Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: IU just got worse  (Read 9506 times)

brewnewsman

• Scholarship Player
IU just got worse
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:39:51 AM »
Per espn: Indiana freshman G Maurice Creek (17.6 ppg) expected to miss rest of season with fractured knee

mugrad99

• Team Captain
WARNING-GRAPHIC PICTURE
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:00:43 AM »
From Inside the Hall

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: IU just got worse
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:34:13 AM »
Did he trip over a tackling dummy or something?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:35:39 AM »
Caption from #32:

"Coach Crean is going to be so pissed, he's going to blame your knee for everything that does wrong this year."

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
Tough break (pun).

Creek would've looked great in the Bradley Center.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 09:50:52 AM »
"This is going to make it tougher for you to transfer."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 11:32:29 AM »
Did he trip over a tackling dummy or something?

I think they were following that new book:  "How to Avoid In-Season Injuries" by Buzz Williams.   With a special forward section by Joseph Fulce, Chris Otule, Junior Cadougan and Dominic James.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 11:38:03 AM »
I think they were following that new book:  "How to Avoid In-Season Injuries" by Buzz Williams.

It appears the apprentice has become the master.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »
Was he good enough to be a one and done? 

The TC jokes (and Chico's never ending quest to stick up for the jerk, who most don't argue did plenty for MU) are funny, but I feel terrible for the kid.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 12:57:14 PM »
Joe Fulce?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 01:04:08 PM »
Nike: "It's the shoes!"

That's nasty (not in the Derrick Rowland way)!

I'm sure Crean will be scouring the football team for some replacements.

For those interested in watching from afar: http://indiana.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=942&fid=726

From ESPN:
Indiana star guard Maurice Creek fractured his left knee during Monday night's 48-point rout of Bryant, according to Coach Tom Crean, and the team's leading scorer is scheduled to undergo surgery tomorrow that could end his fine freshman season.

Creek was fouled while spinning in for a layup attempt that left him grabbing his knee, and in front of stunned onlookers at Assembly Hall, he was eventually taken off the floor in a stretcher.

Creek entered the game averaging 17.6 points per game and shooting about 45 percent from three-point range.

"It's gut-wrenching in so many fronts when you see a young man like that go down, who works as hard as he does," Crean told reporters.

From InsideTheHall:
“I’ll start with an update on Maurice (Creek), he has a fracture of his left knee and will have surgery tomorrow. I am in the process of getting his parents here so they can be here for the surgery. I don’t have many more updates than that. He is a very, very special young man. It’s gut-wrenching in so many fronts when you see a young man like that go down, who works as hard as he does. It’s a little different for us as the Crean’s and for the coaches because he was probably going to be with us where ever we were at, whether it was Marquette or here at Indiana.”

“For him to come with us here sight unseen, and commit four months before he ever saw the campus, that’s a special young man from a special family. Obviously our number one concern is that everything goes well throughout that surgery and I have great confidence that it will. I told the players this is one of the reasons that you come to Indiana that you hope you never have to use – the professional care that you get when you come to a school like Indiana. With the resources that we have here, it’s tremendous. He is in great hands there.”

“Our team certainly feels for him. They had a very good performance tonight. They did a lot of really good things. Obviously we are playing a team that is going through growing pains and doesn’t have a great record, but when you hold a team to 25 percent from the field, and 18 percent from the three-point line, it’s really about what your team is doing. We needed to have a game like that and we had a game like that. More importantly than that, they really, really feel for their teammate, and as a coach you hate to ever see anyone go through that. But also as a coach and a leader of the program, you know that you have a program on the right path, when they care that way about their teammate. They are going to have to mature.”

“I was asked a question from John Laskowski, what the difference going into the Big Ten, and I said, well the biggest fear is the maturity you have to have moving forward and now that maturity is going to get tested even more. Not just because he’s the third-leading scoring freshman in the country, but because Maurice Creek on the court brings confidence because of his athleticism, talent, and his ability to score. That’s what great players do, they bring confidence to their teammates. Now, we are going to have to find confidence from one another. We will have to continue to find that confidence from our crowd. They are stunned right now, but then they are going to be stung. We said to the team, in football they talk about next man up and it’s not a situation here where one individual is going to come in and get 18 points a game, everybody has to do more and that’s the bottom line.”
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:42:19 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 01:11:28 PM »
Ready made excuse for the Tanned One

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »
If I had a dollar for everythime Tommy Naismith said " I dont like to make excuses but...."  and anyone ever notice that everytime he missed out on a recruit some other coach was doing something fishy?   he is at his best now and it is really coming in handy for him especially with this years bomb of a recruiting class he has coming in. 

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
I told the players this is one of the reasons that you come to Indiana that you hope you never have to use – the professional care that you get when you come to a school like Indiana. With the resources that we have here, it’s tremendous. He is in great hands there.

Am I the only one that read that and thought, "The rest of the US had third world healthcare?" 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
I know some pretty good orthopedists right here in country bumpkin Wisconsin who don't have to take a back seat to anyone in Bloomington.
This dude gets weirder by the day.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 01:54:13 PM »
I think they were following that new book:  "How to Avoid In-Season Injuries" by Buzz Williams.   With a special forward section by Joseph Fulce, Chris Otule, Junior Cadougan and Dominic James.

2004-2005 - Travis Diener career ending wrist injury
2005-2006 - Wes Matthews missed end of OOC play and begining of BE play with foot injury
2006-2007 - Jerel McNeal season ending wrist injury
2007-2008 - Trevor Mbakwe missed 2/3 of season with leg injury

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 01:54:20 PM »
Come on now, lets have a little compassion.  the tone of this thread is rally tacky.  This is a about a young man Maurice Creek, not about a former MU coach.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
Am I the only one that read that and thought, "The rest of the US had third world healthcare?" 

I read it and it explained his spotty recruiting.

"Come to Indiana and when you blow your knee out we'll fly your parents in to hold your hand. And our doctors speak English!"

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 02:11:06 PM »
Come on now, lets have a little compassion.  the tone of this thread is rally tacky.  This is a about a young man Maurice Creek, not about a former MU coach.

True that.

But when the golden boy speaks...watch out!

Hope Creek recovers! (Cuz Indy's going to need him.)
Paging Nick Williams....Nick Williams...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:52:42 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »
I told the players this is one of the reasons that you come to Indiana that you hope you never have to use – the professional care that you get when you come to a school like Indiana. With the resources that we have here, it’s tremendous. He is in great hands there.”

Explain this, Tommy... why then is IU's School of Medicine on IUPUI's campus?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Explain this, Tommy... why then is IU's School of Medicine on IUPUI's campus?

I was going to post that myself, but left it out.

The IU Medical Center is first rate, but touting that as a reason to attend a school for an athlete in case of injury is beyond me.

"Come to IU where we'll transfer you to a hospital an hour away for your medical needs!!!"

I hope Creek is able to recover in short order, and can resume his basketball endeavours without any aftereffects of the injury.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 03:22:46 PM by lurch91 »

GOO

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 02:54:47 PM »
This thread reflects poorly on us, in my opinion, as if any one cares. 

The kid is in a lot of pain and MAY never fully recover from this.  If Fulce only had a hairline fracture, then this kid has a long way to go to getting back to near 100%.  I hope he can do it, but it is not 100% that he can.  From potential NBAer to maybe not being able to compete at the high D-1 level... let's have some compassion for the kid.  It would be bad enough if it happened to anyone, but for an athlete, it has to be much, much worse to go through.

On a side note, the reaction by the other players reminds me of what not to do when someone is injured. It is like the guy who stops on the side of the highway and sees a messed up bloody scene, and says to the injured guy "man, you are one messed up dude, you look really bad...."  instead of, "it doens't look to bad, you'll be okay..."  If you can't at least not looked shocked and can't help, at least don't make it worse by hovering over and pointing, etc.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 03:07:18 PM »
1) He'll recover. But he may not be the same player.
2) The internet/distance makes us feels less compassionate. I do earnestly wish him a full recovery, and I'm sure others here also do.

Speaking of which... a Freudian slip?

"IU was up by 36 at the time but even though there was a crowd of 11,138 on hand the arena was about as quiet as could be. All eyes were on Creek and he sat there holding on to his leg as medical personnel, teammates and Tom Crean stood by. Eventually they tried to get him to his feet, but it was clear he was in too much pain to move the leg. Athletic trainer Tim Garl was basically holding his knee in place as his teammates tried to lift him up. Eventually, Crean asked one of the support personnel over near the hallway that leads to the IU locker room to get a stretcher on wheels. Momemts later the stretcher came out and Crean was lifted on to it. He left to a loud ovation with his leg stretched out on the stretcher bed."

I crap you not. http://blogs.indystar.com/hoosiersinsider/archives/2009/12/creek_done_for.html
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 03:42:50 PM »
That, begs the question; Why was the starting player still in the game with a 36 point lead?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 03:48:07 PM »
That, begs the question; Why was the starting player still in the game with a 36 point lead?

And was it the biggest crowd to watch a college basketball game in the history of the state of Indiana?