[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Achilles heels  (Read 3654 times)

williewarrior

• Walk-On
Achilles heels
« on: February 15, 2007, 05:39:38 AM »
It appears that we have three of them, and they will once again hurt us down the stretch, and as we enter tourney action
~~~Lack of a credible inside presence
~~~Useless three point shooting. 6 for 21. This is the poorest three point shooting team I have seen in thirty years at Marquette. You have to put that at Crean, as he should have recruited some
~~~Poor free throw shooting. 11 for 21.

These three things will kill us. It is also beginning to look like we are doing our usual late season "fold" When will Crean geta clue as to how to sustain a team down the stretch. (Aside from the final 4 year, where Wade carried the team.

As far as James goes, he does have plenty of talent, but there is no way he is ready for the NBA. I am wondering how it will work out next year, because we have too many scholarships. Who will Crean run off next?

I hope we can finish strong--the Loserville game will answer that question. A loss to them at home will put this year's nail in the coffin. Hopefully, next year will be the year, if Mbakwe can develop inside and Christopherson can shoot the three.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Achilles heels
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 05:54:12 AM »
It's funny... I am no Marquette yes-man, but these type posts cracked me up...

- We're Top 25 in the country

- We are currently tied for 3rd in the Big East

- We are getting mentions as a top four seed in many bracket predictions

Meanwhile Syracuse and UConn, with Hall of Fame coaches, are under us in the Big East standings.

One final point: am I the only one who remembers big games by Diener, Novak, and Jackson during our Final Four run?  Those three must laugh when people say Wade carried us to the Final Four.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 07:08:05 AM »
right, Dano. Watch the tapes of the first two tourney games in our Final Four run. Travis, who is my mind is the best overall four-year player in MU history, singlehandedly won us the Holy Cross game and then he and Stevie beat Missouri. That was Not a one-man team.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 07:31:00 AM »
Yes, we're in the top 25 in the country, yes we're tied for 3rd in the big east, yes we're getting mentioned as a top 4 seed in the tournament. I believe I'm not only speaking for myself, but perhaps most MU grads/fans that all these things contribute to very high (maybe unreasonable at times) expectations.  The key is controlling emotions when we lose a game like we did last night and having realistic expectations.

ONeills Barstool

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 07:43:52 AM »
The key is controlling emotions when we lose a game like we did last night and having realistic expectations.

I don't think it was unrealistic of anybody to expect MU to pick up another road W last night.  Despite playing quite poorly, the game was still able to be had, right down to the end where atrocious shot selection sealed our fate.  That is what makes the loss so painful - despite scratching and clawing through turnovers, missed bunnies and open looks, the team got the lead back and could have/should have won the game.   

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 09:06:58 AM »
The key is controlling emotions when we lose a game like we did last night and having realistic expectations.

I don't think it was unrealistic of anybody to expect MU to pick up another road W last night.  Despite playing quite poorly, the game was still able to be had, right down to the end where atrocious shot selection sealed our fate.  That is what makes the loss so painful - despite scratching and clawing through turnovers, missed bunnies and open looks, the team got the lead back and could have/should have won the game.   

Anybody else think that, besides the Wisconsin game and maybe Georgetown, we haven't been "beaten"? Maybe I'm giving our guys too much credit and not enough to the opponent, but it seems that in each of our other 4 losses (NDSU, 'Cuse, PC and DePaul) MU has played terribly. I really feel we 'should' have won each of those games. Is Marquette the only team (besides UW & GU) that has beaten Marquette? Just a thought. Anyone?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 09:15:05 AM »
Anybody else think that, besides the Wisconsin game and maybe Georgetown, we haven't been "beaten"? Maybe I'm giving our guys too much credit and not enough to the opponent, but it seems that in each of our other 4 losses (NDSU, 'Cuse, PC and DePaul) MU has played terribly. I really feel we 'should' have won each of those games. Is Marquette the only team (besides UW & GU) that has beaten Marquette? Just a thought. Anyone?

I do. here is teh exact comment I posted just after the G'town loss...

Villanova, Louisville, and Pitt will all be tough, but I honestly believe the only team that can beat Marquette the rest of the way is Marquette. Entirely possible and perhaps even likley, but I think our next winning streak starts Wednesday.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 11:10:22 AM »
Unfiltered...Providence, Syracuse and Georgetown smoked us.
We are not a four seed no need to drink the cool aid.
We are precariously hanging onto a 20 to 25 ranking at best

It's easy to say we beat ourselves but the last time I looked, the team with the most points at the end of the game usually comes out the winner.  Our Defense, FT% and 3PT% are scary poor.

Now the good news...we seem to have the ability to rebound from a poor stretch.  Our team is at its best it seems when the players play their roles on O and defend, turning turnovers into up-tempo fast break points.  THAT team has not showed up at all these last couple of games...when will they return?

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 11:35:52 AM »
i always get a laugh at how many posters come out after losses that have less than 10 or 20 posts.  as soon as we lose a game, here come the rush of people that haven't posted since our last losing streak.

welcome back irrational, over-reacting, so called fans.  go ahead and say its part of being a fan to be critical, but i think many people agree that some of the people posting now are being over critical.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 02:18:03 PM »
I love this team and its achievements to date but you gotta take the good with the bad and get over the 'more posts after a loss thing.'   It's good to rah rah things to death after a win but when you (anyone) sees what is happening consistently in these losses, it begs a discussion and a dose of reality from fans.  I'd be more concerned if there was no chatter at all after a loss.  Also, the number of posts are not relevant to whether a person is a fan.  You are either a fan or not.