Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is doing the color on ESPN U  (Read 6050 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
Who is doing the color on ESPN U
« on: January 23, 2010, 02:31:40 PM »
Talk about a Homer.  We'd be better off with the whoever is doing Syracuse Radio!

Ron Paul

• Starter
Re: Who is doing the color on ESPN U
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »
I actually had to double check to make sure Dickey Simpkins didn't go to Syracuse...he went to Providence

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:37:20 PM »
I actually had to double check to make sure Dickey Simpkins didn't go to Syracuse...he went to Providence
I was thinking he went to SU before he even started talking

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 02:39:24 PM »
It's ridiculous how the commentators have no idea that this is Junior's first game of the year and make no mention of his injury.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 02:45:02 PM »
Dickey is a functioning retard.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 02:49:59 PM »
Still better than Mike "Did you know I went to Wisconsin" Kelley.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »

Couldn't agree more. When he got all jacked up about that goaltend and said it's just shot blocking, I thought about just muting the tv so I could listen to Mac on the radio

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 02:53:07 PM »
Dickey played for the Chicago Bulls during their second "three-peat" from 1996 to 1998.  

He sucked with the Bulls as much as he does as a color commentator.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »
Not that I would ever defend a Badger but I don't believe he has ever brought it up.  His play by play partner on the other hand works it into 50% of his commentary.

MU06CU10

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »

I couldn't disagree with this more. Mike Kelley knows a lot about the Marquette team and usually does a great job. It's the guy who usually does play-by-play with him that never shuts up about Wisconsin. I think I'd rather have someone punch me right in the ear than have to listen to Dickey Simpkins ever again, he's horrific.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 03:05:28 PM »

Functioning?  That's debatable.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 03:09:24 PM »
I couldn't disagree with this more. Mike Kelley knows a lot about the Marquette team and usually does a great job. It's the guy who usually does play-by-play with him that never shuts up about Wisconsin. I think I'd rather have someone punch me right in the ear than have to listen to Dickey Simpkins ever again, he's horrific.

Fair enough. 
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 03:15:50 PM »

I agree...Mike Kelley does a great job. Not to mention, he married a former Marquette women's player, so there is some connection.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 03:26:16 PM »
Simpkins is really ridiculous!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 03:29:36 PM »
Couldn't agree more. When he got all jacked up about that goaltend and said it's just shot blocking, I thought about just muting the tv so I could listen to Mac on the radio
If it weren't for the delay, I'd do that for nearly every MU game.
GO WARRIORS!

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 04:33:54 PM »
ESPN U is generally just terrible.  I don't usually notice the camera work in a broadcast, but at least three plays were missed because the operator was out getting a sandwich while Syracuse was dunking on us.

Did you guys realize that the Carrier Dome is a hostile environment? I didn't until today

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »
ESPN U is generally just terrible.  I don't usually notice the camera work in a broadcast, but at least three plays were missed because the operator was out getting a sandwich while Syracuse was dunking on us.

Did you guys realize that the Carrier Dome is a hostile environment? I didn't until today

it seems like games played at syracuse have an odd camera angle that is really close to the floor, i've noticed this before. It probably has something to do with the carrier dome being a football stadium, but its sometimes hard to see what's going on without a wide view of the court.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 10:25:17 PM »
it seems like games played at syracuse have an odd camera angle that is really close to the floor, i've noticed this before. It probably has something to do with the carrier dome being a football stadium, but its sometimes hard to see what's going on without a wide view of the court.

They need those sweeping pulley cams that the NFL and college fb use to broadcast their games.
They're used in the NCAA tourney as well...
SS Marquette

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 11:45:40 PM »
Dickie Simpkins was driving me bonkers.  He said multiple times in the first half while MU had a 4 -6 point lead that he couldn't believe Marquette was hanging around when SU was dominating the game.  How can MU be within 2 - 4 points of Syracuse when the orange were dominating points in the paint.  DICKIE - MU was leading at the time you idiot.

that guy ruined a bad day
Original member of the "Dean's List"

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »
I am glad someone brought this subject up. I stayed away from the news as the game was on time delay on A-FARTS. I was amazed at how awful Simpkins was. He is inartiuclate and offers no insight  so I am not sure what he value he offers the broadcast. I was stunned that when Marquette had a 5-7 point lead this guy kept speaking of how SU was dominating. He then furthered the insult by giving MU "credit" for having the guts to play hard against the obviously better Syracuse. We should all writesomething to ESPN. Simpkins is the worst color guy I have ever heard and that says a lot.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »
If it weren't for the delay, I'd do that for nearly every MU game.

Get DVR, pause game for 4 seconds, press play.   No more delay.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »
The only thing more annoying than the announcers were the Syracuse players.   Acting like we were some Div III team .  Glad we came back to wipe the stupid smiles off their faces.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »
I guess it's a matter of taste. As has been mentioned, Mike Kelley's partner and producer are the ones who bring up his UW playing years. My personal opinion is that he is one of the best regional announcers out there. He may not be a total Milwaukee/MU homer, but he does like MU and does a lot of work/research to get up to speed, unlike a dude like Simpkins who seems to just show up and start babbling. Kelley is also in a no-win situation in Wisconsin because UW fans give him crap because they think he favors MU -- yeah, I don't get that either. He could have really held a grudge against MU considering how Crean treated him (not giving him access at shoot-arounds because he is a UW guy, etc.), but I know for a fact he really likes Buzz and respects the program.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 02:25:46 PM »
Crean really didn't give him access bc he was a badger?  I actually think he does a great job and seemed to really have a good feel for Marquette on  an espn radio interview.
"We have the blues on the run!"

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 04:57:02 PM »
Crean really didn't give him access bc he was a badger?  I actually think he does a great job and seemed to really have a good feel for Marquette on  an espn radio interview.
Yep. Specifically, the morning shootarounds when the announcers are more casual and just talking to coaches and players. Buzz is entirely the opposite and always open and accommodating. Just another example of how TC is/was a class-A d-bag in my book.