Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Remaining schdule  (Read 3784 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Remaining schdule
« on: February 11, 2007, 09:51:50 AM »
Taking a look at MU's remaining games (as well as Pitt annd GU), I can honestly say I think we may run the table and finish in a 3-way tie for first with G'town and Pitt at 13-3, netting us a share of the title and the No. 2 Seed in the BE tournament (G'town -1, Pitt - 3). Would a loss somewhere along the way shock me? Of course not, but I have a hard time figuring out where its going to come from. Some big challenges definitely lie ahead, but I'm not sure yesterday didn't provide the team with a valuable reminder of what is required to win. DePaul has been fairly tough at home, but assuming everyone is back in good health by then, I think we may win that one fairly convincingly. ND hasn't lost at home, but they have also recently sprinkled in losses to SJU, DePaul, and USF. Villanova, Louisville, and Pitt will all be tough, but I honestly believe the only team that can beat Marquette the rest of the way is Marquette. Entirely possible and perhaps even likley, but I think our next winning streak starts Wednesday.

MUBasketball

• All American
Re: Remaining schdule
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 01:22:14 PM »
I'm the eternal optimist when dealing with Marquette, but I disagree with your assessment. I think we lose again Wednesday @ DePaul (has nothing to do with yesterday, I thought so before the season). The guys have already won 4 road games, I think we got somewhat spoiled and expect to win every game now. Granted the Allstate will have a solid contingent of MU fans, but DePaul is very talented, yet streaky. We escaped with one last year, I see them evening the score. Hope I'm wrong, of course.

Regardless, we need to take care of business at home, with 3 very tough games remaining. Sweeping Louisville will be a chore, I think Villanova is an NCAA Tournament team, and sweeping Pittsburgh is a crazy idea as well...certainly doable though. To me, all bets are off the rest of the season.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 05:21:29 PM »
I'm the eternal optimist when dealing with Marquette, but I disagree with your assessment. I think we lose again Wednesday @ DePaul (has nothing to do with yesterday, I thought so before the season). The guys have already won 4 road games, I think we got somewhat spoiled and expect to win every game now. Granted the Allstate will have a solid contingent of MU fans, but DePaul is very talented, yet streaky. We escaped with one last year, I see them evening the score. Hope I'm wrong, of course.

Regardless, we need to take care of business at home, with 3 very tough games remaining. Sweeping Louisville will be a chore, I think Villanova is an NCAA Tournament team, and sweeping Pittsburgh is a crazy idea as well...certainly doable though. To me, all bets are off the rest of the season.
I agree, every remaining game is very tough.  Having said that, I would be hugely disappointed if we don't beat Louisville at home and even Villanova.  But every game left is going to be very difficult.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 05:33:45 PM by mu_hilltopper »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 11:00:50 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if we lost our two remaining road games at DPU and ND....of course I hope we run the table...but I'd surely take an 11-5 BE record!  I think that would give us a good shot at a 4 seed which would be huge.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 07:45:06 AM »
I think Louisville is a very likely win, but the other five games could go either way.  DePaul will be desperate and are pretty good when they're playing well (see their win over Kansas and recent one over ND).  I see our chances of victory breaking down as follows:

at DePaul 50%
at Notre Dame 40%
Louisville 80%
Villanova 65%
Pitt 50%

So I'd say anything from 1-4 to 5-0 is in play, but I'll guess we'll go 3-2 down the stretch and finish at 24-7 (11-5).  If we do that plus win at least one in the BE to get that 4 seed, which we really need to get a Sweet 16 run going.  Anything after that is gravy.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 08:42:57 PM »
I think Louisville is a very likely win, but the other five games could go either way.  DePaul will be desperate and are pretty good when they're playing well (see their win over Kansas and recent one over ND).  I see our chances of victory breaking down as follows:

at DePaul 50%
at Notre Dame 40%
Louisville 80%
Villanova 65%
Pitt 50%

So I'd say anything from 1-4 to 5-0 is in play, but I'll guess we'll go 3-2 down the stretch and finish at 24-7 (11-5).  If we do that plus win at least one in the BE to get that 4 seed, which we really need to get a Sweet 16 run going.  Anything after that is gravy.

Lville looked mighty good tonight at Pitt...20 point win.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 08:50:12 PM »
Louisville played exceptionally well tonight... but can they maintain that level? I don't think they can. They executed their offense better than I've seen them all year, and to be honest Pitt did not play their trademark tough defense.

I think we have a great shot at running the table... the only game that scares me right now is ND. The BC will be packed and rocking for the last three home games, I can't see us dropping another one at home. Also I think after the debacle on Saturday this team will come out firing against DePaul on Wednesday.

This could all change if the Creanbola virus keeps running through the team and our guys are as sick as Wesley was on Saturday...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 08:59:37 PM »
This could all change if the Creanbola virus keeps running through the team and our guys are as sick as Wesley was on Saturday...

That's the part that scares me.

4everwarriors

• All American
Highly Improbable...
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 09:00:05 PM »
that the Warriors run the table. Key game on Wed. A win in Chi. jumps starts the  remaining schedule while an "L" makes beating Louisville a "must win" which will be a very difficult game. ND will be a war in a very hostile environment and Pitt @ home is no gimme.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:10:19 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 09:05:11 PM »
I hate to be so blunt, but it all depends on James.  When he plays like he did against GTown we could go 0-5 if he plays like he did against Pitt we could go 5-0.  Unfortunately its that simple, at least IMHO.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 09:28:52 PM »
I just don't see ND being that tough.  Same with DePaul.  If we truley are 1 of the top 20 teams in the country, we win at least of those and should really win both.  Pitt is by far the toughest game left on our schedule with the other 4 being about the same.