Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Williams: Why are You Playing Acker and Cubi at the same Time?  (Read 6054 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Williams: Why are You Playing Acker and Cubi at the same Time?
« on: January 02, 2010, 03:24:25 PM »
What a moron. Why is Acker playing at all? His man he has been guarding had 10 in the first half.

Absolutely ridiculous to be playing two guys at 5'9" at the same time.

DJO should be in there--2 fouls or not!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Williams: Why are You Playing Acker and Cubi at the same Time?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »
I don't want DJO getting three fouls.  Cubi can't hit a shot, but I'd rather see DJO in looking in the second half to give us the best shot....I'm sure we all know he probably would have picked up a 3rd foul if he played any longer

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 03:32:01 PM »
I am at the game.  After the TO before half, Acker's man had dusted him at his own free throw line.  Fulce has made 3 or 4 hustle plays in the short time on the floor.  I don't understand why he doesn't play more.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »
What a moron. Why is Acker playing at all? His man he has been guarding had 10 in the first half.

Absolutely ridiculous to be playing two guys at 5'9" at the same time.

DJO should be in there--2 fouls or not!

They have four guards.  If it's ridiculous to play Acker and Coobie at the same time, you'd have to play DJO and DB all game against a team like Nova.  Not to mention I was thrilled to see MU get to half with Lazar and DJO not picking up their third fouls.  I have sympathy for Buzz when it comes to this situation...he was dealt a bad hand.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
I am at the game.  After the TO before half, Acker's man had dusted him at his own free throw line.  Fulce has made 3 or 4 hustle plays in the short time on the floor.  I don't understand why he doesn't play more.

They aren't playing Fulce more because Nova is running a four-guard offense and Fulce can't match up with anyone.  MU has been running three guards most of the day.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 03:54:43 PM »
DJO's put us in a huge bind w/2 boneheaded plays this half.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 08:02:40 PM »
His options are what exactly?   7 player rotation, 4 guards, 3 forwards.      They all have to play.    Just because Acker can't guard Murf doesn't mean we shouln't play him.   Our next best option is Frozen A.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:12:48 PM »
sorry to say but Buzz has no other choice.  When DJO got his 4th  who do you suggest he play?  I completely agree that MO Acker just kills us when he is in the game.

No D--he didn't stop anybody all game
No O--his shot selection is just plane awful.  See end to first half as an example and his end of the 2nd when Bykes was wide open on the side for more confirmation.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 10:13:46 PM »
Afraid to say it, but Buzz has no clue. Why can't Fulce play instead of Acker?

And please spare me that Acker plays better D.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »

OK, did you see the very beginning of the game?  When Nova put on the press and we had two quick turnovers?  It's because we only had two guards on the floor.  They took out Fulce and put in DJO and we went on a run.

I've said it before, Mo is severely limited.  But we need him.  He is a very good ball handler and a decent passer for his size.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 10:21:31 PM »
I thought Coobs played a helluva game!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:35:30 PM »
DJO was probably at a 50% effective level.
Buycks was probably at a 65% level.

Neither dealt with the press or pressure really well. DJO had mental lapses and Buycks would get caught dribbling and/or holding onto the ball for too long. They really cost MU some possessions.

At least with MoAck and Coobs - though I hate to say it - MU had a better chance at taking care of the ball and having a better possession.
SS Marquette

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 12:09:20 AM »

Yeah Buzz has no clue, spot on assessment!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 01:46:39 AM »

I don't think you have any liberty for saying someone doesn't have a clue.  By virtue of your very statement, that Buzz has no clue - you clearly evidence that you yourself have no clue.  What do you expect Buzz Williams to do better than he has done?  We've taken two, Top 10 programs to the wire, and probably should have won at least one of the 2....with a roster that is 7 deep.  Where would we be without Butler/Buycks/DJO..his 3 primary recruits from last year?  Keep in mind his starting center, and point guard (Cadugoan) are out with injuries.  Buzz has MU back to back Top 20 national recruiting classes for the first time since the days of Al McGuire...and you have the audacity to say he has no clue??  Amazing.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 01:54:45 AM »
At least with MoAck and Coobs - though I hate to say it - MU had a better chance at taking care of the ball and having a better possession.

Champs is right - Nova's press would have killed us if not for these two guys.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 03:19:43 AM »
It seems Buzz doesn't feel that we can handle an attacking defense without Acker and/or Cubillan running the offense. And it is clear that they bring more maturity to our game. However, it is also apparent that neither Acker nor Cubes are capable of stopping penetration. And to date our help defense is not doing the job.

I feel confidant that Buycks and DJO will play their way into the starting lineup as the season progresses. As soon as they begin to play like they've been there before, their skills advantage will make it difficult to ignore.
Players win awards but teams win championships

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 08:03:57 AM »
However, it is also apparent that neither Acker nor Cubes are capable of stopping penetration. And to date our help defense is not doing the job.

I think Cubes is at least decent in stopping penetration.  Acker is helpless in this regard.  It's too bad we don't have a shot blocker to protect those guys.  I thought Cubillan played a very solid game yesterday (but he is not a PG), and Acker was OK on offense, wretched on D.  Bottom line, we needed to play 3 guards yesterday to avoid thier pressure, and since we only have 4, Cubillan and Acker needed to play together while we rested DJO or Buycks.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 08:35:22 AM »
The OP clearly did not watch Joe Fulce "play defense".

I'm not sure that is even what you could call it, anyway.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 09:02:24 AM »
It seems Buzz doesn't feel that we can handle an attacking defense without Acker and/or Cubillan running the offense. And it is clear that they bring more maturity to our game. However, it is also apparent that neither Acker nor Cubes are capable of stopping penetration. And to date our help defense is not doing the job.

I feel confidant that Buycks and DJO will play their way into the starting lineup as the season progresses. As soon as they begin to play like they've been there before, their skills advantage will make it difficult to ignore.

But see against a team like Nova, you basically need three guards on the floor if they press you.  It really doesn't matter who starts because you are going to be cycling your four guards over three positions most of the game.  If JC weren't hurt this wouldn't be a problem, and you would likely see less press anyway because I'm convinced that Wright put the press on simply because he knew we had a short bench.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 09:34:10 AM »

But see against a team like Nova, you basically need three guards on the floor if they press you.  It really doesn't matter who starts because you are going to be cycling your four guards over three positions most of the game.  If JC weren't hurt this wouldn't be a problem, and you would likely see less press anyway because I'm convinced that Wright put the press on simply because he knew we had a short bench.

You really don't need 3 guards to break a press. In fact a forward with decent ball handling skills is often the best method. Presses are beat with good passers and proper spacing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 09:43:32 AM »
Good call.   And since we have a stable of forwards with ballhandling skills......oh, wait.....nevermind. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 11:48:42 AM »
When you call Buzz a "moron" who has "no clue," you and your opinions lose all credibility. I'm pretty sure a Div. 1 head coach knows a hell of a lot lot more about the game than the average fan.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 12:28:52 PM »
You really don't need 3 guards to break a press. In fact a forward with decent ball handling skills is often the best method. Presses are beat with good passers and proper spacing.

And our forward with "decent ball handling skills" is???

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »

He left the team. ;)
SS Marquette

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 11:07:09 PM »

Butler and Hayward.

feedback