Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Embarrassing effort from an embarrassing team  (Read 15777 times)

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
Embarrassing effort from an embarrassing team
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:05:48 PM »
MU was not ready to play, simple as that.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
Re: Embarrassing effort from an embarrassing team
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:07:49 PM »
At least the NCAA tournament talk can stop now.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »
I'm not going to go all pollyanna but this team is not embarrasing. That said...this loss is f'ing HUMILIATING

Haven't seen the action since the DC area isn't showing it until later tonight on replay but watched the score the final minutes on CBS Scoreboard...WTF happened?!?!?!

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Lazar and Cubes missed the front end of 1 and 1's and they lost on a last second shot...unbelievable.

dolly4512

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 10:10:41 PM »
please refrain from commenting if you havent watched the game.  meaningless.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11:36 PM »
Once again, the inability to make a clutch free throw in the final minute. Of course, it shouldn't have come to that. This season is over.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:15:57 PM »
Dolly, I'm not going to rile you up. I know you're highly overemotional right now, what with your "close the school" post but I'm not going to refrain from trying to figure out what went down.

marquetteff03

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:19:40 PM »
So how many games is it this year where I am so sick to my stomach I can't even believe it.

So essentially we are about 5 points from a 3 loss team. I realize we may not have the players but how can we be so close everytime but never pull it out (1-6 yes Georgetown)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 10:21:36 PM »
Inability to make a free throw? How about inability to get a field goal in the final three minutes....AGAIN!

Effing pathetic.

The worst thing is that this is a benefit-of-the-doubt loss. Meaning, no matter what happens from here out, we now have this loss on our resume and it's gonna be tough to find a competing BCS-conference team with a worse one than this.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
there's no such thing as a bcs team in college basketball. wrong sport.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 10:43:34 PM »
I kept asking myself when the team was going actually step off the bus and show up... how is this the same team that we saw dismantle providence?

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »
It wasn't the same team.  They shied away from the 3, Lazar once again shucked his role as leader, and we didn't capitalize on their turnovers.

#MUBB

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 11:30:24 PM »
im embarrassed. awful.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 11:37:02 PM »
Dear God! is there really 25+ topics about this loss. Yes, it was a huge loss, but they happen. Didn't we lose to teams like Dayton with our big 3 when we were top 25? They will win some more they shouldn't have, and they will lose some they should win. They might not make the tournament but the future is still bright.

Calling a bunch of 19-22 year olds an embarrassing team after one loss. Why don't you say how much heart these guys have next week and how amazingly they compete when have a close game against a top 25 teams. Stop being so emotional.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 11:48:10 PM »
I was there and it wasn't any better live than some of these posts saying how sick it was.  Embarrassing is a good word though.  How do you lose to a team that has had 24 straight BE losses?  To me, and I'll be quick to say I can't get in the minds of the players, it seems like MU never thought they were going to lose until they did.  The final margin was DePaul's only lead.

Buzz may have been the only one that sensed the urgency.  DJO was way off and then was afraid to take his shot.  The team looked like it was content to put in a sloppy effort and pay the price for winning a game they should have dominated (i.e. have Buzz take them through some tough practices, listen to his harsh words--all of the things that come with lackadaisical effort.)

Junior warmed up and seemed to have his game face on, but I never really thought he was going to get in--unless they got a 20+ pt. lead which I think most of the place thought was going to happen.  I know it was 20-8 MU at one point, but again at no point was Marquette playing well.

Whoever said that we can now cool the NCAA talk is smack on.  It was a bad loss to a very bad team.  That 1- after DePaul's name in the standings may still be there when the BE season is over.

For the shoulda, coulda, woulda crowd there was a Buycks 3 at the end of the first half that sure looked good but was waved off.  And on the final play, trailing by one after a Cubie missed front end of the one and bonus, Acker swiped it away from Jeremiah Kelly (who was a TO waiting to happen all night) and it bounced towards the sideline when Stovall picked it up and hurled in a long 2 with 0.7 seconds left.  From about five minutes to play it looked like MU was going to play bad enough for DePaul to get a chance to steal it at the end and they did.  The better team didn't win but MU certainly earned the loss.  A really bad loss; may come with a hangover.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 11:52:58 PM »
Gang,

I believe God gives you the same test over and over until you pass it.  It is my sincere belief that Jesus didn't want us to win this game.  But we'll pray over every made basket and hope that Jesus wants us to win on the home stand.

This team is average at best.  I think we'll be a 17 seed onthe tourney and lose to Creighton at the buzzer.  Blah, blah.  Truth is MU has underperformed for 4 hrs + 1 game.  DePaul sucks ass.  Defend this loss.  I dare you.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »
Gang,

I believe God gives you the same test over and over until you pass it.  It is my sincere belief that Jesus didn't want us to win this game.  But we'll pray over every made basket and hope that Jesus wants us to win on the home stand.

This team is average at best.  I think we'll be a 17 seed onthe tourney and lose to Creighton at the buzzer.  Blah, blah.  Truth is MU has underperformed for 4 hrs + 1 game.  DePaul sucks ass.  Defend this loss.  I dare you.

It's a team full of new comers, a undersized PG, and a team leader who has been the 4th man for the past 3 years. I don't expect this team to win every game. It was a bad loss, but that doesn't mean it's horrible or an "embarrassing team." I'll give you it's an embarrassing loss, but I haven't given up on this team, especially looking into the future.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 12:19:21 AM »
Yes, this was a disappointing loss, but the team is not an embarrassment.  An embarrassing team is one like SUNY-Binghamton, where multiple players get arrested for assault, the starting point guard is a drug dealer, and 5 guys get dismissed for disciplinary reasons in one season.

MU played a bad game, but that's it.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 12:29:09 AM »
the starting point guard is a drug dealer

may be closer to the truth than you think...
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 01:13:03 AM »
Dear God! is there really 25+ topics about this loss. Yes, it was a huge loss, but they happen. Didn't we lose to teams like Dayton with our big 3 when we were top 25? They will win some more they shouldn't have, and they will lose some they should win. They might not make the tournament but the future is still bright.

Calling a bunch of 19-22 year olds an embarrassing team after one loss. Why don't you say how much heart these guys have next week and how amazingly they compete when have a close game against a top 25 teams. Stop being so emotional.

I'm with you, i never once thought the kids weren't playing their hardest. They just had a mix of struggling how to figure out that matchup zone, couldn't hit open shots that they normally make, and yet again couldn't make free throws late that would have sealed the game.

Often solid teams that lack overwhelming talent though will find themselves in close games with bad teams  a few times instead of the games being blowouts. In those type of games, someone needs to be able to step up and hit a big shot late or make free throws so as to pull out one of those wow thank god we hung on games. It never happened tonight though. If either Lazar or Coobie makes both free throws, they hang on.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 01:32:23 AM »

Dayton hasn't been awful in a really long time. DePaul is the worst team in any major conference, and maybe only slightly better than some of the worst mid-low major teams. To say this loss is an embarrassment is an understatement and it's the worst loss by a Marquette team since the Deane era.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 01:42:13 AM »

What does being 19-22 have to do with it? 18 year olds can fight a die in war, no room for weakness there. When you look at the big picture, its really not that much pressure to make a couple free throws, they should be able to do it. Hell, they are receiving a free 36k/year education to make those shots, don't tell me how they are too young to be expected to do it.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 06:57:15 AM »
MU was not ready to play, simple as that.

And that is on the Coach!!!!!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 07:19:38 AM »
Good thing Koshwal wasn't playing.  We'd have lost by 20.  Very disappointing.  Kinda' like the Packer loss to Tampa Bay.  No wait, this was worse.  It's a laughingstock-type loss.  Well we're the answer to a new trivia question now, aren't we?

LON

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 07:22:14 AM »
may be closer to the truth than you think...

Granted, I chuckled, but completely unnecessary.