[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Catching up on D.J. Newbill  (Read 15849 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Catching up on D.J. Newbill
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
Catching up on D.J. Newbill

When I spoke to D.J. Newbill following his commitment on Jan. 30, the Marquette Golden Eagles were just hours removed from posting a thrilling 70-68 victory at then-No. 19 Connecticut.

I asked him if he'd watched the game and he said he had. He then added that the finish of that one, with Jimmy Butler's jumper falling through the net with 2.4 seconds remaining, somewhat mirrored the finish of a game he'd played just the night before for his Strawberry Mansion High School team.

"They won by two, and my team won by two. I hit the last shot to win the game," he said. "It was crazy. There were six seconds left and I ran down and I dunked the ball to win the game."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/83911602.html

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Catching up on D.J. Newbill
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »
Time will tell, but certainly sounds like a pretty intriguing prospect. His coach comes off like a pretty cool guy too in the interview. If his comments are accurate, DJ does sound like a good fit for MU. Looking forward to seeing him and the rest of that class.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »
 Says he is closer to 6'-5", he may end up being 6'-6" and a good physical player for us. I really think people are underestimating this kid, he has a great attitude and his work ethic seems superb
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 01:46:14 PM »
Honestly, how many game-winners has this kid hit? It seems like every article has him hitting another one.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 01:48:13 PM »
Says he is closer to 6'-5", he may end up being 6'-6" and a good physical player for us. I really think people are underestimating this kid, he has a great attitude and his work ethic seems superb

....sounds like we have our man to take over the middle when Jimmy graduates...

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
I'm sold.  I was questioning if this signing made sense, but Newbill sounds very promising.  With Otule definitely red-shirting now, our need for another big-man project is diminished, so taking someone like Newbill could turn out great.  Welcome aboard DJ, can't wait to see you at MU next year!

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 01:52:14 PM »
 Average 7 spg, we need some additional defense as well.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 02:05:29 PM »
Here, all this time I thought there were two guard positions on a team, not three.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 02:18:56 PM »
At times you might see five dribble, drive guys on the court.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 02:21:41 PM »
...best unsigned guard on the East coast..... 6'4, closer to 6'5, still growing.....can play any position on the floor for his high school team..   already a physical specimen....   took SAT in December, passed it... scared some schools away...  competed well with Blue    

No one outworks Buzz.    This is this year's DJO, the one Buzz stole.    Might not play 30 mpg next year, but he could be very good.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 02:23:59 PM »
Here, all this time I thought there were two guard positions on a team, not three.

C'mon now... haven't you learned anything watching MU this year?  It's obvious that the five positions in basketball are now: point guard, shooting guard, slasher guard, potpourri guard, Lazar.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

scowwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »
C'mon now... haven't you learned anything watching MU this year?  It's obvious that the five positions in basketball are now: point guard, shooting guard, slasher guard, potpourri guard, Lazar.

close, but a reliable source has told me that there should be only one position:  maymon

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 02:34:16 PM »
This backcourt is gonna be ridiculously deep.  I love the great talent that will be battling for PT.  There's going to be quite a few combinations of rotations.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »
"he's also the best player in Philadelphia."  I hope so...!  Great get Buzz and staff!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 02:44:39 PM »
I hope he pans out.  What I like about him is that (1) sounds he has the versatility to get minutes in a variety of personnel groupings without sacrificing defense, (2) nice for Buzz to get a kid from Philly and broaden his footprint on the east coast, and (3) we can always use another DJ.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »
He sounds like the kind of versatile guard/player Buzz covets.  MU will be EXTREMELY dangerous in the 2011-2012 season when DJO is a senior, Jae Crowder will be a senior....Williams, Otule and Cadougan will be juniors, and Vander Blue, Newbill, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith will be sophomores.  MU will be a solid 2-deep at every position, and will likely press full court and play an unbelievable intense brand of basketball...that will become known as BUZZ-BALL!!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 03:05:22 PM »
Perhaps this signing also contributed toward the coaching staff being more comfortable with Cadougan playing this year.  That said, it sounds from all reports that the decision to burn the redshirt this year, was entirely Junior's.

If all of these kids live up to their billing, and follow in the footsteps of the hard-working philosophy of Mu basketball, develop the toughness Buzz preaches, and show improvement similar to Jimmy Butler - this very well will be the deepest and most talented MU team I've ever seen assembled in my lifetime..been a hardcore fan since 1983.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 03:05:56 PM »
He sounds like the kind of versatile guard/player Buzz covets.  MU will be EXTREMELY dangerous in the 2011-2012 season when DJO is a senior, Jae Crowder will be a senior....Williams, Otule and Cadougan will be juniors, and Vander Blue, Newbill, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith will be sophomores.  MU will be a solid 2-deep at every position, and will likely press full court and play an unbelievable intense brand of basketball...that will become known as BUZZ-BALL!!

Assuming we don't have two transfers, three injuries and an arrest...

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 03:07:36 PM »
I always take an assessment of a kid from his HS or AAU coach with a huge grain of salt.  

That being said, he is averaging 27ppg and 7spg for his HS team.  He has to be doing something right.  Also, he seems to have the type of character that Buzz wants on his teams.  

I really hope we have found a 'sleeper' here.  It sounds like, at least, he has huge upside.  Also, we will have another 'DJ' for 4 more years!

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 03:36:58 PM »
Nothing like the ultimate unbiased source like a kid's coach to upgrade expectations...

And how can anybody talk about what a great team it will be in a few years when none of those guys have stepped on the court yet.  E. Williams was highly regarded and is near helpless at this level so far.

These guys will be lucky to match up with Key, Logterman and McIlvaine or Wade, Diener and Novak as far as a talented team goes.  I don't even mention James, Mcneal and Matthews, since they accomplished nothing.   The others at least made some noise in the NCAA's, which is the only thing that matters in the end.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »
Nothing like the ultimate unbiased source like a kid's coach to upgrade expectations...

And how can anybody talk about what a great team it will be in a few years when none of those guys have stepped on the court yet.  E. Williams was highly regarded and is near helpless at this level so far.

These guys will be lucky to match up with Key, Logterman and McIlvaine or Wade, Diener and Novak as far as a talented team goes.  I don't even mention James, Mcneal and Matthews, since they accomplished nothing.   The others at least made some noise in the NCAA's, which is the only thing that matters in the end.

To say James, Mcneal and Matthews accomplished nothing is ridiculous.  Can't wait to see D.J. prove you wrong- and no, I'm not saying immediate impact.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »

I don't even mention James, Mcneal and Matthews, since they accomplished nothing.   The others at least made some noise in the NCAA's, which is the only thing that matters in the end.

Wow---I'm sure DJ, Jerel and Wes would be pleased to hear that they busted their asses for four years, represented the University with class and won a heck of a lot of games.....but didn't accomplish anything.

If noise in the NCAA's is "the only thing that matters in the end", that's pretty sad. I love it when the program is successful and the Final Four run was truly one of the most exciting times in my life, but I'd much rather have a solid program with kids that graduate and represent themselves and the school well than have a program that embarrased me as an alum despite making noise in the NCAA's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »
gumbyandpokey back trolling, trying to find the dark cloud behind every silver lining, hating it simply because MU does it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 03:54:59 PM »

Dude, you're still probably wondering why they let the Quarterback throw a forward pass.   ;)

Just kidding 4ever, just kidding.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »
That's why we don't get any big men recruits
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.