[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Belling is using this board against MU  (Read 24003 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Belling is using this board against MU
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2009, 08:34:11 AM »
Show me a message board that doesn't criticize a kid for quitting the team after 10 games.

This is all nonsense!! The guy quit the team!

I don't think there is anything wrong with being disappointed that Maymon quit, and expressing that feeling.

But, some of the speculation here has gone as far as analyzing the relationship with his father, questioning his work ethic, saying things like "He can go play for X small school, MU doesn't need him", etc. etc.

I'm not saying it's not ok to speculate, but maybe that type of maymon chatter is better kept between friends over a beer rather than posted on a message board for the world to read.

Just sayin'.

Edit: Grammar + spelling... typed too fast the first time.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:14:33 AM by 2002mualum »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2009, 08:38:36 AM »
So end the hypocrisy.   If it is ok for us to go bat$h!t crazy over this, let go of the air of superiority we showed when the BADger boards went to town on Blue.     Either it is ok or it isn't.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2009, 09:01:20 AM »
So end the hypocrisy.   If it is ok for us to go bat$h!t crazy over this, let go of the air of superiority we showed when the BADger boards went to town on Blue.     Either it is ok or it isn't.   

Fair enough:  I HEARBY CALL AN END TO THE HYPOCRISY!

bma725

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »
Show me a message board that doesn't criticize a kid for quitting the team after 10 games.

This is all nonsense!! The guy quit the team!

Show me a message board for a big time program where the moderators don't kill the threads with disparaging remarks about the kid and his family.

The kid quitting the team isn't reason enough to trash him and his family.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2009, 09:13:37 AM »
I apologize for hyperbole in the title of this thread.

It should read:  Belling is practically using this board against MU.  I did not mean to imply Belling reads this board.  Many points he made I had read on the board. 

Sorry.

This should be no suprise. Belling has been anti MU for years.  I think this began when Fr. DiUlio tried to shut down Wisconsin Ave.  It could be his inferiority complex, having attended a "STATE SCHOOL"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2009, 09:16:36 AM »
His board is gentler and kinder than virtually all others. Recruits select schools based on a number of more pertinent concerns to them rather than whether the posting fanbase is bunch of goofs.
Furthermore, when one is receiving a 160k opportunity and isn't making the most of it, he deserves to get ripped.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2009, 09:27:59 AM »
Every single major recruit in the country has someone checking the message boards of their prospective schools.  Whether they do it themselves, or their parents/relatives, friends, coaches, teachers...someone is reading the boards to try to gauge the fanbase of the school.  They want to see how we talk about our players, how we talk about our coaches, how we talk about recruits.  They want to see whether players get ripped after bad games, they want to see how much support players get after good games.  You can pretty much guarantee that someone close to a recruit is logging into these sites every day to see what we say and how we say it.

Whether or not something like a message board should factor into a kid's college decision is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is it does.
In the past year alone MU has been involved in the recruitment of at least three if not more players that either committed to a school or chose not to commit to a school either in part or wholly because of comments on a message board.

You can complain about it all you want or deny it all you want but to do so is to be ignorant.  The reality is that what is said on message boards has an effect on the program, whether you want it to or not.

With all due respect, this is some pretty unprovable speculation and conjecture here. While there certainly has been some anecdotal evidence of players and/or their family members checking out message board, it is just that: a bunch of anecdotes. Certainly not evidence that "every single major recruit" in the nation does it.
Taking it a step furher, what is even less clear is that factors in a kid's decision. There have been a few, very rare instances in which a player has mentioned something of the sort as a small factor in his decision, but it's hardly been cited widely and almost never as an important factor.

I wholly agree with the concept that we here should be civil towards players/former players/recruits/parents, etc..
But let's not overstate our importance. On a list of factors that weigh into a recruit's decision, the tenor of message boards likely falls somewhere between "quality of half-time entertainment" and "campus commitment to recycling."

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2009, 09:52:37 AM »
Look guys... I follow a major SEC football team's recruiting far more closely than I follow MU basketball recruiting and I can support BMA's point that recruits, parents, and coaches read the message board.  In fact, one of the top OL in the country committed to my school and one of the things he mentioned was what he and his dad read the message boards to see how the fans reacted after games.  Another kid decommitted from a rival because of what his coach read on a message board about the kid.  I can't even count the number of times i've read articles about recruits and they mention how they read the message boards.

Are message boards the only reason a kid commits to a school... of course not!  But don't think they don't impact a young man's decision.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »
In fact, one of the top OL in the country committed to my school and one of the things he mentioned was what he and his dad read the message boards to see how the fans reacted after games.  Another kid decommitted from a rival because of what his coach read on a message board about the kid. 

Links?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2009, 10:11:42 AM »
welcome to the 21st Century.

... or is it 1984?

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »
Links?

The specific players i'm referencing in order are:

1) Austin Long (2009) - his dad is actually a head coach in TN and is now a semi-regular poster on ugasports.com.  His other son is a big time OL prospect.
2) Jawuan James decommitted from Bama because of "questions" arising from message board speculation about potential Bama recruiting infractions.
3) Jakar Hamilton (2010), Alex Ogeltree (2010), Branden Smith (2009) all have commented they read the message boards as recruits.  This is not even mentioning the current players who twitter reactions to specific posters!

Go do your research... it'll cost you about $120 per site (rivals - ugasports.com & scout - dawgpost.com) to get access to the premium content. ;D

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2009, 10:58:48 AM »
The specific players i'm referencing in order are:

1) Austin Long (2009) - his dad is actually a head coach in TN and is now a semi-regular poster on ugasports.com.  His other son is a big time OL prospect.
2) Jawuan James decommitted from Bama because of "questions" arising from message board speculation about potential Bama recruiting infractions.
3) Jakar Hamilton (2010), Alex Ogeltree (2010), Branden Smith (2009) all have commented they read the message boards as recruits.  This is not even mentioning the current players who twitter reactions to specific posters!

Go do your research... it'll cost you about $120 per site (rivals - ugasports.com & scout - dawgpost.com) to get access to the premium content. ;D

Why would I do your research, much less pay to do your research. You stated as fact that a major recruit de-committed because of something he read on a message board. If this were true, surely it would have been written about in a real publication, don't you think?

Here's such a story about James' de-commitment and, lo and behold, not a single word from the young man about message boards.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2009/09/29/ex-bama-commit-james-opens-up-about-opening-up-recruitment/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

And, in another interview with his high school coach, they cite a well-publicized text-book issue at Bama as the reason for his de-commitment. One hardly would have had to visit a message board to learn about that.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2009/09/14/bamas-ncaa-troubles-a-concern-for-north-gwinnetts-james/

I do find it a bit ironic, though, that the kid who claims he was so worried about probation at Alabama ended up committing to Tennessee.

LON

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2009, 11:01:29 AM »
Why would I do your research, much less pay to do your research. You stated as fact that a major recruit de-committed because of something he read on a message board. If this were true, surely it would have been written about in a real publication, don't you think?

Here's such a story about James' de-commitment and, lo and behold, not a single word from the young man about message boards.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2009/09/29/ex-bama-commit-james-opens-up-about-opening-up-recruitment/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

And, in another interview with his high school coach, they cite a well-publicized text-book issue at Bama as the reason for his de-commitment. One hardly would have had to visit a message board to learn about that.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2009/09/14/bamas-ncaa-troubles-a-concern-for-north-gwinnetts-james/

I do find it a bit ironic, though, that the kid who claims he was so worried about probation at Alabama ended up committing to Tennessee.

Maybe he thought TENN's "hostesses" >>>>> Alabama's "hostesses"

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2009, 11:18:47 AM »

Seriously dude?!?!  You reference the AJC blogs as a resource for football recruiting info... LMAO!!  You have no idea how little creditibilty that gives you.  Go check out the premium boards or talk to an SEC recruit-nik if you want the real scoop of went down.  I provided the names of three players who all were impacted by comments from a message board. Don't try to discredit me or detract from the main argument on this thread... RECRUITS READ THE MESSAGE BOARDS! 

Also, please re-read my post... I said it was his coach that read about the rumored violations LONG before they became public knowledge and this was relayed to Jawuan which led to his "questions" about Bama.  For what it's worth, he also now has questions about his Tenn commitment because of the hostess fiasco.

Instead of trying to discredit me, why don't you just accept the fact that some recruits read these message boards and it may have an impact on their decisions.  If it impacts one potential MU recruit, that's one too many in my book.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2009, 11:21:08 AM »
Recruits select schools based on a number of more pertinent concerns to them rather than whether the posting fanbase is bunch of goofs.

are you sure about this? i have read here recently that every blue chip recruit weighs heavily the random anonymous postings of fanatics in their college selection decision. I know for a fact that Al used to tell Hank, "Someday Al Gore is gonna invent the internet and then we won't be able to wait until the last minute to swoop in and sign an aircraft carrier..."

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »
I don't care if recruits read this message board. How's that?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2009, 11:25:02 AM »
Maybe he thought TENN's "hostesses" >>>>> Alabama's "hostesses"

This is an excellent point. Perhaps our inability to sign a purpose built, combat ready big man has something to do with our Hostess Squad. Where do we stand vis-a-vis other Big East Hostess Units? Do we have a Hostess Gap with Georgetown or Syracuse? In fact, where is the link on the MU website to our Hostess Team?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »
I don't care if recruits read this message board. How's that?

Honestly, I am not far from having this opinion.  I care...very little...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »
This is an excellent point. Perhaps our inability to sign a purpose built, combat reday big man has something to do with our Hostess Squad. Where do we stand vis-a-vios other Big East Hostess Units? Do we have a Hostess Gap with Georgetown or Syracuse? In fact, where is the link on the MU website to our Hostess Team?

Unfortunately, for many Marquette women, this the closest thing they get to a hostess team.

http://www.hostesscakes.com/

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2009, 11:36:24 AM »
Gentlemen

I think we have identified a serious problem with our recruiting posture - the apparent lack of a dedicated Marquette University Hostess Squad. Is Buzz aware of this? Is Fr Wild aware of this? I submit this might be a factor in the numerous transfers we have had, not just Maymon, but all the others over the years. How can we compete with Bruce Pearl when he has a world class Hostess Team? If we aspire to elite status we need to have the gear required for such ambitions.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »

Seriously....that's the best analogy you could come up with?

I do think many of us here are acting with a clear lack of perspective with the whole Maymon situation.  I have no problem questioning why he is leaving and the apparent foolishness of his father, but our over the top insults about his grades and his game, and culminating with the posting of court records shows how bad we can be.

And yeah, I can see how this could turn off not only Vander Blue but other potential recruits as well.

The point of the analogy was to be rediculous, just as the thought Blue will decommit based on OUR posts.  He may ask for release from scholarship because his friend left and he is now skeptical but it won't be because of what's posted on this board.  Let's see what Buzz says today.  Maybe we will get the story.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »
This is an excellent point. Perhaps our inability to sign a purpose built, combat ready big man has something to do with our Hostess Squad. Where do we stand vis-a-vis other Big East Hostess Units? Do we have a Hostess Gap with Georgetown or Syracuse? In fact, where is the link on the MU website to our Hostess Team?

Not sure about the rest of the big east but here's two things to love... bruce pearl and boobies aka UT hostesses!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:43:03 AM by LastWarrior »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »
The point of the analogy was to be rediculous, just as the thought Blue will decommit based on OUR posts.  He may ask for release from scholarship because his friend left and he is now skeptical but it won't be because of what's posted on this board.  Let's see what Buzz says today.  Maybe we will get the story.

You're new so I'll just link you to why Blue decommitted from UW@Madison instead of being a jerk to you for saying stupid things before you're even 10 posts deep into this forum.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »
Let's see what Buzz says today.  Maybe we will get the story.

Not bloody likely. We stand to get more insight from Tim Maymon. Not a slam against Buzz but the politcal will to be straight isn't there. Maymon's version will be slanted obviously, but he will offer details that Buzz never will.

LON

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2009, 11:43:55 AM »
Not sure about the rest of the big east but here's two things to love... bruce pearl and boobies aka UT hostesses!

Reasons 1, 2, and 3 to go to TENN

Reason 4 to lock up your daughter around TENN, Pearl gets grabby

feedback