Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: You know what is more embarrassing that last night?  (Read 7366 times)

GGGG

• All American
You know what is more embarrassing that last night?
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »
The postings to MU Scoop over the last 12 hours.

So far I have read that Buzz sucks, the team has no heart and no balls, and Lazar isn't a leader.  Sad.

This team is a marginal NCAA tournament team that played a bad game.  It really is just that simple.  But some fans think that somehow they are entitled to root for a team that is more than that.  When that doesn't happen, the bad sports cliches fly around and they throw their team under the bus.

Sometimes in sports bad teams lose to better teams.  It happens. 

LON

• All American
Re: You know what is more embarrassing that last night?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:28:02 AM »
+1

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:29:43 AM »
Actually most of the time bad teams lose to better teams.   It didn't happen last night.   Just awful. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:31:16 AM »
Like clockwork .. people are mad after a loss.  And people are mad at those who are mad.  

Then there's the people who are mad at those who are mad at those who are mad.

What's for lunch?

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:34:31 AM »
 Amen
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

LON

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:34:56 AM »
Like clockwork .. people are mad after a loss.  And people are mad at those who are mad.  

Then there's the people who are mad at those who are mad at those who are mad.

What's for lunch?

Pizza Man...

/too soon?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 11:34:57 AM »
The postings to MU Scoop over the last 12 hours.

So far I have read that Buzz sucks, the team has no heart and no balls, and Lazar isn't a leader.  Sad.

This team is a marginal NCAA tournament team that played a bad game.  It really is just that simple.  But some fans think that somehow they are entitled to root for a team that is more than that.  When that doesn't happen, the bad sports cliches fly around and they throw their team under the bus.

Sometimes in sports bad teams lose to better teams.  It happens. 

Particular attacks on particular players I think is out of bounds.  The comments about someone sucking, etc...I agree, also out of bounds.

The result last night, however, was embarrassing.  I don't know any other way to describe it.  DePaul is THAT BAD.  It's an embarrassing loss, no other way to state it, but to your point, the personal attacks are equally embarrassing. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 11:39:29 AM »
Particular attacks on particular players I think is out of bounds.  The comments about someone sucking, etc...I agree, also out of bounds.

The result last night, however, was embarrassing.  I don't know any other way to describe it.  DePaul is THAT BAD.  It's an embarrassing loss, no other way to state it, but to your point, the personal attacks are equally embarrassing. 

The result was embarrassing...the team isn't.  I'm proud these guys represent my alma mater.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
Actually most of the time bad teams lose to better teams.   It didn't happen last night.   Just awful. 

Yeah, I said that wrong didn't I! 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 11:50:07 AM »

The result was embarrassing...the team isn't.  I'm proud these guys represent my alma mater.

I'd say the result and effort were embarrassing.  The players on the team are not.  Frustrating loss, that is for sure.  Shocking result quite frankly.   I'm very hard pressed to think of a worse loss in the last 15 years.  Maine in the Deane era and ND State I'm sure come to mind, but both of those opponents actually had some success.  DePaul is beyond brutal.  Especially with the amount of MU fans there, the rivalry component, the fact that this team should not be taking anyone for granted.  Shocking result.  Unfortunate.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 11:56:45 AM »
I'd say the result and effort were embarrassing. 

How do you know? You didn't watch the game.

One bad loss so far this year. Embarassing is way to strong of a word for it, IMO. Time to move on to the next game.

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 12:14:49 PM »
Yeah..but you can't lose that game.  It is an embarrassing loss and becasue of that people are upset and are going to say things.  So why don't you just relax a little bit and let people vent.  5 losses by a combined 7 points is tough for any team and their fans.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 12:18:59 PM »
Because it isn't just venting.  I've said a number of things here...the offense simply sucked.  They didn't give Lazar enough touches in the second half.  They couldn't handle the switching on every screen, etc. 

I have a problem with throwing them under the bus..."the team is embarrassing,"  "They have no heart," etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »
How do you know? You didn't watch the game.

One bad loss so far this year. Embarassing is way to strong of a word for it, IMO. Time to move on to the next game.

DVRS...new invention.    ;D

I watched it on DVR this morning, the second half.  Watching some of the first half right now.  When I say effort, I mean energy. There is no energy out there, there seems to be a lack of hustle at times and desire.  Very flat.  When I see a flat team I equate it to effort.  A team with great effort is never flat.

How would you describe being the first team to lose to another team in almost two years in conference,, WITHOUT their best player, in a building where half the crowd were Marquette fans, and the closest margin of defeat they had was within 13 points.   I can't think of a better word than embarrassing.  What word would you prefer if you think that one is too harsh?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:51 PM »
Chicos, I think that you are correct that the energy level was down.  I think you can credit Tracy Webster's game plan for a lot of that.  After the run to put MU up 20-8, De Paul switched their defense to something Mike Kelly called "man-to-man with zone principles."  Basically what they did was switch all screens on defense which really limited our penetration, which is such a big part of our game. 

Their big guys also played very well by keeping Butler and Hayward off of the offensive boards.  I have yet to see Henry Sugar's analysis, but my guess is that this was the least effective offensive game of the season, precisely because our offensive rebounding was so poor. 

I think De Paul's plan was very good, exercised well, and we didn't respond - neither energy-wise nor Xs and Os wise.

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 12:44:09 PM »
No matter what way you cut it...it WAS an embarrassing loss.  I am sure they are embarrassed by their performance.  I wish they played ith a little more heart last night.  That's all it should have taken to beat that DePaul team.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 12:44:25 PM »
Chicos, I think that you are correct that the energy level was down.  I think you can credit Tracy Webster's game plan for a lot of that.  After the run to put MU up 20-8, De Paul switched their defense to something Mike Kelly called "man-to-man with zone principles."  Basically what they did was switch all screens on defense which really limited our penetration, which is such a big part of our game. 

Their big guys also played very well by keeping Butler and Hayward off of the offensive boards.  I have yet to see Henry Sugar's analysis, but my guess is that this was the least effective offensive game of the season, precisely because our offensive rebounding was so poor. 

I think De Paul's plan was very good, exercised well, and we didn't respond - neither energy-wise nor Xs and Os wise.

And it will likely become a pattern that other teams will explore using.  I have no way of knowing this, but my guess is that we just took them for granted.  We saw how horrible they were, felt we would stroll in there and win, came out flat with little effort and got bit big time.  In my mind, that's on the coaching staff and the seniors.  It's human nature to look at a piss poor team and think you're going to win, but it's also part of the senior leadership and the coaching staff to make sure they don't allow that to happen. 

mac2bdr

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
You know what is embarrassing is our free throw shooting. How many games are they going to lose this way?

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 12:59:08 PM »
I'd like to point out one bit of good in this:
I was able to take one of the buses to the game that left from the Al Center. And though the All State arena looks like a bowling alley and the outcome of the game was not in our favor, I think it was an otherwise fun time.

The Marquette Student Fans were much louder than the DePaul Student fans for about 36+ minutes in the game. And the contingent of alums that took the bus was fun but seeing a lot of Chicago MU fans come to the came was remarkable as well. Still calling the All-State the Al McGuire Court South might be a bit of an overstatement but MU fans out numbered DePauls. DePaul's student section had a particularly pathetic turn out. I think the MU fans were able to help raise the energy level of the team, even if that energy knob was only moved from 0 to 1.

However if anyone is superstitious, this was my first MU away game so I might be banned from future bus trips.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 12:59:28 PM »
I'd say the result and effort were embarrassing.  The players on the team are not.  Frustrating loss, that is for sure.  Shocking result quite frankly.   I'm very hard pressed to think of a worse loss in the last 15 years.  Maine in the Deane era and ND State I'm sure come to mind, but both of those opponents actually had some success. 

That Maine team finished 11-20, playing in the America East conference.
Interesting definition of success.
I don't think it's a stretch to suggest this Depaul team could win 11 games playing in that conference.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 01:03:25 PM »
what the hell is this " you can't comment if you didn't see the game" crap?

losing to a patsy with a home game feel crowd and a final minutes lack of free throw shooting(again) certainly warrants comment ,regardless.

With that kind of logic no one could speak about the disaster in haiti

mugrad99

• Team Captain
If that's directed at me....
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »
what the hell is this " you can't comment if you didn't see the game" crap?

losing to a patsy with a home game feel crowd and a final minutes lack of free throw shooting(again) certainly warrants comment ,regardless.

With that kind of logic no one could speak about the disaster in haiti

It's simple, Chicos said the team lacked effort, prior to even watching the game on this newfangled device called a DVR :P

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »
I'd like to point out one bit of good in this:
I was able to take one of the buses to the game that left from the Al Center. And though the All State arena looks like a bowling alley and the outcome of the game was not in our favor, I think it was an otherwise fun time.

The Marquette Student Fans were much louder than the DePaul Student fans for about 36+ minutes in the game. And the contingent of alums that took the bus was fun but seeing a lot of Chicago MU fans come to the came was remarkable as well. Still calling the All-State the Al McGuire Court South might be a bit of an overstatement but MU fans out numbered DePauls. DePaul's student section had a particularly pathetic turn out. I think the MU fans were able to help raise the energy level of the team, even if that energy knob was only moved from 0 to 1.

However if anyone is superstitious, this was my first MU away game so I might be banned from future bus trips.

That makes me more depressed.  It was like a home game away from home with our fans and we still couldn't come through.

Ugh

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: If that's directed at me....
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 03:19:01 PM »
It's simple, Chicos said the team lacked effort, prior to even watching the game on this newfangled device called a DVR :P

Huh?  I don't think that's true....I believe I said that comment it after I watched it this morning. 

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 03:29:47 PM »
cutting a really smelly fart in an elevator and having a good looking woman get on at the next stop!