Oso Article by MU82
[Today at 03:19:55 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Zog from Margo
[Today at 11:09:40 AM]

2025 Bracketology by wadesworld
[Today at 10:50:55 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 09:54:58 AM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pitt looked strong last night  (Read 5224 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Pitt looked strong last night
« on: January 14, 2010, 07:22:46 AM »
Won at UCONN by 10.  I had to watch the game on mute, but can anyone tell me the Pitt guard that seems to have a love for reverse layups?  He seemed to have about 4 in a row while Pitt was making their run in the second.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: Pitt looked strong last night
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 07:58:19 AM »
Interesting...I remember being ridiculed in the preseason when I defended PITT being slotted ahead of us in the rankings. 

And then fast forward a couple of weeks, and some clowns on this board thought that "we whould have no problem with them," because they lost to IU...nevermind the fact that they were without two key contributers that game (Dixon and Brown)

Pitt is really tough, and really well coached. Gilbert Brown has been really good for them since coming back from suspension. Ashton Gibbs could be the most improved player in the Big East.  They are a contender for the regular season title.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:11:29 AM »
PITT might just be the favorite at this point believe it or not.  They have already won at Cincy, Cuse and  now Uconn.  There remaining tough road games are WV, MU and ND.  They get Nova at home and there mirror games are SH, SJU and WV.  They could be a top ten team when they come to Milwaukee.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:35 AM »
Interesting...I remember being ridiculed in the preseason when I defended PITT being slotted ahead of us in the rankings. 

As well you should have been.  

Pitt lost more than we did from their starting lineup. They had questionable bench talent coming back.  Their recruiting class wasn't as good.

This is demonstration that the months of excuse-making regarding MU was misguided.  If Pitt can be 14-2 right now with that roster, there is no way MU should have six losses.  

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:39:37 AM »

Pitt lost more than we did from their starting lineup. They had questionable bench talent coming back.  Their recruiting class wasn't as good.

This is demonstration that the months of excuse-making regarding MU was misguided.  If Pitt can be 14-2 right now with that roster, there is no way MU should have six losses.  

Wow, do you watch basketball at all?

Lost more? Really? Both teams lost ALOT...3 very important starters plus a role player.

The difference is...and as I said at the time... Pitt has better players, better depth and more experience coming back than we do.  They have size up front. They have a better coach.

Pitt is a better team than we are. It has been clear for a long time. The fact that they are 14-2 doesnt mean that we should have less than 6 losses.  You sir, are the misguided one.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 08:44:06 AM »
 Pitt has looked strong and Jamie Dixon is one hell of a coach switching to the 2-3 zone towards the end of the game gave UCONN all kinds of trouble. Good win by Pitt but UCONN seems to be overrated every year their offense is like Gtowns.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 08:46:07 AM »

Agree. If Pitt lost as much as we did , then we need to quit making excuses. We do not have a center, we lost Mayman, we lost Jr. adda, yadda.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUWeb7

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 09:02:30 AM »
Pitt has looked strong and Jamie Dixon is one hell of a coach switching to the 2-3 zone towards the end of the game gave UCONN all kinds of trouble. Good win by Pitt but UCONN seems to be overrated every year their offense is like Gtowns.

I noticed that UCONN always tried to get it inside...they took only five 3-PA and sunk only one of them. We should consider not pressuring so much on the perimeter and pack it in against them. It seems if we try to pressure Dyson on the perimeter he will probably blow by our guards...he is just way too quick...same with Walker. Robinson has a nice touch for UCONN, but I think we forces too much.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 09:33:59 AM »

You seem to conveniently leave out one very important factor: Jamie Dixon.

Pitt has re-loaded for the last eight years. They never take a step back. Until it actually happens, people shouldn't predict it to happen. On that basis alone, Pittsburgh should always be slotted ahead of Marquette. It's as simple as they've got it done in the Big East multiple times whereas MU has only just been a competitive team.

Seems to me the poster who brought it up was pointing out the naivety of other posters that seemed not to understand just how damn good a program Dixon has led since taking over from Howland.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 09:39:13 AM »

BEFORE our highest ranked recruit and sure to be staring point guard was lost for the season, BEFORE our second highest ranked recruit and sixth man (who likely would have moved into the starting lineup) left the team and BEFORE the only true center in the rotation was lost for the season, Big East coaches and writers (and national writers) picked MU to finish 12th or 13th in the conference. We now have the smallest team in Big East history, no center and not even a true power forward. Our starting point guard is an undersized career backup 2 guard and his backup is a 5'8''(in very thick shoes) 150lb refugee from the Mid American Conference. In spite of all this you and Willie Warrior think this team is underachieving. Maybe you two know more than all the experts who get paid to opine about the game. Maybe you two know more than everybody else on this board. Nothing either of you has written to this point convinces me.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 09:43:38 AM »
BEFORE our highest ranked recruit and sure to be staring point guard was lost for the season, BEFORE our second highest ranked recruit and sixth man (who likely would have moved into the starting lineup) left the team and BEFORE the only true center in the rotation was lost for the season, Big East coaches and writers (and national writers) picked MU to finish 12th or 13th in the conference. We now have the smallest team in Big East history, no center and not even a true power forward. Our starting point guard is an undersized career backup 2 guard and his backup is a 5'8''(in very thick shoes) 150lb refugee from the Mid American Conference. In spite of all this you and Willie Warrior think this team is underachieving. Maybe you two know more than all the experts who get paid to opine about the game. Maybe you two know more than everybody else on this board. Nothing either of you has written to this point convinces me.

well said.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:51:21 AM »

And then fast forward a couple of weeks, and some clowns on this board thought that "we whould have no problem with them," because they lost to IU...nevermind the fact that they were without two key contributers that game (Dixon and Brown)

Pitt is really tough, and really well coached. Gilbert Brown has been really good for them since coming back from suspension. Ashton Gibbs could be the most improved player in the Big East.  They are a contender for the regular season title.

Should have just said, "I told you so!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 09:53:07 AM »
Buzz should call his friend a few states away to see how we beat them, didn't look too hard a few weeks ago. 

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:22:28 AM »
Buzz should call his friend a few states away to see how we beat them, didn't look too hard a few weeks ago. 
One team improved over the last month and a half and one team didn't because one team has a coach that is one of the best in the NCAA at player development and the other is only average.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 10:50:29 AM »

Excuses are like opinions, everybody has them.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 10:53:38 AM »
Excuses are like buttholes everybody has them.

Fixed (and edited for the language filter).

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »

It was posted in teal for a reason, lets not turn this into a Crean thread. Give credit where credit is due, Jamie Dixon is a good coach and playing against Levance Fields and Blair last season has helped to prepare the players that are stepping up this year. Pitt is not who I thought they were and anyone who says that they thought they would start the Big East season 4-0 whilst beating Syracuse, Cincinnati, and UCONN in three of those games is a liar.

Thats like saying you predicted that Marquette would start 4-0 at the beginning of the season.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »
Don't forget Pitt had two key contributors out most of the non conference schedule due to injury and academic suspension.  The announcers also said that Dixon coaching the U-19 National team gave him the ability to coach a more guard oriented team, conveniently similar in make up to his current roster.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 11:14:15 AM »

Actually the correct quote is "Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one". Your posts serve as exhibit A for this old saying.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »

TC doesn't have time to talk to Buzz. Too busy commiserating with his BFF Tony LaRussa about how SHOCKED they are about McGwire using steroids.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 11:37:19 AM »
Mark it down, Marquette will beat Pittsburgh in Milwaukee.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 11:40:45 AM »
You seem to conveniently leave out one very important factor: Jamie Dixon.

Oh, I don't think he left it out.   ;)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »

I'm trying to figure a name for a poster like you.  You and a few other posters on this board have the following characteristics...

~Extremely more negative than positive
   ~Resulted oriented, could less if we win/lose by 3 or 30
   ~Creates multiple topics during games
   ~Quiet during wins, LOUD during losses

Edit:  You hate, I mean hate Maurice Acker.  Just cruising through some of your posts, about 1/3 of them are your disdain for him.  And you like to point out that he is indeed short and a defensive liability.  Very keen insights sir. 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:48:28 PM by reinko »

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »
Not really piling on but this one has troubled me since I read it:

If Pitt can be 14-2 right now with that roster, there is no way MU should have six losses.   

That failed logic would have earned an "F" when I was in school.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 02:34:09 PM »
If everyone has a butthole, why are so many folks full of crap?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"