Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Embarrassing effort from an embarrassing team  (Read 15774 times)

chapman

• All American
Re: Embarrassing effort from an embarrassing team
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 07:48:05 AM »
Dear God! is there really 25+ topics about this loss. Yes, it was a huge loss, but they happen. Didn't we lose to teams like Dayton with our big 3 when we were top 25?

Dayton got as far as we did in the NCAA tournament last year.  DePaul would come in 7th in the Horizon League.  The USF game would be a better comparison, except 1) as far as Buzz's "zero margin of error" is concerned, last year's team could afford the loss while this year's team could not,  and 2) we traveled to Tampa, not Chicago to play in front of half MU fans.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 07:54:27 AM »
I will give DePaul, and I suppose Tracy Webster some credit. As far as effort and intensity goes, they looked a little like we usually do last night. I don't think they are any good, but they sure played better than I thought they were capable of.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 08:31:52 AM »
Dear God! is there really 25+ topics about this loss. Yes, it was a huge loss, but they happen. Didn't we lose to teams like Dayton with our big 3 when we were top 25? They will win some more they shouldn't have, and they will lose some they should win. They might not make the tournament but the future is still bright.

Calling a bunch of 19-22 year olds an embarrassing team after one loss. Why don't you say how much heart these guys have next week and how amazingly they compete when have a close game against a top 25 teams. Stop being so emotional.

+1

I can't believe the highs and lows most of you go through - all depending on the results of a group of 18-22's playing basketball.

I wonder if Cinncy (lost to 1-4 Seton Hall and 2-4 St. John's) fans are ready to jump off a cliff also............

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:39:31 AM by lurch91 »

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 08:35:07 AM »
Dear God! is there really 25+ topics about this loss. Yes, it was a huge loss, but they happen. Didn't we lose to teams like Dayton with our big 3 when we were top 25? They will win some more they shouldn't have, and they will lose some they should win. They might not make the tournament but the future is still bright.

Calling a bunch of 19-22 year olds an embarrassing team after one loss. Why don't you say how much heart these guys have next week and how amazingly they compete when have a close game against a top 25 teams. Stop being so emotional.

Amen Brother.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 08:50:48 AM »
Why don't you say how much heart these guys have next week and how amazingly they compete when have a close game against a top 25 teams. Stop being so emotional.

Never gonna happen. When we compete against top 25 teams and come up short, the same people who are still whining about last night's game are just going to nit pick how we failed, not how well we played and competed in a game that no one expected us to show up for.

cirella09

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 08:51:58 AM »
Embarrassing- NO
Heartbreaking- YES

However, its not the end of the world.  

Big Question: Is Marquette losing at Depaul worst than UW losing at UW-GB?????

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 10:07:41 AM »
This one is bad, and embarrassing.  It is not the worst loss since the Deane era by a long shot.

Just off the top of my head, it is not worse than being undefeated and ranked eighth in the country and losing to a South Florida team that had only two conference wins at that point (both against DePaul of course).  It is also not worse than being ranked ninth in the country and losing to North Dakota State AT HOME.

There seems to be one of these every year.  Move on and get ready for Saturday.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 10:43:51 AM »
Embarrassing- NO
Heartbreaking- YES

However, its not the end of the world.  

Big Question: Is Marquette losing at Depaul worst than UW losing at UW-GB?????

Yes. UWGB would beat DePaul probably 9/10 times

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 10:48:07 AM »
Yes. UWGB would beat DePaul probably 9/10 times

So would Marquette, last night was the 1 time we wouldn't beat DePaul.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 10:52:19 AM »
It's the only one of the ten that's in the record books, though.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
So would Marquette, last night was the 1 time we wouldn't beat DePaul.

It's unacceptable. This team is mentally weak and it doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon. That comes from the coach

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 10:58:27 AM »
This team is mentally weak

LOL! Please tell me you're joking. The play six, maybe seven guys and in most of their losses, they have taken a Top 10 team to the wire. Mentally weak!?!?!? Get clue, dude. 

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »
I do think that they are afraid to be shooting free throws with the game on the line ... Butler, DJO and now Lazar and Cubes.  We need to find someone that wants to take those shots.  I thought it would be Lazar and I thought that Cubes was a good choice after Lazar.  I don't think any of them want to be on the line when the game is on the line.  Yes, there were other issues but free throws would've salvaged the game.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 11:07:25 AM »
LOL! Please tell me you're joking. The play six, maybe seven guys and in most of their losses, they have taken a Top 10 team to the wire. Mentally weak!?!?!? Get clue, dude. 

Most teams play about seven guys, so that is nothing unusual.  But failing to finish games is getting into their heads.  It becomes a habit and they start to expect it just like we do.  Free throws are 90% mental in those situations.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 11:08:50 AM »
Most teams play about seven guys, so that is nothing unusual.  But failing to finish games is getting into their heads.  It becomes a habit and they start to expect it just like we do.  

Which one of the players or coaches told you that?

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 11:14:10 AM »

Florida St -> Up 17 in the 2nd half.  Up with a minute to go.   Loss.  Can't make free throws

West Virginia -> Up 5 with a minute to go.  Loss.  Can't make free throws

Villanova (H) -> Up with a minute to go.  Loss.  Can't make free throws

DePaul -> Never trailed to, but never stomped on one of the worst teams in D1 when they had the chance.  Led the game until the last second, but found a way to lose.   Among other things....can't make free throws.  

Funny thing about Marquette is that they have little difficulty making these free throws until there's only a couple minutes left.  When the pressure is on, they turn it off.   It seems to be the story of the year thus far and it tells me a lot about this team.    

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17:37 AM »

For the shoulda, coulda, woulda crowd there was a Buycks 3 at the end of the first half that sure looked good but was waved off.  

It wasn't.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2010, 11:18:06 AM »
Which one of the players or coaches told you that?

Read Jimmy Butler's comments about missed free throws after the Florida State loss.  

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2010, 11:42:27 AM »
Read Jimmy Butler's comments about missed free throws after the Florida State loss.  

Not sure exactly what comments you're talking about, but he certainly did look mentally weak when he hit 2 straight to seal the G'town win.

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
I agree w most of the comments...Embarrassing Effort!

Very sad...Chicago MU fans lefts their jobs early and lost precious time w their families to attend this game.

Horrible effort all around.

DePaul played very well...the blue demons deserved the victory last night.

Once again, these guys need to MAN UP and look in the mirror.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2010, 12:02:38 PM »

Very sad...Chicago MU fans lefts their jobs early and lost precious time w their families to attend this game.

Ah...the "MAN UP" cliche makes an appearance.  Better late than never I guess.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2010, 12:08:47 PM »

I think for your family it may have been a blessing.  It's one bad loss.  Some of you need to get over it.  On the whole, this team like most MU teams since KO arrived has competed hard night in and night out this season.  We may have screwed the pooch on NCAAs but who knows, right now it's ONE really bad loss.  I'm more interested in how we respond. 

And what does it mean "once again they need to man up"  Did they need to man up after winning 2 of 3 in Florida?  Did they need to man up after beating GT?  Or beating PC by 30?  Honestly, get over it. 

The vile on the board over one loss is unreal.  This team and this coach had big question marks after Georgetown and they have big question marks now.  A little perspective could help.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2010, 12:36:52 PM »
-Lens

To Man Up, is to act like a man and not a child, to take responsibility for one's actions.  The team played poorly and they deserved the Loss last night. I just hope they look in the mirror and understand that concept.  The effort wasn't there last night, the guys lollygagged around. 

If the team played hard and lost every game for the rest of the season...that's acceptable...the team is giving full effort.  Last night, however, was 40 minutes of zero effort.

We've botched a few second halfs this season because of poor effort.  These guys are young, it's not the end of the world.  I understand that.  They'll get it together, but last night was embarrassing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2010, 12:42:55 PM »
Actually, we have botched most of our second halves this year because of poor execution...not poor effort.  In fact I would say that against teams like Nova, WVU and Georgetown, the only reason we were in those games was because of extreme effort.

This game and the NC State game were the only ones I think where the effort was poor.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »
Florida St -> Up 17 in the 2nd half.  Up with a minute to go.   Loss.  Can't make free throws

West Virginia -> Up 5 with a minute to go.  Loss.  Can't make free throws

Villanova (H) -> Up with a minute to go.  Loss.  Can't make free throws

DePaul -> Never trailed to, but never stomped on one of the worst teams in D1 when they had the chance.  Led the game until the last second, but found a way to lose.   Among other things....can't make free throws.   

Funny thing about Marquette is that they have little difficulty making these free throws until there's only a couple minutes left.  When the pressure is on, they turn it off.   It seems to be the story of the year thus far and it tells me a lot about this team.   

The origins of the "Practice Free Throws" Narrative

Death on call

feedback