[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5 points? I'll take it.  (Read 7670 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
5 points? I'll take it.
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:06:05 PM »
I'm okay with losing to the #5 team in the nation (#1 RPI) by 5 on their court.  

Too bad we didn't adjust earlier and play more pressure ball.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:08:25 PM by Hards_Alumni »

Markusquette

• All American
Re: 5 points? I'll take it.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 03:07:48 PM »
Agreed, but I'm sure we will see our fair share of complainers again. 

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 03:09:01 PM »
Love the fact that there is no quit in this team, it will pay off soon

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »
Marquette stood no chance going against their size (Onuaku, Jackson) and length (Johnson and Joseph)...hot shooting in the 1st half was the great equalizer.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 03:10:45 PM »
Agreed, thought we played pretty well.  Unfortunate that we seem to bring it against certain teams, especially the top teams, but play down to the level against some of the others (not always).  As we mature as a team, hopefully that will change.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
Wesley Johnson is a major stud.  Best player I have seen in BE this year.  Butler had no chance with him.  

Five point loss is still a loss, but coming back from 16 down was encouraging.    

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:12:20 PM »
Not a bad result, but knowing that we can hang in there makes any loss tough to swallow. The opening of the second half was so hard to watch- no one was really even fired up. I would just like to see this team bring it all together again like the Providence game.

MarqBB77-03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
We just cannot afford to keep losing.  I really like the hustle of the team as well, but I want to seem them experience some success.
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."  Al McGuire

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 03:16:01 PM »
I liked what I saw from Junior on the most part...considering this was his first BE game, coming off of that injury, against Syracuse, AT Syracuse and whatnot.

I'm disappointed again, but word, I will also take this.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 03:18:35 PM »
Agreed, thought we played pretty well.  Unfortunate that we seem to bring it against certain teams, especially the top teams, but play down to the level against some of the others (not always).  As we mature as a team, hopefully that will change.

I thought MU played terrible, and it's really the first game this year that I've felt this way.  I didn't see an adjustment made on either side of the ball (until it was essentially too late).  Cuse shot 12% from the 3-point line, but MU gave up 50+ points in the paint because they wouldn't pack it in.  I don't agree that this was a close game, and I hated the way they attacked the zone after the first 10 min. of the game.  I can't think of a single player who I thought showed improvement (it was nice to see Junior), and MU's transition defense looked silly as well.  Cuse is a good team, and MU is better than I thought they would be considering the injuries and transfer that played out this year, but I didn't see a lot of positives to take from this game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 03:20:22 PM »
I thought MU played terrible, and it's really the first game this year that I've felt this way.  

Did you see the DePaul game?  We played much better in this game than that one....certainly from the effort and intensity point of view. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »
I thought MU played terrible, and it's really the first game this year that I've felt this way.  I didn't see an adjustment made on either side of the ball (until it was essentially too late).  Cuse shot 12% from the 3-point line, but MU gave up 50+ points in the paint because they wouldn't pack it in.  I don't agree that this was a close game, and I hated the way they attacked the zone after the first 10 min. of the game.  I can't think of a single player who I thought showed improvement (it was nice to see Junior), and MU's transition defense looked silly as well.  Cuse is a good team, and MU is better than I thought they would be considering the injuries and transfer that played out this year, but I didn't see a lot of positives to take from this game.

Avid - the sooner you understand that it is hard to adjust to players who are 5-7 inches taller, 20-50 pounds heavier, and almost equally athletic...the less frustrated you will be with this team.  MU played well today.  SImply undermanned, undersized, and against a talented, talented team on the road. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 03:23:38 PM »
Not a bad result, but knowing that we can hang in there makes any loss tough to swallow.

Why would this loss be tough to swallow? The loss to DePaul was tough to swallow.

This game...we played against one of the best teams in the country, were over matched at every position, and got beat.  Regardless of our little comeback...we got beat pretty good today...something that was suppsed to happen, and was never really in doubt once the 2nd half began.

Were you expecting to win this game?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »
Why would this loss be tough to swallow? The loss to DePaul was tough to swallow.

This game...we played against one of the best teams in the country, were over matched at every position, and got beat.  Regardless of our little comeback...we got beat pretty good today...something that was suppsed to happen, and was never really in doubt once the 2nd half began.

Were you expecting to win this game?

I don't think anyone really expected to win this game coming in. But we played well in the first half, and when we were tied at halftime I thought we had a chance. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but we did beat Georgetown, who has one of the better big guys in the conference. Fulce's foul trouble really made a bigger impact than I expected

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 03:31:22 PM »
I don't think anyone really expected to win this game coming in. But we played well in the first half, and when we were tied at halftime I thought we had a chance. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but we did beat Georgetown, who has one of the better big guys in the conference. Fulce's foul trouble really made a bigger impact than I expected

Ok, but how is it tough to swallow?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
Did you see the DePaul game?  We played much better in this game than that one....certainly from the effort and intensity point of view. 

I thought the DePaul game was much different.  DePaul slowed it down, minimized the number of possessions, hit tough shots late in the shot clock, and MU missed a lot of "easy" opportunities.  I'll be interested to hear the comments from Buzz.  I didn't even think the guards were digging down after the first 15 min. of the game.  I'd put five defenders in the lane or press the heck out of a team before I watched my team give up 50+ points in the paint, but Buzz did find a way to give them a slim chance at the end against a great team on the road.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 03:35:50 PM »
This was the effort we needed at DePaul.  Better days are coming if we play like we did today. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »
I thought the DePaul game was much different.  DePaul slowed it down, minimized the number of possessions, hit tough shots late in the shot clock, and MU missed a lot of "easy" opportunities.  I'll be interested to hear the comments from Buzz.  I didn't even think the guards were digging down after the first 15 min. of the game.  I'd put five defenders in the lane or press the heck out of a team before I watched my team give up 50+ points in the paint, but Buzz did find a way to give them a slim chance at the end against a great team on the road.

Trust me..I think Buzz would LOVE to press the heck out of a team....but...we have no depth, and already have fatigue problems at the end of the game..that to press all game or a majority of the game is almost unrealistic with this team - or possibly counter-productive.  Thankfully next year when we add Blue, Smith and Jones..we will be deeper, which may allow us to press more and make up for our size deficiency by creating more turnovers, points off of turnovers..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 03:39:52 PM »
Avid - the sooner you understand that it is hard to adjust to players who are 5-7 inches taller, 20-50 pounds heavier, and almost equally athletic...the less frustrated you will be with this team.  MU played well today.  SImply undermanned, undersized, and against a talented, talented team on the road.  

So when a team is 5-7 inches taller and 20-50 pounds heavier, and shoots 12% from the 3 point line it's acceptable to give up 50+ points in the paint?  I'd rather make Rautins beat us than the Cuse big men, but Buzz obviously felt different on that matter.  I get that Cuse is a GREAT team, and a terrible match-up for MU.  That would seem to suggest MU needed a scheme to deal with those match-ups.  I watched Tracy Webster figure a way to do it to MU.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »
Agreed, but I'm sure we will see our fair share of complainers again. 

Why bother complaining at this point? This team has been teasing us all season wit these games. We played tough and athletic again hitting some decent 3s. and kept it close but lost to a taller bigger team. And it's going to happen at least a few more times

I'm at the point where I just hope that Marquette Madness has a cool t-shirt.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »
I'm okay with losing to the #5 team in the nation (#1 RPI) by 5 on their court.  

Too bad we didn't adjust earlier and play more pressure ball.

that game was not as close as the final score. They killed us. But yeah, keep enjoing the "close" losses.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 08:07:06 PM »
Yeah...MU never had a chance against those monsters they have. The fact that they hung in and didn't quit is worthy of a tip of the cap. Syracuse is about the worst match up MU could possibly get.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 08:17:52 PM »
So when a team is 5-7 inches taller and 20-50 pounds heavier, and shoots 12% from the 3 point line it's acceptable to give up 50+ points in the paint?  I'd rather make Rautins beat us than the Cuse big men, but Buzz obviously felt different on that matter.  I get that Cuse is a GREAT team, and a terrible match-up for MU.  That would seem to suggest MU needed a scheme to deal with those match-ups.  I watched Tracy Webster figure a way to do it to MU.

Which scheme would that be?  Was there somene else better equipped to handle Onuaku, Johnson, and Jackson on the inside?  I give credit to Buzz for somehow making this close game despite the fact that we got no rebounds all day and Syracuse was getting lay-ups the entire second half.  Tough loss, but this experience will pay-off in the end and our 4 toughest games on the schedule are behind us (although not so sure after watching UConn today).

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 08:23:23 PM »
Which scheme would that be?  Was there somene else better equipped to handle Onuaku, Johnson, and Jackson on the inside?  I give credit to Buzz for somehow making this close game despite the fact that we got no rebounds all day and Syracuse was getting lay-ups the entire second half.  Tough loss, but this experience will pay-off in the end and our 4 toughest games on the schedule are behind us (although not so sure after watching UConn today).

I more or less agree. Question is, what is "the end?" Next year? If so, I agree. To me, Syracuse was the best team we've played, and given the match up (size), we never had chance to win that game. I do see a number of wins on the horizon, but very few wins come March.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 08:29:26 PM »
I more or less agree. Question is, what is "the end?" Next year? If so, I agree. To me, Syracuse was the best team we've played, and given the match up (size), we never had chance to win that game. I do see a number of wins on the horizon, but very few wins come March.

There will be critical (and winnable) games down the road.  Today's effort probably wins against Cincy, Seton Hall, St. John's and Louisville.  I don't think its time to give up on this season yet.