[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Stupid Crap on the Al Board  (Read 13968 times)

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
Stupid Crap on the Al Board
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:04:31 AM »
Any way you guys could come down a little heavier on blatant, unnecessary, and annoying personal attacks? I'm sick of opening EVERY THREAD and seeing the same dudes spouting off on each other about the same crap. I would love to see some of these dudes get temporary bans or something? Maybe that would shut them up? It reduces the legitimacy of discussion on the board and ends up just stifling interesting threads because of the immature bickering. I know we'll never stop these dudes from being childish and petty, but maybe some stricter penalties would at least keep it off the board a bit more? It's been out of hand these last couple days.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Stupid Crap on the Al Board
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:07:14 AM »
I believe they already issue temporary bans.

Maybe make the bans a little more public, so that people see the penalties are real..

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 10:11:07 AM »
Yeah I know they already issue them, but I guess maybe I haven't noticed it being done as much lately? Maybe making it a bit more public and doing it more consistently? Maybe I'm totally clueless and am ignorant of how often this is done? But their are certainly some posters who I can't believe aren't banned more often from this place (I won't name names, but I think everyone probably can think of a few).

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »
I believe they already issue temporary bans.

I never knew that but it would be nice for others to know as well. Rather than combatting a differing opinion more and more people are resorting to ....oh your an idiot.

Note:  People are entitled to their opinions, if you don't like their opinion thats fine but lets not stoop down to personal attacks on fellow alums.

WE ARE MARQUETTE, AND A FEW IDIOTS
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:27:50 AM by damuts222 »
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:17:54 AM »
 I never knew that but it would be nice for others to know as well. Rather than combatting a differing opinion more and more people are resorting to ....oh your an idiot.

Note:  People are entitled to their opinions, if you don't like their opinion thats fine but lets not stoop down to personal attacks on fellow alums.

WE ARE MARQUETTE, AND A FEW IDIOTS

Completely agree. Strange to me that a bunch of MU basketball fans more often than not opt to rip each other rather than banter about the CURRENT state of MU hoops, which is I think why most gravitate here in the first place. Certainly does take some of the fun out of it. Not to say people can't disagree, but the personal agendas and vendettas seem to have taken over, which is regrettable.

smrunner99

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »
Wait the purpose of the board is MU basketball

I agree with making it a public ban, there are some threads I really enjoy getting into but then after about 5 or so posts it because worthless.  Also a little shocking to see how quick some people jump down other's thoats.  Makes me wonder how a pregame event with a lot of Scoop members would progress?!

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »
Wait the purpose of the board is MU basketball

I agree with making it a public ban, there are some threads I really enjoy getting into but then after about 5 or so posts it because worthless.  Also a little shocking to see how quick some people jump down other's thoats.  Makes me wonder how a pregame event with a lot of Scoop members would progress?!

With the anonymity of posting gone, I think posters would be pretty civil in person and have a good laugh together at some of the things they have posted.

smrunner99

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »
Civil I can see, but would it be like a junior high dance with one half on one side of the room and the other half on the other side.  And me hiding in a dark corner near the wall.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 10:39:09 AM »
Come on, half the fun is ripping someone. ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 10:57:32 AM »
A few items .. Truly, moderation is rare.  It's a 1% thing.  Less.  We don't like doing it.  We'd rather everyone just behave.

And yes, the bans are from 1 day to forever.   The 1 day vacation is to get someone's attention.

While we'd love to have a personal attack free board, it's really hard to do so. 

As they say in the NFL .. it's always the second guy fighting who gets the flag because the ref didn't see the first guy. -- On Scoop, we do see the first guy.  So does the 2nd guy get a flag because he responded?   Maybe.  -- But as soon as you smack someone across the snout, they cry foul because you're not treating the 2nd attack the same.

As for asking for more moderation .. again, hard to do.  The Otule thread is a good example.  It's about 70% decent conversation.  Throw the baby out with the bathwater?   Hate to do that.  Meanwhile, it's a PITA to figure out which 30% to edit out.  Baby out, it is.   In a perfect world, we would have seen the first message, and remove that before the hijack.

---

In the end .. damnit guys, you know who I'm talking to.  Feel free to debate each other's points with honest debate. 

Once you go astray with name calling, personal attacks, unearthing unspoken agendas that you think are true .. it shows how you can't debate the topic because you can't come up with facts or arguments that would sway opinion.  Totally childish.  Grow up.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 11:57:35 PM »
A few items .. Truly, moderation is rare.  It's a 1% thing.  Less.  We don't like doing it.  We'd rather everyone just behave.

And yes, the bans are from 1 day to forever.   The 1 day vacation is to get someone's attention.

While we'd love to have a personal attack free board, it's really hard to do so. 

As they say in the NFL .. it's always the second guy fighting who gets the flag because the ref didn't see the first guy. -- On Scoop, we do see the first guy.  So does the 2nd guy get a flag because he responded?   Maybe.  -- But as soon as you smack someone across the snout, they cry foul because you're not treating the 2nd attack the same.

As for asking for more moderation .. again, hard to do.  The Otule thread is a good example.  It's about 70% decent conversation.  Throw the baby out with the bathwater?   Hate to do that.  Meanwhile, it's a PITA to figure out which 30% to edit out.  Baby out, it is.   In a perfect world, we would have seen the first message, and remove that before the hijack.

---

In the end .. damnit guys, you know who I'm talking to.  Feel free to debate each other's points with honest debate. 

Once you go astray with name calling, personal attacks, unearthing unspoken agendas that you think are true .. it shows how you can't debate the topic because you can't come up with facts or arguments that would sway opinion.  Totally childish.  Grow up.
Ok, since you are in the business of antagonizing.  Ill bite.  Do you know what the word frustration means?  Are you familiar with it?  I believe it is still in the english dictionary.  Look it up.  I went after Chicos, something I ve never done before on this web site, because 50% of his posts involve defending Tom Crean.  It gets annoying, it gets FRUSTRATING.  I can debate you, great moderator, or anyone else on any subject without using profanities.  In fact, if you read my whole post, you will see I did debate and defend my position that Buzz is a good guy, and I think he can be trusted.  Here is a little tip for you, get off your high horse.  If you have never called someone a name or lost your temper than by all means, continue to be pompus, but if you have, shut your mouth.  BTW, "damnit" is profanity.....why don't you do everyone a favor and ban yourself for the day.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:07:03 AM »
Ok, since you are in the business of antagonizing.  Ill bite.  Do you know what the word frustration means?  Are you familiar with it?  I believe it is still in the english dictionary.  Look it up.  I went after Chicos, something I ve never done before on this web site, because 50% of his posts involve defending Tom Crean.  It gets annoying, it gets FRUSTRATING.  I can debate you, great moderator, or anyone else on any subject without using profanities.  In fact, if you read my whole post, you will see I did debate and defend my position that Buzz is a good guy, and I think he can be trusted.  Here is a little tip for you, get off your high horse.  If you have never called someone a name or lost your temper than by all means, continue to be pompus, but if you have, shut your mouth.  BTW, "damnit" is profanity.....why don't you do everyone a favor and ban yourself for the day.

When you get frustrated, try to use your education to go after the argument and not the poster. You have proven that you are not capable of this on multiple occasions.  The rest of your diatribe is pointless to address.  You guys want a public ban, this is a public ban.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:38:04 AM »
Ok, no more, what you guys, call personal attacks.  No problem, I can do that.  Lock this thread then, because this is personally calling me out.  Deal?  I will go back to just reading like I have for the past 4 years, no more posting, unless of coarse I get persuaded with threads like this.  Is that an eduated agument for you guys?  Like I said before, I love reading this site daily, and I do not want to get banned.  If you will notice I apologized to chicos and everyone that has responded is happy I did so.  Have a nice day. 

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 08:35:23 AM »
 I agree and disagree with many points on the board. But Chicos, having gone to Indiana I believe for furthering his education is called out on anything Indiana which therefore warrants a response. Generally speaking he may mention the past regime but then someone else runs with it and turns it all a** backwards.

I think you should apologize to SoCAL now
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
We are not in the business of anta
Ok, since you are in the business of antagonizing.  Ill bite.  Do you know what the word frustration means?  Are you familiar with it?  I believe it is still in the english dictionary.  Look it up.  I went after Chicos, something I ve never done before on this web site, because 50% of his posts involve defending Tom Crean.  It gets annoying, it gets FRUSTRATING.  I can debate you, great moderator, or anyone else on any subject without using profanities.  In fact, if you read my whole post, you will see I did debate and defend my position that Buzz is a good guy, and I think he can be trusted.  Here is a little tip for you, get off your high horse.  If you have never called someone a name or lost your temper than by all means, continue to be pompus, but if you have, shut your mouth.  BTW, "damnit" is profanity.....why don't you do everyone a favor and ban yourself for the day.

We aim, what you call "antagonism," at people who misbehave and don't treat others with respect.    We try our best.

This thread wasn't about you specifically until you outed yourself.  We're not in favor of publicly announcing bans, as it's standard practice to praise in public, chasten in private, in hopes the Marquette educated individual will react with maturity.

The final point is that we try our best to keep the place civil.     If you can't do that, your offer to "just read" would be a good idea.   -- If that makes us "pompous" .. so be it.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
   -- If that makes us "pompous" .. so be it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 10:51:23 AM »
That's an old picture of me.  I got lasik and no longer wear glasses.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »
hey look......it's a tough gig being a volunteer moderator on a site full of passionate fans. Since MUScoop was formed I think u and the other guys are the only mods we've had -- and there've been no new volunteers.  Keeping everybody happy is not part of the job, but limiting Ad hominem attacks and gratuitous negativity towards the community are fundamental to the role.  The board is just not enjoyable when threads devolve into Urinary Olympics.    

Well done......even if you look like this    ;D

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:28:52 AM by NYWarrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 12:49:16 AM »

50%?  Sigh

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 11:38:46 AM »
Maybe to solve this we could have another forum for "Trainwrecks, Politics and Religion."

Whenever a thread devolves into one of those realms the mods could just /move the thread over.  People could continue to visit the thread if they pleased, but it would keep the main board clear.  This would make it easier for Mods to use their powers without worrying about abusing them.  No thread deletion, locking or splitting threads... just throwing them into the Cesspool forum to let them die a natural death.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 11:56:23 AM »
Unfortunately if we actually did that it would become the most popular forum on the site and we don't want that.  When we allowed that crap on the Superbar, it became really bitter and divisive and of course followed the posters onto the main board.  There's just no way to isolate it.  The most effective policy is to exclude it completely.  For the few posters who continually try to inject their political views into basketball posts, we will continue to remove them. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 11:59:46 AM »
Unfortunately if we actually did that it would become the most popular forum on the site and we don't want that.  When we allowed that crap on the Superbar, it became really bitter and divisive and of course followed the posters onto the main board.  There's just no way to isolate it.  The most effective policy is to exclude it completely.  For the few posters who continually try to inject their political views into basketball posts, we will continue to remove them. 

Hear!  Hear!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.