Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: this is the worst crowd i've seen in years  (Read 24304 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: this is the worst crowd i've seen in years
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2010, 08:06:56 AM »
We have a great fight song (thank you band) and I'd love to figure a way to get EVERYONE into it.

Letting the band play it would be a start.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
Kinda funny, Musberger is bagging on the Syracuse crowd for not making enough noise in a very close game against Louisville.

NumenFlumenque

• Walk-On
  • Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
Kinda funny, Musberger is bagging on the Syracuse crowd for not making enough noise in a very close game against Louisville.

It's actually Sean McDonough.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »
McDonaugh is a Syracuse alum, by the way.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2010, 01:43:13 PM »
Yeah, my bad, caught that coming back from the break.  Len Elmore's getting into the act saying "The Loud House actually isn't too Loud," though.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2010, 02:24:25 PM »
USF is unranked and isn't a big name school. A lot of students and quite a few "regular" fans are more inclined to spend their Saturday nights at a Marquette game if they're playing one of the big boys as opposed to a ConfUSA-type opponent. I'm not defending the lackluster atmosphere, but that's just the way it goes.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2010, 02:26:02 PM »
USF is unranked and isn't a big name school. A lot of students and quite a few "regular" fans are more inclined to spend their Saturday nights at a Marquette game if they're playing one of the big boys as opposed to a ConfUSA-type opponent. I'm not defending the lackluster atmosphere, but that's just the way it goes.

The stadium was packed.  That's the problem.  They're at a game that's pretty close and the kids only get loud for tshirts. 

warriormom

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2010, 02:37:42 PM »
Don't think it was that bad.  Let's face it, to most students USF doesn't bring out the same intensity as ND, Pitt, Loserville.  I think the whole crowd has been subdued this year, not just the students.
But I think enthusiasm is building.  We are getting excited about these new players, getting to know them. 
When I got there right before the National Anthem there were about ten rows of students in the upper bowl.  There were alot of empty seats in the lower bowl too.  It filled up.  People cheered. 
I think the handling of time outs is lacking this year.  Can't remember what had just happened but they played Zombie Nation and the announcer  is talking over it about the t-shirt toss.  Totally killed the raucousness of the students.  And they need to get rid of the We Are Marquette in the middle of it.
Too many timeouts with parade the donors etc....
We are in a rut.  Everyone knows what is played at what timeout.  Mix it up!!!  Think outside the box

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »

Too many timeouts with parade the donors etc....

I agree.  Last night they had three such ceremonies.  Save them for half time.  Which, by the way, was awful.  A Saturday night game and the best we can do at half time is some dance studio show?  Nothing against the young ladies, but good grief, I think we can do better.  No wonder so many run int the blue and gold room, or whatever they call it.  And that's another beef of mine--can't they flash the lights or something and let the folks in that room know that half time is over?  Get your arses back into the stadium and cheer your team.   And I have passes--hardly ever go in there--....
Ludum habemus.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
Like I said, I didn't notice it as a particularly bad crowd, but I have to ask, what is the deal with that t-shirt cannon?

Do those kids even know how to use it? Isn't the point to shoot those shirts deep into the crowd or into the upper deck? The way they're currently using it is pathetic. They could throw the shirts further than that.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Like I said, I didn't notice it as a particularly bad crowd, but I have to ask, what is the deal with that t-shirt cannon?

Do those kids even know how to use it? Isn't the point to shoot those shirts deep into the crowd or into the upper deck? The way they're currently using it is pathetic. They could throw the shirts further than that.

At least one of the male cheerleaders can.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

SD Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2010, 05:02:41 PM »
Frat boy? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
I was at the game.  Maybe my 10th of the year.  The student section went most of the way up the upper deck.  It actually was one of the largest crowds of the season.  Of course things aren't like last year.  The Big 3 are gone and folks are a bit spoiled.  The reality is that the 2009-10 team is worthy of our full support.  Hopefully Pitt will be well attended.  Count on the first sellout for the ND game if they keep moving forward.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »
I was at the game.  Maybe my 10th of the year.  The student section went most of the way up the upper deck.  It actually was one of the largest crowds of the season.  Of course things aren't like last year.  The Big 3 are gone and folks are a bit spoiled.  The reality is that the 2009-10 team is worthy of our full support.  Hopefully Pitt will be well attended.  Count on the first sellout for the ND game if they keep moving forward.

Agree. I noticed a pretty decently sized crowd, if not one of the largest this season. It wasn't that loud or anything but this wasn't the type of game that was high in energy. If anything I'll suggest that the fans come up with more clever signs. When I was a student, there were clever signs. Thing is I don't care if a few hundred students or the entire student body shows up. I'm not going to a game to watch them. I'm going to watch the guys on the court. I don't know what kind of work load or how responsible the students are now but I can understand if things get in the way of the basketball games.

It amuses me how much arrogant old men on these boards love to start measuring contests with "back in my day..." when today IF they show up to the game today, they are sober -because mixing 2 beers with your grapefruit sizes prostate isn't fun- and wouldn't be able to stand for over 20 minutes without being worried about breaking their hip. Can you old guys leave the "back in my day" lectures for your neighbors and grandkids? No one here cares.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2010, 09:32:17 PM »
Let me guess, all the frat boys get their leashes yanked and have to go on Valentine's dates?

Thanks, as a former fratboy i appreciate your assertion that:
A) the crowd needs frat boys or it will suck.
B) they are the only men with girlfriends.

Quite an accomplishment for 7% of the MU student population.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2010, 08:30:37 AM »

He never said they were out on dates with females.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2010, 08:43:25 AM »
I was at said game and I thought the student section was fairly weak. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2010, 09:00:35 AM »

Try joke.  Sensitive much?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2010, 09:30:44 AM »
I agree the crowd was a bit subdued, but from my perspective, that is largely because the game was never really in doubt. At no point did I think MU was not going to win.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2010, 10:17:31 AM »
As others have said the crowd really wasn't that bad. Also if you weren't there then you have NO right to talk. I had friends in town from Portland, KC and NYC this weekend. To all of the people who were angry about the crowd while sitting on the couch shame on you, by a ticket.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »
Game started... Upper bowl of student section was empty.  I'll upload the pic tomorrow.  Even students on campus said the crowd sucked

I would like to see that pick. Maybe it was 5 min into the game, but I remember it being almost packed. I was there at 7 and had to sneak into the lower bowl while the rest of my group was upper deck. Let's all freak out cause college students aren't on time. Have you ever seen a badger football game student section? Half of them don't show up til halftime.

I find this whole idea stupid. Are you ripping on college students because they don't put bball as the highest priority in their lives? To me it comes across as that person is an idiot cause they don't feel the same way I do.
Signed,
Former President Frat Boy
 ;D

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2010, 10:52:02 AM »
As an old fart in defense of current students, it was easier to get that "packed house" excitement at the MECCA than it is in the BC.  I like the BC, but size does matter - this time in a negative way!  :D

(Former Frat Boy Recording Secretary)

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2010, 11:50:19 AM »
How was that being sensitive chapman?  Do i have to put f'ing winky faces on every post or risk being accused of being angry? 

That was called a comeback based on a logical inference over your own statement.  Responding with "Try joke.  Sensitive much?", isn't one.  It's just a shield to hide behind when you can't handle someone responding to you. 

Here just so you know that i'm not mad:  ;)  :D  :)  ;D  8-)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:57:14 AM by RawdogDX »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2010, 12:03:56 PM »
How was that being sensitive chapman?  Do i have to put f'ing winky faces on every post or risk being accused of being angry? 

That was called a comeback based on a logical inference over your own statement.  Responding with "Try joke.  Sensitive much?", isn't one.  It's just a shield to hide behind when you can't handle someone responding to you. 

Here just so you know that i'm not mad:  ;)  :D  :)  ;D  8-)

Look at that! An insecure frat guy! How unusual!

muballer10

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »
As an old fart in defense of current students, it was easier to get that "packed house" excitement at the MECCA than it is in the BC.  I like the BC, but size does matter - this time in a negative way!  :D

(Former Frat Boy Recording Secretary)

Thank you! It is about time someone throws out the elephant in the room! How many students could cram into the student sections in the old gym? We have 8,000 undergraduates here are MU. I dont know how many student tickets they sell, but I would guess AT LEAST 7,000. You cannot expect 7 out of every 8 students to come to every single game. This "lame" student section routinely fills an NBA arena...a feat the Bucks don't even do.

feedback