Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Comments from G'Town fans  (Read 6909 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Comments from G'Town fans
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »
Couple things I loved from that thread:

-Complaints on MU's "unconscious" 3 pt shooting. MU shot 46% from 3, their season average is 42%. Barely above average.

-The guy from MKE who loves getting digs in at the MU crowd. Cracks me up. As someone who has been to a couple games at the Verizon Center, the GU crowd can't hold a candle to the atmosphere at the BC. Such sour grapes.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:05:41 AM »
Loved this quote:

I think there are a lot of reasons why we lost, but the most glaring is our star player getting pushed around by a team of basketball midgets. This may be his easiest match-up in BE play and he scored 9 points and committed critical turnovers.

Wow, the Marquette Midgets; new mascot anyone?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:08:25 AM »
MU definitely has some players that don't look high major, i.e. Acker and Cubby.  Don't you have to be under 4'11" to qualify for midget status??...acker is close.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:26:21 AM »

-The guy from MKE who loves getting digs in at the MU crowd. Cracks me up. As someone who has been to a couple games at the Verizon Center, the GU crowd can't hold a candle to the atmosphere at the BC. Such sour grapes.

I will back this up.

The Verizon Center crowd has never impressed me.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:39:16 AM »
Couple things I loved from that thread:

-Complaints on MU's "unconscious" 3 pt shooting. MU shot 46% from 3, their season average is 42%. Barely above average.

I thought the crowd last night sucked for such a big game.

LON

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:56:40 AM »
I will back this up.

The Verizon Center crowd has never impressed me.

It was great last year...if you were an MU fan

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 09:56:55 AM »

I think you can partially thank the refs for that...they sucked the life right out of that game in the second half.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 09:57:10 AM »

The crowd didn't suck, it was just annoying according to one of the Hoya fans.

"Just got back from the game. Can I say I'm really, really tired of going to the Bradley Center for these? This was the fourth time the Hoyas have been here in MU's 5 years in the conference to only 2 MU visits to DC, and I'd argue that in every year except last season Georgetown was the better team. Tired of watching my guys lose while surrounded by the world's most annoying crowd."

Hilarious... some guy is whining about how the opposing fans cheered for their team in their own arena?  

So here's the new plan everyone... when Georgetown comes to Milwaukee next, make sure you cheer equally for both teams.  We don't want their fans thinking that we're not being hospitable.  ::)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

W

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:00:37 AM »
I am surprised they don't care to call it an upset.  I would rather be the dominant team who slipped for one night.  Seem rather sensitive about it.  Also surprised that we're "the world's most annoying crowd."  I have always thought that we were pretty reserved.

W

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »
They are also arguing a lot over whether this was an upset or not since MU was favored by 2.  Well the Trib is calling it an upset.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-07-marquette-basketball-jan07,0,4009548.story

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:05:32 AM by SaintPaulWarrior »

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 10:06:34 AM »
Maybe they're still bitter because the MU fans were louder than they were at the Verizon Center last year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »
They are also arguing a lot over whether this was an upset or not since MU was favored by 2.  Well the Trib is calling it an upset.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-07-marquette-basketball-jan07,0,4009548.story

Sorry folks, when an unranked team beats the #12 team in the nation, its an upset.

Don't let the boys in Vegas fool you.  There is a LOT more than goes into a line than 'who is better'.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 10:31:38 AM »
Sorry folks, when an unranked team beats the #12 team in the nation, its an upset.

Don't let the boys in Vegas fool you.  There is a LOT more than goes into a line than 'who is better'.

I disagree.  Vegas isn't stupid (except for the Cornell +21 last night, which I took full advantage of).  When you play a home game and are favored by 2 points, then you win by 3, it is simply not an upset.

Georgetown did not look like a #12 at all. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 10:33:51 AM »
  I disagree.  Vegas isn't stupid (except for the Cornell +21 last night, which I took full advantage of).  When you play a home game and are favored by 2 points, then you win by 3, it is simply not an upset.

Georgetown did not look like a #12 at all. 

you ignored what I said.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 10:36:22 AM »

Hards,

I never understood this.  The betting line is supply and demand but it is the BEST judge of who will win a game.  Not the rankings, Pomeroy, Sagarin, RPI, etc..  No one sends a check when they send their AP/USA votes in.  By the way, Marquette was favored in the Moneyline as well... and if people thought that didn't make sense, the supply and demand would push G'Town as the favorites.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »
Hards,

I never understood this.  The betting line is supply and demand but it is the BEST judge of who will win a game.  Not the rankings, Pomeroy, Sagarin, RPI, etc..  No one sends a check when they send their AP/USA votes in.  By the way, Marquette was favored in the Moneyline as well... and if people thought that didn't make sense, the supply and demand would push G'Town as the favorites.

no, you're wrong.  Supply and Demand is not the only thing that comes into play here. 

Why do you think big city teams in NYC, Chicago and LA have stranger lines?  More people from those cities, and they are more likely to bet on the home team rather than with their head.  This is offset in the lines as well.

As I said, much more goes into setting Vegas lines other than who is better.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »
I only watched the game on TV but the corwd did seem alittle reserved as based on crowd noise as heard over the tv broadcast.  much of that had to with the students being out i am sure.

lastly except for a half dozen games or so over the last 3-4 years the Mu crowd at times is too subdued.  it almost seems with a packed house in some of those big games especially when it is close the crowd appears nervous and is while not quit is definitely not raucous with what appears to be nervous apprehension.  You could hear the deafening crowd noise over the TV during GT's last 2 possesions but in acollege atmosphere given the way the game was it should have been like that for the last 5-10 minutes of the game every time GT touched the ball.  that has always been a pet peeve about Mu crowds.  Not loud enough often enough.  

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 10:46:40 AM »
  I think when you have the losses at the end of games like Marquette has this season I don't know if we could have recovered with another one so early in the conference schedule.

In my 4 years (2004 - 2008) it seemed as if we lost more games in the closing minutes than won, except Novak vs. Uconn comes to mind as a buzzer beater.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 10:53:13 AM »
a telling comment "I like Crean-less MQ more than Crean-full MQ. "

is it or is it not interesting the Tom Crean was almost universally hated by our opponents fanbase and Buzz Williams is almost universally either liked or admired? 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »
(Just a note .. the student section last night was pretty good.  Lower bowl was mostly filled.   Maybe I blacked out, but I swear in the 2nd half, there were a ton more upper deck students than in the 1st half.  The upper deck was maybe 1/3rd full.

Very good turnout for xmas-break.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »
I only watched the game on TV but the corwd did seem alittle reserved as based on crowd noise as heard over the tv broadcast.  much of that had to with the students being out i am sure.

lastly except for a half dozen games or so over the last 3-4 years the Mu crowd at times is too subdued.  it almost seems with a packed house in some of those big games especially when it is close the crowd appears nervous and is while not quit is definitely not raucous with what appears to be nervous apprehension.  You could hear the deafening crowd noise over the TV during GT's last 2 possesions but in acollege atmosphere given the way the game was it should have been like that for the last 5-10 minutes of the game every time GT touched the ball.  that has always been a pet peeve about Mu crowds.  Not loud enough often enough.  

My god the irony of this post is hilarious.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:09:46 AM by Strokin 3s »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »

Crowd was definitely reserved last night...I got the distinct feeling people were waiting for another missed free throw/G'town miracle shot. You're right about the last couple possessions...people were screaming and at the final buzzer there was a real sense of jubilation in there. It was great.

I also think that the crowd is still getting to know these players and, I don't know why, but it makes a difference. Last year, we had 4 seniors and a junior in the starting lineup. It just seems to me that people were a little bit more invested in the guys they'd been watching for so long.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 11:21:47 AM »
Hards,

I think what he is getting at is that the goal of bookies is to get people to bet 50/50, not to get it right.  As long as the public sides 50/50 vegas can't lose.  I may be butchering his point but...
Two big factors that comes into play when you have a team that either:
A: is a team that has a ton of fans who will bet it even if they set the spread a few points to high.
This is often happens with all new york teams, the cowboys, cubs, lakers and ND football.  (don't think this would be involved but if it would was GT has better name recognition and is ranked.)
B: a team that is vastly overrated by the public due to recent success.
This is often a result of a recent big win by a team who had a good week after previous mediocre ones, this team may have the spread start out a few points higher than what Vegas actually thinks will happen.

Now MU's recent 2 losses got a lot of play time on sports center the last week and a half. That very well could have had Vegas bookies suspecting that before this game people would be walking around talking about how MU was a better team than anyone realized and caused them to add another point or two on to the spread.
We also haven't mentioned taking homecourt advantage into account.  A 2 point advantage at home means we'd be a dog on a neutral court.  I think there national TV announcers gushing about how tough it is to play may finally be having an effect.

Dienerfor3

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 11:22:42 AM »
  I think when you have the losses at the end of games like Marquette has this season I don't know if we could have recovered with another one so early in the conference schedule.

In my 4 years (2004 - 2008) it seemed as if we lost more games in the closing minutes than won, except Novak vs. Uconn comes to mind as a buzzer beater.
From what I remember, the Novak buzzer-beater was vs. ND. UConn was where he dropped 41 and we won pretty handedly.  

feedback