[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bulls Clear the Way for Wade?  (Read 7670 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Bulls Clear the Way for Wade?
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:17:15 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=4922618

The Chicago Bulls and Milwaukee Bucks have agreed to a deal in principle that will send John Salmons to the Bucks for the expiring contracts of Kurt Thomas and Francisco Elson, sources said on Wednesday.

The deal allows the Bulls to clear Salmons $5.8 million salary off the books for next season. That puts them roughly $20 million under the cap next summer as the Bulls make a push to sign free agents like LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

I realize that the current teams of the free-agents can offer around $30 million more than other teams, but the Bulls according to several reports will make a serious attempt to land 2 of the big free agents this offseason.

I would love for Wade to come to Chicago not only because I am a Bulls fan but for Marquette as well.  If Wade were to come to the Bulls, I'd assume he would have more of a presence at Marquette being only 90 miles south.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Bulls Clear the Way for Wade?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »
No way will Wade give up the state income freedom in FL!
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:32:46 PM »
Wade may have more of a presence at IU than MU if he becomes a Bull.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:34:37 PM »
Not once TC gets shown the door. ;D

Good point, though!

smrunner99

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:13:24 PM »
you can play in Chicago and still be a resident of Florida for tax purposes.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:25:23 PM »
Bulls don't want Wade.  They want Bosh and Joe Johnson.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 11:04:16 PM »
Bulls don't want Wade.  They want Bosh and Joe Johnson.

That's not true. If Wade was a plausible option, they would gladly take him. That said you are correct in there plan is Bosh/Johnson

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 11:12:38 PM »
Live in Chicago and always wanted to see wade be a bull. He has said in the past it's always been a thougt to be home close to his family (+ hs, college). IMO this could be the best backcourt hometown guards even on the same team.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 08:15:09 AM »
I don't know if there is enough ball to go around with Wade and Rose.

Neither is really a ball hog, but both do their best work with the ball in their hands.

Joe Johnson is not as good as Wade, but might be a better fit for the Bulls because he can still be effective playing without the ball.

Rose
Johnson
Deng
(insert player) (thomas?)
Noah

That's a pretty decent line-up. Just need to get the right role players to fill the gaps. Kirk Hinrich would be a great 6th man, but I'm not a master of the NBA salary cap, so I don't even know if it's possible for the Bulls to keep him and get Johnson.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 08:32:48 AM »

Neither is really a ball hog, but both do their best work with the ball in their hands.

Joe Johnson is not as good as Wade, but might be a better fit for the Bulls because he can still be effective playing without the ball.

Rose
Johnson
Deng
Chris Bosh
Noah

That's a pretty decent line-up. Just need to get the right role players to fill the gaps. Kirk Hinrich would be a great 6th man, but I'm not a master of the NBA salary cap, so I don't even know if it's possible for the Bulls to keep him and get Johnson.

I inserted a player for you.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 09:06:35 AM »

Rose
Johnson
Deng
(insert player) (thomas?)
Noah

No offense buddy, but I'm not sure you really know the NBA.  IF the Bucks trade Kurt Thomas and Elson (according to JSOnline this morning, its Joe Alexander and Warrik) They won't be keeping either of them on the roster.  This is a salary dump. 

Secondly, there is pleny of ball to go around with Wade and Rose.  Combined they score 46 a game.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 09:22:27 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=4922618

I realize that the current teams of the free-agents can offer around $30 million more than other teams, but the Bulls according to several reports will make a serious attempt to land 2 of the big free agents this offseason.

I would love for Wade to come to Chicago not only because I am a Bulls fan but for Marquette as well.  If Wade were to come to the Bulls, I'd assume he would have more of a presence at Marquette being only 90 miles south.

The Bulls have defnitely put themselves in a great cap situation.  Right now they have approximately $31.9 million in contracts for next year with an expected cap of around $65 million, however that includes a $6 million qualifying offer to Tyrus Thomas which can be renounced prior to June 30th, which would make him an unrestricted free agent.  That would give them $37.9 million in cap room, with the maximum deals for Wade, Bosh expected to be around $18.5 million and Joe Johnson prolly around $17 million.  

In addition, they would also have the midlevel exception (approximately $5.8 million) and the bi-annual exception ($2.08) million to fill out their roster, even if they were over the cap.  However, if they can somehow unload Hinrich, that gives them another $9 million in cap room, but I just don't think that's likely without the Bulls taking back some future salary as well or unloading a few draft picks.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 09:23:38 AM »
No offense buddy, but I'm not sure you really know the NBA.  IF the Bucks trade Kurt Thomas and Elson (according to JSOnline this morning, its Joe Alexander and Warrik) They won't be keeping either of them on the roster.  This is a salary dump. 

Secondly, there is pleny of ball to go around with Wade and Rose.  Combined they score 46 a game.

What did 2002 say that was incorrect regarding salary?

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 09:32:56 AM »

Perhaps he wasn't referring to Kurt Thomas, but rather Tyrus Thomas?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »
No offense buddy, but I'm not sure you really know the NBA.  IF the Bucks trade Kurt Thomas and Elson (according to JSOnline this morning, its Joe Alexander and Warrik) They won't be keeping either of them on the roster.  This is a salary dump.  

Secondly, there is pleny of ball to go around with Wade and Rose.  Combined they score 46 a game.

As previously stated, I'm not master of the NBA cap, so I don't know what is possible after this trade and/or in the off season.

I will never pretend that I know the ins and outs of NBA salaries. I'm not expert in this area. I never claimed that I was.

EDIT: I was referring to Tyrus Thomas in my previous post, not Kurt Thomas. I know the Bulls want to dump Tyrus, but if they don't find the right deal, maybe they keep him.

As far as Wade and Rose go, certainly they could co-exist, but my point is that each of them is most effective with the ball in their hands. Both are great passers, so that certainly counts for something. BUT, if Wade slashes and kicks out to Rose, he's not a great jumper shooter. The same can be said for Rose slashing and kicking to Wade. This could be overcome by having great shooters in other positions, but I don't see a lot of great jump shooters on the Bulls roster.

Now, Wade proved in the Olympics that he can play with other talented players without dominating the ball, so maybe him and Rose is actually a great paring.

BUT, that was a short run playing international basketball, not an 82 game season.

I LOVE Dwyane (my favorite player), but he would probably be best paired with a jump shooting PG. EXAMPLE: I think Steph Curry and Wade could be very good.

Rose is a very good player, but he would probably be best paired with a SG who could play well without dominating the ball. Right now Johnson has the offense running through him in ATL, but he's a good enough shooter that he can play well without the ball in his hands all of the time.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:47:44 AM by 2002MUalum »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:20 AM »

Yea, I was thinking Tyrus.

I know the Bulls would like to deal him, but if there aren't any good offers, maybe they keep him.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
As previously stated, I'm not master of the NBA cap, so I don't know what is possible after this trade and/or in the off season.

I will never pretend that I know the ins and outs of NBA salaries. I'm not expert in this area. I never claimed that I was.

EDIT: I was referring to Tyrus Thomas in my previous post, not Kurt Thomas. I know the Bulls want to dump Tyrus, but if they don't find the right deal, maybe they keep him.

As far as Wade and Rose go, certainly they could co-exist, but my point is that each of them is most effective with the ball in their hands. Both are great passers, so that certainly counts for something. BUT, if Wade slashes and kicks out to Rose, he's not a great jumper shooter. The same can be said for Rose slashing and kicking to Wade. This could be overcome by having great shooters in other positions, but I don't see a lot of great jump shooters on the Bulls roster.

Now, Wade proved in the Olympics that he can play with other talented players without dominating the ball, so maybe him and Rose is actually a great paring.

BUT, that was a short run playing international basketball, not an 82 game season.

I LOVE Dwyane (my favorite player), but he would probably be best paired with a jump shooting PG. EXAMPLE: I think Steph Curry and Wade could be very good.

Rose is a very good player, but he would probably be best paired with a SG who could play well without dominating the ball. Right now Johnson has the offense running through him in ATL, but he's a good enough shooter that he can play well without the ball in his hands all of the time.

gotcha, my mistake :)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »
you can play in Chicago and still be a resident of Florida for tax purposes.

He will still be taxed for the income he earns in Illinois....which instead of 2 or 3 games a year, becomes 41 games a year not including playoffs.  IOW, half of his income will be subject to higher tax rates.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
Come on, do you really think a guy making $20million a year cares if he pays an additional $600,000 in taxes? One call to Nike from his agent will take care of that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 12:47:36 PM »
Come on, do you really think a guy making $20million a year cares if he pays an additional $600,000 in taxes? One call to Nike from his agent will take care of that.

Absolutely they care.  That's why so many of them have primary residences in Florida, Nevada and Texas.  No state taxes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 12:57:32 PM »

I'm sure you don't care if you have to give up an extra 3% of your income in taxes either.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »

Yes.

See Antoine Walker, and the roughly 70% of professional athletes who go bankrupt after they retire.  $600K extrapolated over say 5 years, + lost interest on that money at a conservative rate of 5%, that 600K is now is about $4.1 million.  

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364/index.htm

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »
Slightly OT:  The Jazz traded Ronnie Brewer to Memphis for a protected 1st round pick.

Totally opens up some more playing time for Wes.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »
We are talking about DWade in this post, not other professional athletes. I just think state income taxes are a non-factor for him and where he signs. No matter where he signs, he can still keep his Florida residency and shelter some of his income from state taxes.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 05:13:55 PM »

They dealt Tyrus for expiring contracts and a protected first round pick.