Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: this is the worst crowd i've seen in years  (Read 24303 times)

chapman

• All American
Re: this is the worst crowd i've seen in years
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »
GOLD OUT Thursday per the radio postgame.  Alumni: bring a change of clothes to work.  Students: make sure those snobby girls that will just have to wear blue to stand out and get attention get sprayed with a ton of gold silly string.

club cheezes VIP lounge

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
you guys crack me up...bitchin' about the crowd while sitting home watching on tv.

get a clue.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:46:42 PM by club cheezes VIP lounge »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
you guys crack me up...bitchin' about the crowd while sitting home watching on tv.

get a clue.

I wish I could fly in for every game from Boston.  I heard louder MU fans at the UCONN and PC games.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 10:49:19 PM »
Especially considering they are introduced as "the number one student section in the country."  And I'm not really ripping the students, just the comment.  I've always found it a bit embarrasing because it's so far from the truth.

It's absolutely hilarious when they do that bit in the intros during Winter Break and there's GD no one in the student section.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

club cheezes VIP lounge

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »
I wish I could fly in for every game from Boston.  I heard louder MU fans at the UCONN and PC games.

turn up your tv, bosox nation.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 11:13:26 PM »
I think people just have to get it through their heads that an unranked South Florida team just doesn't get many people fired up, even if it was a crucial game for MU's NCAA chances.  I would bet that for Pitt, the crowd may not be as big (being a Thursday night) but will be much, much louder.

And the fact of the matter is that there just isn't the buzz on campus about the team this year,  Maybe it's that the "big 3" all graduated and they were the face of MU basketball for four years.  I'm sure the slow start didn't help matters any, either.

Pathetic excuses.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 11:29:02 PM »
I was at the game and I kinda have to agree with the iffy-ness of the student section.  I thought the worst moment was when with about 3 minutes left we had a big steal or turnover or foul or something which led to the clock stopping.  the intercom played about 2 measures of jump around and then stopped because it wasnt a timeout and the student section BOOED. 

Clearly, theres a bunch of students out there who care more about making fouls of themselves than about the game

muole

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 11:34:11 PM »
it cracks me up that badger fans consider playing JUMP AROUND their tradition.  that song is played in every arena in the country, and at just about everyone of those arenas people stand up and "jump around" when the song is played.

what's next, are they going to claim Queen's We Will Rock You as their own as well?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 11:34:58 PM »
12:00 minutes left in the second half. HUGE TO call by USF. Lots of energy going into the TO, but the students couldn't keep the energy into the game. They seriously suck.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »
Huh? I didn't think it was bad at all.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 11:44:08 PM »
The grass is always greener the year before. I am a sophomore and the student section wasn't any better last year. It's been equally "sucky."

As picky as this makes you guys seem, I will take discussions like this any day because it usually means we won.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 12:11:23 AM »
I was at the game and the student section was fine.  The rest of the crowd had only spotty enthusiasm.  I was 422 Row R and a few groups around me were high-fiving and standing at times.  The lack of enthusiasm from the non-student sections when it came to the fight song was the most disturbing to me.  We have a great fight song (thank you band) and I'd love to figure a way to get EVERYONE into it.

Also, I was a Sig Ep in the late 70s and we were hard-core when it came to MU BBall.  NOTHING got in the way of going to a game and being loud and crazy.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 12:17:25 AM »
And while it's not an excuse for the crowd, it was not a very exciting game to watch.  How many times do I have to watch USF clang a three and then get the offensive rebound - kind of frustrating.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 12:17:44 AM »
In no way is the the worst crowd in years.  

It amazes me how season ticket holders always call out the students while they sit on their a$$ the whole game.  I'm guessing on Thursday not even 50% of season ticket holder participate in the gold out.  

If your going to crap on the students you better crap on the rest of the crowd as well.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »
Mark my words, it will be a fired-up house on Thursday night.  You've got a ranked opponent in Pitt, who has been in some great battles with MU, and it's the last chance for MU to get a "good" win.  As long as the game isn't a slog, I can't imagine a dead crowd.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2010, 12:23:38 AM »
Ok, the student section is not what it has been in years past, but neither is the rest of the stadium. I remember last year Cuse game, the whole stadium was on its feet for the second half, this game, nothing from the season ticket holders. Even jump around guy wasn't at this game. This has been pathetic for everyone, stop pointing out just the students, i'm sure the one's who frequent this board are not the one's leaving early and doing nothing. The students who frequent the message boards are the lone ones who are yelling and loud and intense, so this is probably the wrong forum to put them down. A win is a win, and this was a great win. So why can't you be happy for the team?
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

MarquetteNation

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2010, 01:00:32 AM »
apparently winning isn't enough for some people.  there is a reason there is an AP poll for the top 25 teams and not for the top 25 student sections.  enjoy the game...enjoy the win and move on.  stop trying to relive college days by saying how great the student section should/use to be. when there is something to really cheer about, the campus will be in full support.  is it that bad that we expect to beat south florida at home?

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2010, 01:01:20 AM »
Ok, the student section is not what it has been in years past, but neither is the rest of the stadium. I remember last year Cuse game, the whole stadium was on its feet for the second half, this game, nothing from the season ticket holders. Even jump around guy wasn't at this game. This has been pathetic for everyone, stop pointing out just the students, i'm sure the one's who frequent this board are not the one's leaving early and doing nothing. The students who frequent the message boards are the lone ones who are yelling and loud and intense, so this is probably the wrong forum to put them down. A win is a win, and this was a great win. So why can't you be happy for the team?

+1

Everyone gripes when the students aren't drunk...but (gasp), drunk kids have a hard time staying focused on a stop & go game with well called timeouts by USF! Weird!

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2010, 01:17:01 AM »
Can we get a board next to the superbar for pointless threads like this?  How many times do we need to have some nostalgic alumnus with and air of superiority bash the way things are today and start a battle between current and former students?  

To be fair, I don't want to hear the arguments from either side. I don't care about the mecca being smaller or the current students' general lack of enthusiasm, etc.  I don't buy into individuals' subjective commentaries.  I care about the game.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:21:15 AM by thisists »

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2010, 01:38:49 AM »
Game started... Upper bowl of student section was empty.  I'll upload the pic tomorrow.  Even students on campus said the crowd sucked
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2010, 01:43:08 AM »
good to know.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2010, 01:47:24 AM »
This is soo dumb. I am a student. I got drunk. I went to the game. I sat two rows from the top of the stadium. I yelled whenever I was conscious enough to. I'm sorry this isn't 1987 and we aren't playing Grand Valley State so all you old f****** can get your court side seats, and think that the crowd is so rowdy cuz your 20 feet from the game. I've gone to MU for four years now, with an 8000 student sections, I think the stats will hold out that every class is nearly identical to any other. Law of averages
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2010, 04:39:49 AM »
seriously guys?.... we beat a good South Florida team by 11 tonight and you complain about the crowd being bad? frist of all it wasn't bad and second of all it was a near sell out.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2010, 06:24:48 AM »
Maybe we should bring back Crean for a cameo crowd hardon for the cameras. Either that, or it's all the band's fault.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2010, 07:02:09 AM »
Mark my words, it will be a fired-up house on Thursday night.  You've got a ranked opponent in Pitt, who has been in some great battles with MU, and it's the last chance for MU to get a "good" win.  As long as the game isn't a slog, I can't imagine a dead crowd.

Something positive?   What were you smoking/drinking right before this post?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback