Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Purdue-IU  (Read 7561 times)

tower912

• All American
Purdue-IU
« on: February 05, 2010, 08:08:14 AM »
Watching the game last night, I was struck by the difference in philosophies between Crean and Buzz.    IU got the deflections, but they weren't valuing posessions or getting to the paint.  For some reason, it really stood out to me watching the game.      Also, I kept thinking how JaJuan Johnson would have looked in an MU uni.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
Re: Purdue-IU
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 08:41:09 AM »
Indiana played hard last night because this was their Wisconsin game.  that being said, even though the refs let the teams play and Purdue looked sloppy on offense, Indiana lost.  It appears that they may not win another game.  Rumors have already started that Bob Knight is a whisper candidate with his son as heir apparent.  That would be a good thing. 
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 08:43:42 AM »
IU is young, so I am willing to cut them some slack, but their passing and decision making was poor.    Also, I was struck by how slow they looked.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:46:33 AM »
Rumors have already started that Bob Knight is a whisper candidate with his son as heir apparent. 

Good Lord. While agree that if a year from now Indiana has not improved drastically, that the natives will get quite restless, but the chances of me and Bob Knight becoming the next coach at IU are exactly the same.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:47:47 AM »
I have to say, I was hoping for a blowout but Indiana played hard. And despite his bloodlines, Rivers is not very good.

Also, interesting that there was a "Doc" Rivers "big head" in the crowd. This after sightings of a DWade "big head" at Assembly Hall. If I were an Indiana fan, I'd be scratching my head over the MU alums. How about Kent Benson and Isaiah? Or Joe Hillman? Why the Marquette guys? Peculiar. I will bet money there will be a Jim or John Harbaugh in there before the end of Crean's tenure...but it's the students who vote on these things.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 09:00:50 AM »
Good Lord. While agree that if a year from now Indiana has not improved drastically, that the natives will get quite restless, but the chances of me and Bob Knight becoming the next coach at IU are exactly the same.

As much as I would love to see Navin dancing to the beat at Assembly Hall, there is no chance in this world that Bobby Knight ever returns to IU.  That ship sailed many years ago and was torpedoed while still in sight.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:28:14 AM »
Also, interesting that there was a "Doc" Rivers "big head" in the crowd. This after sightings of a DWade "big head" at Assembly Hall. If I were an Indiana fan, I'd be scratching my head over the MU alums. How about Kent Benson and Isaiah? Or Joe Hillman? Why the Marquette guys? Peculiar. I will bet money there will be a Jim or John Harbaugh in there before the end of Crean's tenure...but it's the students who vote on these things.

I understand Doc Rivers as he is the father of a current player.  What pisses me off is when Crean has guys like Butch Lee involved in IU's program.

I don't know why Crean said, "It's Indiana" because he is turning it into Marquette. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »
Maybe the former IU greats don't think I4 is the cat's ass.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 10:04:19 AM »
Indiana played hard last night because this was their Wisconsin game.  that being said, even though the refs let the teams play and Purdue looked sloppy on offense, Indiana lost.  It appears that they may not win another game.  Rumors have already started that Bob Knight is a whisper candidate with his son as heir apparent.  That would be a good thing. 

Crean is their guy. They love him. That was a good a crowd as I have seen in college hoops. The whole place was rocking. Hardly indicative of "restless natives". To lose to Purdue by a bucket is hardly an embarassment.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 10:22:23 AM »
Crean is their guy?  Nonsense.  Basketball is king in Indiana.  Crean has a dream job.  Being a jerk will not hurt as much there as it did at MU.  That being said, wait until the february swoon.  By this March next year Indiana basketball fans will be burning the tan one in effigy.  As for the final score, moral victories count at the Y league not in the Big Ten or the Big East, ask De Paul after the game against the Cuse.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 10:24:36 AM »

You shouldn't whisper to yourself, they can lock you up for things like that in a straight jacket.

And yes, I'm very happy to have Buzz, he's doing a great job so far.   

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 10:25:03 AM »
As much as I would love to see Navin dancing to the beat at Assembly Hall...

It's Indiana. It's Indiana...Which is why I would turn the job down. Perhaps I wasn't clear about that. The chances of me coaching IU are zero because if when they come calling, I will politely decline.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
Maybe the former IU greats don't think I4 is the cat's ass.

The former IU greats are very much involved as well as are former MU greats

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »
Crean is their guy?  Nonsense.  Basketball is king in Indiana.  Crean has a dream job.  Being a jerk will not hurt as much there as it did at MU.  That being said, wait until the february swoon.  By this March next year Indiana basketball fans will be burning the tan one in effigy.  As for the final score, moral victories count at the Y league not in the Big Ten or the Big East, ask De Paul after the game against the Cuse.

LOL.  Fred Glass doesn't agree with you, not even close.  But enjoy the fantasy world you're in.

MU in Miami

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 10:35:10 AM »
I don't know why Crean said, "It's Indiana" because he is turning it into Marquette. 

quote of the day....

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »
Butch Lee is involved at IU?  Please elaborate...
That is sad - for all involved, including Crean.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »

Not sure what you are reading, but he is there for the long haul. Did you watch the game last night??? Assembly Hall sure didn't look like it was filed with unhappy fans. That place was rocking!! Like it or not, Crean is going to be in Bloomington for awhile.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 11:01:49 AM »
Not sure what you are reading, but he is there for the long haul. Did you watch the game last night??? Assembly Hall sure didn't look like it was filed with unhappy fans. That place was rocking!! Like it or not, Crean is going to be in Bloomington for awhile.

One thing that the Crean-era did a great job with was game-management.  Not with regards to the team, but with regards to getting the right songs and the right filler with the right timing to keep the fans in the game the entire time they were in the stadium.  I think that MU could use a little bit of that right now because the stadium experience has suffered the past couple years.  Not bad, just not put together quite as well.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »
I watched the game last night.  They have great basketball fans at Indiana.  It has nothing to do with Tom Crean.  He is the Perry Clark of the Big Ten.  His players played hard against the instate rival. Shocking!  Crean can't coach will be the mantra by March of next year.  I see him yelling at the equipment managers and the video guys like he used to do at MU.  Most of those guys are still in therapy, right Chicos.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 12:33:20 PM »
I watched the game last night.  They have great basketball fans at Indiana.  It has nothing to do with Tom Crean.  He is the Perry Clark of the Big Ten.  His players played hard against the instate rival. Shocking!  Crean can't coach will be the mantra by March of next year.  I see him yelling at the equipment managers and the video guys like he used to do at MU.  Most of those guys are still in therapy, right Chicos.

Funny, I think most of those guys went to IU with him....some therapy.   ;)

They're better than they were last year despite not having their best player (a kid who threw down about 30 points on some club named Kentucky).  Last year they were smoked by Purdue, this year they lose by two.  Last year they lost to Illinois in 2 games by 44 points.  This year they lose at the buzzer by 2 points and in OT.  They have tripled their conference wins from last year.....again, all without their best player.

They'll be a NIT \ NCAA team next year.  They are in on a ton of Indiana state recruits right now, some of which we are in on as well.  He has a 10 year contract for a reason, he's not going anywhere any time soon.

Go Warriors!

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »
Not going anywhere soon, isn't that what he told Fr. Wild?  Come on Chipos get real.  A loss is a loss is a loss.  Indiana got stomped by Iowa at home.  Why?  Because they were poorly prepared and there is no rivalry with them.  Purdue had not won at Indiana in 10 years.  thanks Mr. Naismith now get the hell out of my Inadiana!

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »
We care about this game because why exactly?
Go Warriors.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
Not going anywhere soon, isn't that what he told Fr. Wild?  Come on Chipos get real.  A loss is a loss is a loss.  Indiana got stomped by Iowa at home.  Why?  Because they were poorly prepared and there is no rivalry with them.  Purdue had not won at Indiana in 10 years.  thanks Mr. Naismith now get the hell out of my Inadiana!

When I say he's not going anywhere soon, I mean the silly talk by some that he's going to be fired or run out is just that, silly. 

And I believe he stayed at MU for 9 years under Father Wild...longer than any coaching since Al McGuire who went 14.

Of course, he did get the kiss of death today with Dick Vitale going nuts for them.  LOL...and no, I don't follow Vitale or Twitter.  The guy in the office next to me is an IU grad and sent it to me.

http://twitter.com/DickieV

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »
Do you borrow your buddy's red swingline, or do you each have one in Indiana red?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »
Do you borrow your buddy's red swingline, or do you each have one in Indiana red?

I don't own anything IU except for my diploma and one sweatshirt as an officer for my Sports Marketing Class in 1995.  Doesn't fit, it's in box in the attic. 

Anything else?