (after last years experience) and gives ND another loss.

Pitt - TOUGH TOUGH Game.  Pitt will have a chip on their shoulder.  National Marquette Day, Senior Night, Gameday all put a lot of pressure on the game.  Marquette hasn't done well in the high pressure situations, and I think we lose.  Can win, but it'll be tough with all the distrations.

greenman

• Starter
  • 4,000 MU Fans on WI. AVE after Kentucky in elite 8
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 12:40:53 PM »
theres a difference btwn optimism and realism.

and wouldn't a true optimist pick MU 4-0 not 3-1? ;D
"I don't give a damn if he can't do nothing else. He can shoot, and I love the way he shoots. I don't care if he can't dribble, can't rebound, can't play defense... that kid can shoot the ball." - Tracy McGrady on Steve Novak

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 12:50:57 PM »
If Louisville plays their zone as aggressively as they did against Pitt we lose----if they it as they do most of the time ----we win. Louisville's execution of their zone vs Pitt was as good as I have ever seen a zone worked.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 12:52:51 PM »
and wouldn't a true optimist pick MU 4-0 not 3-1? ;D

I wanted to, and I'd gladly trade a loss @ ND with a victory over Pitt (since I'll be at the Pitt game), but those are my best guesses as of now.

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 01:13:17 PM »
You mean merge with this one?  I just guessed, maybe wrong..

This would be the one, thanks!

Louisville - They're a streaky team, but we match up well with them. Pretty much dominated them at their place, W at the Bradley center.

Villanova - I haven't seen them much this year.  They've played a tough schedule and have a decent record.  They scare me more than UL, but they've also proved they're beatable (Just as MU has).  Since it's at home, I tip the scales toward MU.

@ ND - Pretty simple to me - stop Carter and we win.  Of course, have to defend the 3-ball well too, but we've done that so far this year.  MU walks in there with the confidence to win at ND (after last years experience) and gives ND another loss.

Pitt - TOUGH TOUGH Game.  Pitt will have a chip on their shoulder.  National Marquette Day, Senior Night, Gameday all put a lot of pressure on the game.  Marquette hasn't done well in the high pressure situations, and I think we lose.  Can win, but it'll be tough with all the distrations.

I'm actually most afraid of 'Nova on this list.  Except for that one hiccup early in the season we've seemed to struggle the most with athletic big men / forwards.  I've only seen Sumpter once this year (in the ND game) and he looked like he could give us trouble.  As you said, 'Nova's definitely proven that they are beatable (Sumpter only had 8 against Cincy yesterday) but I like our chances over Pitt better than 'Nova. 

I voted for 3-1 because all of our remaining games will be tough but winnable.  I don't think there are many teams in the country that would come out of those 4 unscathed.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 02:47:48 PM »
FWIW, Pomeroy's latest update has us going 2-2. 

Also interesting to note though, that according to his numbers, we have a MUCH better chance of beating Pitt (47%) than we do of winning at ND (30%).

http://kenpom.com/sked.php?y=2007&team=Marquette&t=p

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 05:37:52 PM »
I dont understand all this talk of "should win" against any of the opponents left on the schedule. Why "should we beat" Louisville? They are immensely talented. They had injury/discipline problems for much of the year, and appear all in order now and on a roll. The guys were lucky to win game 1 in the 'Ville, but don't forget James put the team on his back for a stretch and just hit anything he threw up. What if he has a typical cool shooting night and those dont fall? Probably a loss. Character is playing now and will be a load to stop. Padgett is a premier big man who can play with his back to the basket. Even Barro's wingspan didn't stop him from outside hook shots in the first game. He is very tough. I could go on and on, but this game worries me. I was obviously hoping for a win @ DePaul as this game wouldn't be AS big, but now its huge. Tied for 3rd place, a lot riding on this.

This is a tough schedule coming down the home stretch...I sure hope the boys take care of business this weekend!!!