Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Lakers Going After Hurley by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:19:28 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by SaveOD238
[Today at 05:52:02 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by GoFastAndWin
[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: End of season record....  (Read 1805 times)

Harrison

• Team Captain
End of season record....
« on: February 13, 2007, 01:45:28 PM »
The topic below made some good points.  But a couple of things have been over looked.
1.  Crean has discussed on a number of occassions scaling back practice.  Arguably a issue early on but not recently.
2.   Schedules are stacked...even in C-USA the best teams played each other down the stretch.  Even moreso with TV in the BE.  We play Pitt on the last game of the season because the powers that be in NY saw it as a protential BE regular season title game.  Same reason Pitt plays Georgetown at the end.  Therefore, the schedule gets harder.
3.  The most important factor of all... you are almost guaranteed 2 losses!!  Unless you hang banners.  Now MU went undefeated in January, but we did not play in two single elimination tourneys during that time either.  So those two loses that you will pick up unless you are the champ will always bring down the averages.

Items #2 and #3 are products of success.  Our program could really suck and then we would not have to lament the difficult schedules of Feb. and March. ND and rutgers finishing schedules are relatively easy.  Nor would we have to worry about picking up a loss at those two end of the season tourneys.  We could be like Depaul or South Florida, they were both undefeated at the BE and NCAA tourneys last year.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 01:47:44 PM by Harrison »

WashDCWarrior

• All American
Re: End of season record....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 01:50:42 PM »
Very well explained.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »
The only good news in the remainer of the schedule -- very little travel -- Chicago and South Bend.  The Chicago game may have more of a feel of a home game because of the strong Marquette fan turnout   Another factor in the Chicago game will be McNeal playing in his home town.

FYI, I'd rather have Georgetown behind us in the regular season than in front of us.  The way the Hoyas are playing they could take the national title.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 04:09:07 PM »
All of this is interesting, but I'll feel a lot better about things if we win our games this week.  I think we need to win 5 more games counting the BE tournament to get a top 4 seed in the NCAAs. 

4-1 regular season and 1-1 Big East tournament would leave us at 25-7 in D-1 games.  If we do worse than that, say 3-2 and 1-1, that will leave us at 24-8 in D-1 games and I don't think that gets us a top 4 seed.  Especially when you consider that last year we were 10-6 in a much stronger Big East and only got a 7 seed.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 08:01:28 PM »
I dont disagree with you assessment.  However, I persoanlly think the reason we were a 7 seed was because we entered the NCAA's with double digit losses.  that is a lot!  Not winning a BE tourney game hurt too.  We would have to go 1-5 to meet last years record pre-NCAA. We are in much better shape to receive a higher seed this year, but still gotta get it done

feedback