Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brandon Young re-opening his recruitment?  (Read 4763 times)

mujaxson

• Walk-On
Brandon Young re-opening his recruitment?
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
Brandon Young  may re-open his recruitment with Wainwright out at DePaul, and according to RecruitingChronicles.com, MU has given him an offer.  He is listed as a 2010, three star, 6-3 guard on Scout.  I'm not sure why we would need another guard next year.  Anyone have any further info?

http://www.recruitingchronicles.com/2010/01/brandon-young-may-reopen-recruitment.html

Fullodds

• All American
Re: Brandon Young re-opening his recruitment?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:53:04 PM »
I thought he signed a LOI.  If so, he would need a release from Ponsetto.  I don't think that will happen until after a new coach is in place and is given a chance to speak with Young.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:59:17 PM »
I know we were recruiting him during the fall, but that was before we signed Blue and Smith. Given our interior needs, I can't believe we'd still be interested (unless BMA knows otherwise).

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:46:07 PM »
Isn't there a rule that if you sign a LOI with a BEast team you are not allowed to sign with another BE team
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »
Isn't there a rule that if you sign a LOI with a BEast team you are not allowed to sign with another BE team

I think that just covers transfers. Technically I think you'd be fine transferring wherever as long as the school lets you out of your LOI.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
With Buycks and DJO proven and lots of talent in the backcourt coming in, this kid might not look at MU too closely, but maybe he wanted to go to a Catholic school in the Midwest so you never know.

Since Buzz has two scholarships and Otule, Mbao, Fulce, and EWill up front next year, he could justify using one on a guard I suppose.  Maybe a JUCO guard would be better to balance the classes.  One of the two needs to be a big man though.  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:04:13 PM by HoopsMalone »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 06:26:41 AM »
We have enough guards and desparately need quality big guys.

Why would we waste our time with a three star?

We will have Bucyks, DJO, Jr., Smith, Blue, Jones, etc.

What will Buzz do, start 5 guards?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 08:44:30 AM »
We have enough guards and desparately need quality big guys.

Why would we waste our time with a three star?

We will have Bucyks, DJO, Jr., Smith, Blue, Jones, etc.

What will Buzz do, start 5 guards?

Young's not coming to Marquette in the spring but I'm not sure the snobbish attitude is needed. We're a solid program but not exactly a "pick and choose" program. We deal with 3*s all the time, just look at our Center spot.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 08:45:25 AM »
Young's not coming to Marquette in the spring but I'm not sure the snobbish attitude is needed. We're a solid program but not exactly a "pick and choose" program. We deal with 3*s all the time, just look at our Center spot.

+1

Just curious because I can't remember, what was Wade rated?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:57:02 AM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 09:56:13 AM »
[/quote

Why is it a snobbish attitude to believe we have enough guards, and there fore should not be wasting time on a three star guard when we need big men? The last time I looked, 5 star was the highest rating, so three star is not that great. especially with what we have already there for next year at guard.

The point is, we need big men and not another guard---unless the guard is a real stud.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 09:56:51 AM »
We don't need a guard.  Need two guys in the frontcourt to replace Hayward and Maymon (oh wait, I thought he was a guard... :o).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 10:14:33 AM »
[/quote

Why is it a snobbish attitude to believe we have enough guards, and there fore should not be wasting time on a three star guard when we need big men? The last time I looked, 5 star was the highest rating, so three star is not that great. especially with what we have already there for next year at guard.

The point is, we need big men and not another guard---unless the guard is a real stud.

willie warrior sticking his foot in his mouth again?  no way.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 10:54:04 AM »
Thanks for defending me Hards? Alwaqys the people that cannot argue the facts resort to name calling and insults.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 10:58:14 AM »
Back in the Fall, Brandon Young was a part of a group of 2010 guards that were being recruited for the 5th guard spot. Buzz eventually got a commitement from Reggie Smith.

The timing of Young's commitement to DePaul seemed odd. He attended MU for the 2nd Elite Camp, and had an in home visit as well. Additionally, he had unofficials with UMass and Georgetown.  He said he was going to take officials to MU, Umass, and USF...and then BAM, commits to DePaul during his visit.

Again, an odd commtment, seeing has he had east coast schools interested, as well as a better school an hour north that was showing strong interest.

With that being said, I think the info in the orginal post is outdated. I would be surpised if MU was still interested. At the same time...Buzz has said many times that he will never turn down a player that he thinks is good enough...we shal see.

Of course, nothing can happen until he gets let out of his LOI.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »

Buycks and DJO are both three stars on rivals.  Jimmy is not even rated on rivals.  Granted, they are JUCO's but still contributing significantly.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 11:11:54 AM »
Buycks and DJO are both three stars on rivals.  Jimmy is not even rated on rivals.  Granted, they are JUCO's but still contributing significantly.

Completely agree.  We've seen topics here regarding star ratings and such and it only matters to a degree.  Top 100 recruits and 5 star players aren't shoe in to be superstars in college basketball.  At the same token, just because they're 3 star players, doesn't mean their fate has been sealed and contributions to the team will be slim to none.  Bottom line for me is that if the player wants to come here and they CAN contribute to Buzz's and the Program's expectations, then I'd welcome them. 

As for Young being a guard, I'd take the best players available.  Put it this way, if you have a chance to recruit 6 elite guards (all of whom is 6-4 or smaller), and the alternative is bringing in 6 average players, but a balanced class....I'd go with the elite players. 

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 11:36:05 AM »
Is this the same Brandon Young?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3jNDxfZKEM

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »
Thanks for defending me Hards? Alwaqys the people that cannot argue the facts resort to name calling and insults.

What facts?  You jump to your own conclusions every time you post anything, and then everyone jumps on you because you are stupid.

I am not name calling...  Sticking your foot in your mouth is an expression.

You seem to post first, and think second... if ever.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 12:29:23 PM »

Is this for real?  Unbelievable.  Great find.

mujaxson

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »
Back in the Fall, Brandon Young was a part of a group of 2010 guards that were being recruited for the 5th guard spot. Buzz eventually got a commitement from Reggie Smith.

The timing of Young's commitement to DePaul seemed odd. He attended MU for the 2nd Elite Camp, and had an in home visit as well. Additionally, he had unofficials with UMass and Georgetown.  He said he was going to take officials to MU, Umass, and USF...and then BAM, commits to DePaul during his visit.

Again, an odd commtment, seeing has he had east coast schools interested, as well as a better school an hour north that was showing strong interest.

With that being said, I think the info in the orginal post is outdated. I would be surpised if MU was still interested. At the same time...Buzz has said many times that he will never turn down a player that he thinks is good enough...we shal see.

Of course, nothing can happen until he gets let out of his LOI.

Thanks GOMU... the info may be referring to the fact that he had offers before committing to Depaul and if he gets his release, they will still stand. My bet is that Buzz has bigger priorities.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 12:32:31 PM »

I don't think so.  The schools in the video are located in SC and Young is from DC.  

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »
Willie, it is your first post in a while that isn't completely negative and/or wrong.    ASSUMING that everything stays status quo with the guards that are either here or coming here next year, we need bigs far more than we need Brandon Young.    Don't want to be picked on?  Quit competing for the 'most negative poster' award.     If I wanted to read a skewed perspective laced with malice for the MU program, I would go to the Badger board.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »
I don't think so.  The schools in the video are located in SC and Young is from DC.  

And that Brandon young is playing for the Trojans, and the Brandon Young in question plays for the Knights.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback