[Today at 12:37:36 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by MUbiz
[Today at 09:44:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM]

Miletic Commits by Pakuni
[June 17, 2024, 04:37:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More playing time for EWill and Mbao  (Read 3335 times)

tower912

• All American
More playing time for EWill and Mbao
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:01:50 AM »
So, with 8 days of practice between games, does anyone think that Mbao and in particular Ewill will have made enough progress that they can progress to 4-6-8 minutes a game?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
Re: More playing time for EWill and Mbao
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 09:03:39 AM »
Assuming each see more PT, I don't think the eight days will be as much of a factor as who they play this Sunday.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:07:05 AM »
No, but they're my guys.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »
With two relatively weaker opponents coming up, hopefully they will get more of an opportunity.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 09:52:10 AM »
I think so, especially if classes were not in session.  The team since Christmas, has had to focus mostly on the next team in a big way (WV, GT, Nova, Nova).  That gives zero time to go back to more basics, try different things and try to integrate Mbao and EWill.  I think this gives the coaches and players some time to breath and try to work on some fundamentals and problem areas with individual players and as a team.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 10:44:35 AM »
With 8 days of practice, plus 2 very weak oppnonents...it would be a good chance to get them some PT

Because next saturday @ Syracuse...they will likely be back at the end of the bench, hanging out with Frozena and the Managers.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 01:20:34 PM »
Will Buzz call a timeout for a team prayer, if Mbao scores a basket?

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 03:54:05 PM »
Will Buzz call a timeout for a team prayer, if Mbao scores a basket?

If Mbao scores a bucket someone is getting canonized.
Marquette University, Spring '08

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »

I am just hoping his first basket is a dunk where he slaps the backboard and screams, ala Jeff Robinson.  But it would be funnier because Mbao would still be on his feet.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 04:34:48 PM »
With 8 days of practice, plus 2 very weak oppnonents...it would be a good chance to get them some PT

Because next saturday @ Syracuse...they will likely be back at the end of the bench, hanging out with Frozena and the Managers.

I have seen too much of this here in the past week. I would say be careful in calling Providence weak, and definitely dont agree with VERY weak

As a matter of fact, I think this game is HUGE for this team with regards to the big picture. I think Providence may be one of the teams we are fighting for a spot in the tourney with, and a home loss could be catastrophic when/if they both end up on the bubble

Also, Depaul is very bad, but they also need a win very badly. This is a HUGE trap game, ala NC state. We all know what a loss to DePaul would do to MU's tourney chances

Im not trying to be Mr doom and gloom, but the team is young and will often play down to the competition, just like at times they have played up to the competition. Do not underestimate the importance of these games.

In other words, I do not think those guys will get more time because if the games are close we have seen that Buzz does not use them. Also, one of the negatives of Buzz as a young coach, IMO, is that he becomes nervous at certain points in games, mainly during crunch time, and can not hide that nervousness so i think it carries over to his players. When he gets nervous, even if in the first half, he seems to rarely trust those players that he uses seldomly

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »

And the defender should be applauded. :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:03:46 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 05:12:12 PM »
I have seen too much of this here in the past week. I would say be careful in calling Providence weak, and definitely dont agree with VERY weak

As a matter of fact, I think this game is HUGE for this team with regards to the big picture. I think Providence may be one of the teams we are fighting for a spot in the tourney with, and a home loss could be catastrophic when/if they both end up on the bubble

Also, Depaul is very bad, but they also need a win very badly. This is a HUGE trap game, ala NC state. We all know what a loss to DePaul would do to MU's tourney chances

I actually went to the DePaul / Providence game last night and can attest that while, yes, neither team is going to overwhelm MU with talent; they each boast enough dangerous players on their rosters that we cannot take them lightly.

Keno Davis seriously ran a 10 man rotation throughout the game...they have a deep roster made up of streaky guards and a few big bodies...if they get hot from outside they can do some serious damage.

DePaul, for as f*cked up as their program is between the firing and Koshwal's injury, still has Walker who can light it up and Maurice Stovall, a 6'5" JUCO transfer who plays with a ton of heart and put up 30+ last night.  Not too mention they have some size too.

Don't get me wrong, watching last night, I turned to my father a few times and said "we [MU] should beat DePaul by 30" - but neither team should be taken for granted...

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »

I am just hoping his first basket is a dunk where he slaps the backboard and screams, ala Jeff Robinson.  But it would be funnier because Mbao would still be on his feet.

Stanley?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 09:46:30 PM »
yea.  My bad.  Long day.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 07:53:18 AM »
I would hesitate to call Providence very weak. As if every Big East game, if we don't play very hard we will lose. Buzz is absolutely right when he says we have no margin for error.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 08:21:55 AM »
I actually went to the DePaul / Providence game last night and can attest that while, yes, neither team is going to overwhelm MU with talent; they each boast enough dangerous players on their rosters that we cannot take them lightly.

Keno Davis seriously ran a 10 man rotation throughout the game...they have a deep roster made up of streaky guards and a few big bodies...if they get hot from outside they can do some serious damage.

DePaul, for as f*cked up as their program is between the firing and Koshwal's injury, still has Walker who can light it up and Maurice Stovall, a 6'5" JUCO transfer who plays with a ton of heart and put up 30+ last night.  Not too mention they have some size too.

Don't get me wrong, watching last night, I turned to my father a few times and said "we [MU] should beat DePaul by 30" - but neither team should be taken for granted...

You cant take what Providence did vs. DePaul and think that is how they usually play. DePaul is that bad.

Providence does not have a 10 man rotation. That is what happens when you play DePaul and get up big...alot of guys get to play. They have a 6 to 7 guys getting significant minutes this season. Because they played 10 guys vs. DePaul, does not mean they have a 10 man rotation.

One more thing...THIS IS NOT A TRAP GAME!!! A trap game is when you are playing a weak opponent before playing a tough opponent, thus the potential to look past the weak one.  We play DePaul after Providence...

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 11:28:49 AM »
You cant take what Providence did vs. DePaul and think that is how they usually play. DePaul is that bad.

Providence does not have a 10 man rotation. That is what happens when you play DePaul and get up big...alot of guys get to play. They have a 6 to 7 guys getting significant minutes this season. Because they played 10 guys vs. DePaul, does not mean they have a 10 man rotation.

One more thing...THIS IS NOT A TRAP GAME!!! A trap game is when you are playing a weak opponent before playing a tough opponent, thus the potential to look past the weak one.  We play DePaul after Providence...

Agree that this isn't a trap game...

But I should clarify the "deep team" comment.  What I meant is that they rotate 10 guys that are all capable of providing meaningful minutes in B-East play.  No, they aren't an overly talented team, but they have a few really good players and they rotate enough guys that they always have fresh legs on the floor...

We should definitely beat both teams...but they can't be taken lightly...

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 12:06:55 PM »
Agree that this isn't a trap game...

But I should clarify the "deep team" comment.  What I meant is that they rotate 10 guys that are all capable of providing meaningful minutes in B-East play.  No, they aren't an overly talented team, but they have a few really good players and they rotate enough guys that they always have fresh legs on the floor...

We should definitely beat both teams...but they can't be taken lightly...

Again, you are wrong.

They dont "rotate 10 guys that are all capable of providing meaningful minutes in B-East play." The only reason those guys played in the game you saw, was because they were playing DePaul.

-J. Lacy played 17 minutes (coming in, he was averaging 7mpg in BE games, and had yet to score before the game vs. DePaul)
-K. Wright played 12 minutes (again, averaging 7mpg coming in)
-J. Still played 9 minutes (he had 10 TOTAL minutes coming in, including one DNP)
-R. Hall played 4 minutes

Part of the reason Wright and Still played so much, was because McKenzie had foul trouble.

In reality, in Big East play, they have a 6-7 man rotation.

feedback