Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] The Pursuit of the Perfect 6'5" And Under Team  (Read 8124 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

The Pursuit of the Perfect  6'5" And Under Team

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Tim Blair)

Over the weekend the news broke that Marquette secured another verbal commitment for the incoming freshman class of 2010.   Devonte "DJ" Newbill, a high-scoring 6'4" combo guard from Philadelphia, is the latest thoroughbred to join Buzz Williams' stable.....but he'll have to share a stall with five other guards next season.

Why is Buzz Williams shamelessly continuing the recruiting pattern of his predecessor?  The program's relentless pursuit of The Perfect 6'5" And Under Team is once again in full effect.

Adding Newbill to incoming and returning backcourt talents like Junior Cadougan, Dwight Buycks, Darius Johnson-Odom, Reggie Smith and Vander Blue is enough to make the general manager of any Gus Macker squad giddy with anticipation.  While these guards are collectively bigger and much more talented than recent Marquette backcourts, these are still guards and none of them can be counted on to score, defend, or rebound on the block.

Making matters more challenging is the logjam MU has at the combo forward spot where no player on next year's roster has the skills or physical attributes to be a physical baseline presence.  While  lithe and athletic, the crew of Jimmy Butler, Erik Williams, Joe Fulce and Jamail Jones will provide little resistance to the BIG EAST's cadre of physical forwards and centers.  Yet one of these players might be the Warriors' starting center next year.

As it stands now, headed into next season MU is betting the baseline on two centers who can politely be referred to as projects with significant injury risks, and no power forward at all.

How did Buzz Williams lead us to this point? Less than a year ago the transformation of Marquette's roster away from a guard-happy group of poorly balanced classes was promising.   Unfortunately injuries (Liam McMorrow), departures (Brett Roseboro, Jeronne Maymon), near-misses (Carson Desrosiers), and mistakes (Monterale Clark) sent Buzz Williams back to the well once more, a well that seems to spring forth only guards despite the program's perennially acute need for size and strength.

Does height matter?  As we've noted previously Ken Pomeroy completed an in-depth report on this topic and the results were clear.  Pomeroy's analysis indicated that taller teams were slightly more effective offensively and substantially improved defensively.  It's not just Pomeroy who is on this point.   Jay Wright, who's Villanova squad is rightly cited as the inspiration for guard-oriented rosters, has adapted his recruiting in recent classes.

While Buzz Williams has successfully adopted his schemes to fit the skills on his roster this season, MU's inability to defend and score on the blocks and rebound consistently will remain a major hurdle in leapfrogging into the top tier of the BIG EAST.  Mercifully Williams has one more scholarship to fill for next season and the pressure is on to land a quality big man who can contribute immediately.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2010/02/pursuit-of-perfect-65-and-under-team.html

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] The Pursuit of the Perfect 6'5" And Under Team
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 01:30:04 PM »
The Pursuit of the Perfect  6'5" And Under Team

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Tim Blair)

Over the weekend the news broke that Marquette secured another verbal commitment for the incoming freshman class of 2010.   Devonte "DJ" Newbill, a high-scoring 6'4" combo guard from Philadelphia, is the latest thoroughbred to join Buzz Williams' stable.....but he'll have to share a stall with five other guards next season.

Why is Buzz Williams shamelessly continuing the recruiting pattern of his predecessor?  The program's relentless pursuit of The Perfect 6'5" And Under Team is once again in full effect.

Adding Newbill to incoming and returning backcourt talents like Junior Cadougan, Dwight Buycks, Darius Johnson-Odom, Reggie Smith and Vander Blue is enough to make the general manager of any Gus Macker squad giddy with anticipation.  While these guards are collectively bigger and much more talented than recent Marquette backcourts, these are still guards and none of them can be counted on to score, defend, or rebound on the block.

Making matters more challenging is the logjam MU has at the combo forward spot where no player on next year's roster has the skills or physical attributes to be a consistent baseline presence.  While  lithe and athletic, the crew of Jimmy Butler, Erik Williams, Joe Fulce and Jamail Jones will provide little resistance to the BIG EAST's cadre of physical forwards and centers.  Yet one of these players might be the Warriors' starting center next year.

As it stands now, headed into next season MU is betting the baseline on two centers who can politely be referred to as projects with significant injury risks.  And no power forward on the roster, not one.

How did Buzz Williams lead us to this point? Less than a year ago the transformation of Marquette's roster away from a guard-happy group of poorly balanced classes was promising.   Unfortunately injuries (Liam McMorrow), departures (Brett Roseboro, Jeronne Maymon), near-misses (Carson Desrosiers), and mistakes (Monterale Clark) sent Buzz Williams back to the well once more, a well that seems to spring forth only guards despite the program's perennially acute need for size and strength.

Does height matter?  As we've noted previously Ken Pomeroy completed an in-depth report on this topic and the results were clear.  Pomeroy's analysis indicated that taller teams were slightly more effective offensively and substantially improved defensively.  It's not just Pomeroy who is on this point.   Jay Wright, who's Villanova squad is rightly cited as the inspiration for guard-oriented rosters, has adapted his recruiting in recent classes.

While Buzz Williams has successfully adopted his schemes to fit the skills on his roster this season, MU's inability to defend and score on the blocks and rebound consistently will remain a major hurdle in leapfrogging into the top tier of the BIG EAST.  Mercifully Williams has one more scholarship to fill for next season and the pressure is on to land a quality big man who can contribute immediately.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2010/02/pursuit-of-perfect-65-and-under-team.html

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] The Pursuit of the Perfect 6'5\
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
If we recruit a JC big who can contribute next year, we shouldn't have any size issues.  I know everyone wants a big (I think it will happen) but come on.

JC: 6'1
DJO: 6'2
VB:6'3 (maybe taller... kids grow)
JB: 6'6
CO/YM/JUCO: 6'8+

I don't see a size issue.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 01:39:33 PM »
buzz has said several times that we need to be perfect to win.  I think he knows that we can't be perfect every game and that we need to get taller. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 01:43:59 PM »
If we recruit a JC big who can contribute next year, we shouldn't have any size issues.  I know everyone wants a big (I think it will happen) but come on.

But as been pointed out here before, it's not how big they actually are, but how big they play.  I don't care how much Blue grows, he is going to be a guard.  I don't care if Butler is 6'6"...he plays like a combo forward.  

Relying on Otule or Mbao is a risk at this point, but we may not have much choice by the time next year rolls around.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 01:45:03 PM »

Until MU has a kid on campus who is good enough and healthy enough to contribute MU has a size issue.  The problem can be solved, no doubt...but the next tender is more significant than most.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:48:58 PM »
I predict an uproar if/when we land the undersized Crowder.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 01:52:38 PM »
I predict an uproar if/when we land the undersized Crowder.

Seconded. 

In fact it might be best if the board gets shut down for a few days should that happen.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »
I'll be ecstatic and still will anticipate Buzz signing a Power Forward in '10.   Call me cynical he'll make it happen like Liam's "mysterious circumstances". 

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »
I think we've seen that the offense can work with a smaller lineup - especially when anyone on the floor can respectably shoot the 3.  Defense and rebounding are the larger concerns.

I think we're generally going to be aiming at 3 guards and 1 forward+1 center or 2 forwards on the court at any time next year.  Fulce turns out to be a very good rebounder, so if he can do a better job of playing defense without fouling, he'll be an important part of the team.  If Otule can stay healthy, I'd expect he'll see significant minutes too.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 02:00:21 PM »
buzz has said several times that we need to be perfect to win.  I think he knows that we can't be perfect every game and that we need to get taller. 

We will be taller.  We are undersized at every position this year.  Next year, we will have solid size for guards and wings.  As far as bigs go, we have Otule and Mbao and MAYBE another big.  

Maybe next year we will play three guards and JB and EW thus making our tallest player on the floor 6'7 but I would be surprised (barring injury) if CO can not give some meaningful minutes next season.  And I stress "meaningful" meaning not a stud but that he doesn't look lost out there.  At this stage, its obvious that we will be a guard oriented team for at least two more years but I don't see an issue as long as we have some guys with size that can contribute.  
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 02:05:38 PM »
At this stage, its obvious that we will be a guard oriented team for at least two more years but I don't see an issue as long as we have some guys with size that can contribute.  

And right now, as constructed, MU will not have that.  One scholly left -- nail it, Buzz.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 02:16:13 PM »
Nothing like a good CS post to put a damper on things. This was much needed, as there have been too many of those annoying, optimistic fans on here this week. A little cynicism is JUST what the doctor ordered.

I love CS, but honestly, I thought I was pessimistic!

All that aside, it doesn't change the fact that they're right.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 02:19:16 PM »
This is a verbal with us still months away from the late signing period.  Is it possible that the staff has told Newbill that "our priority is at PF but if we can't sign 2 PFs we will take a guard and a PF and that guard will be the kid who verbals first"?  When Newbill verbals all he is really doing is holding a place in line.  This would atleast make some sense.
I mean Buzz has to know that he must have post players.  During the fall the one remaining ride was going to go to Tarik Black.  The only reason this second ride is even available is due to Maymon's transfer.  That is 2 post players that need to be replaced with 2 post players.  

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 02:31:14 PM »
We will be taller.  We are undersized at every position this year.  Next year, we will have solid size for guards and wings.  As far as bigs go, we have Otule and Mbao and MAYBE another big.  

Maybe next year we will play three guards and JB and EW thus making our tallest player on the floor 6'7 but I would be surprised (barring injury) if CO can not give some meaningful minutes next season.  And I stress "meaningful" meaning not a stud but that he doesn't look lost out there.  At this stage, its obvious that we will be a guard oriented team for at least two more years but I don't see an issue as long as we have some guys with size that can contribute.  
"Otule, Mbao and maybe another big" does not give one a lot of confidence. two of two are projects who are injury prone.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
And right now, as constructed, MU will not have that.  One scholly left -- nail it, Buzz.

Perhaps, perhaps not.
Otule looked to have made some progress prior to his injury and Mbao looks raw like sushi, but he'll have a full year under his belt heading into next season. It probably would be wishful thinking to expect much from either, but certainly there's precedent for developing bigs to look lost one year and productive the next.

Aaron Gray went from a kid who averaged about 8.5 mpg his first two seasons to a third-term all American and NBA player.
Chris Kaman went from a guy who averaged under 10 and 5 in the MAC to an NBA lottery pick.

Heck, our very own Amal McCasskill went from looking completely bewildered his first year (plus a redhsirt year) to a very solid player his last two seasons.

It would be unfair at this point to suggest Otule and/or Mbao are on a similar trajectory, and I'm not doing that. But it's equally unfair to suggest right now that neither can contribute next season. If they can combine for 30 minutes, 6 to 10 points and 8 to 10 boards a game next season while playing some decent interior defense MU will be fine.

That said, Buzz still has a scholie to give, and I think it's safe to say he has an inkling that a post player is needed.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:45:46 PM by Pakuni »

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 02:44:14 PM »
what loser wrote that article.  That was simple terrible writing.  Mu is not that small next year.  Why do complainers feel we "must" sign two bigs with the two remaining scholies.  I have no problem with the signing of a guard with size.  i am pretty confident our next signee will be 6'8" or taller.  But thanks for a condescending article to tell Buzz something he apparently does not know. 

FWIW,  i think our biggest issue this year has not been our size up front but our size in the backcourt and that gets remedied next year.   So until we sign the next guy STF up Crack Smoker.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
I'd like to share others' enthusiasm that Buzz is targeting a post, but all I'm seeing/hearing is coach wanting another 3/4 (i.e. Crowder).

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 02:49:44 PM »
 Correct me if I'm wrong but Buzz said that Otule was the most improved over the summer out of any of the players. Granted he has not been on the court to display his improvement, yet he will only be a Soph next year when he steps on the court. I trust Buzz that he has improved greatly and he is still young, sometimes a year off does a player wonders just watching the flow of the game and learning where you should on offense/defense.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 02:52:34 PM »
Acker and DJ have been replaced with bigger and stronger guards at least if we are not going to have any big men.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 02:58:17 PM »
I am less concerned with 6'10"  than bulk. 

Some say that Robert Jackson was really only a touch over 6'8" and that DuJuan Blair was a hair under 6'7".  BIG BUTTS.  Think Wes Unseld.

JJ Weber almost made it to the NBA with a big butt and a drop step ( his words ).

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
Send 4never out on the recruiting trail, he knows all about big butts.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »
Its been mentioned numerous times by Buzz and recruits that he basically runs a 3 guard offense so getting a 7th guard for 3 starting positions sounds about right.  The remaining 6 players on the roster will compete for the remaining 2 starting positions.  EWilliams is a 4.  Fulce and Butler are 3/4.  Otule and Mbao are 5s.  Buzz will find one more player that will fit the 4 or 4/5 position.  Jones, Blue and Newbill are all viewed as bigger sized guards so yes we are getting bigger. 

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 05:36:40 PM »
The premise of this article is bunk.  Yes, MU needs a legit big next year (my preference being a wide body 6'8" to 6'9" player that can haul in boards Marcus Jackson-style and play solid post defense), but to say we're actively trying to build a team of midgets without height? Complete crapola.

The average height on this year's Marquette roster is 75.0''.  That's 334th in the country and the 2nd smallest of all BCS schools (Oklahoma State's average height is 74.8").

http://kenpom.com/height.php?y=2010&s=SizeRank

Now, next year's roster as it stands (without an additional big, assuming no transfers/decommitments) would have an average height of 77.4"". Purdue is 50th in the country this year at 77.4" for comparision purposes.  

Having another big is pretty darn important, but having overall balance in terms of height up and down the roster (and being able to avoid situations where a 6'2" DJO is being forced to guard a 6'9" Stanley Robinson) is maybe just as critical.
The General has taken on a new command.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 06:21:43 PM »
Perfect team under 6'5" would be 5 D Wades. I would like my chances with that team.