Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can E-Will step it up?  (Read 4215 times)

avid1010

• All American
Can E-Will step it up?
« on: December 16, 2009, 12:18:22 PM »
Would be a great side story this year if E-Will could take J-May's minutes and capitalize on them.  Makes me appreciate a top 100 kid that comes in, works his tail off, doesn't get a ton of minutes but keeps his mouth shut and works hard, and at the end of the year ends up on top. 

lab_warrior

• All American
Re: Can E-Will step it up?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:20:35 PM »
I believe he can average 4 points, and 6-7 rebounds in 16 minutes per game, no problem.  As long as he can replace what Maymon is leaving with, I'd be happy.  I'm not so sure he'll do better than that.  He seems freakishly athletic.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »
From what I have seen to this point Ewill lacks Jerrons bulk and strength and is possibly a little behind on knowing where to be on both sides of the court, but that is a small issue.  Jerrone was playing where he was because he had the bulk and strength to help out under neath. Ewill cannot replace that today.

With that being said.  From watching the last 10 games Ewill is fabulously more gifted offensively and athletically than Jerrone.  I truly beleive a summer in the weight room and he would have been better than Jerrone next year.  His length is amazing, Has some great hops and a nice nose for the ball he has had some nice rebounds and putbacks in traffic.  Not to kick a guy when he is down but Jerrone fumbled or never got up to many of those rebounds that Eric gets to and his lack of length and the vertical of a church leaguer usually resulted in the rebounds that he did get getting swatted or missed.

But for this year we will be weaker with Eric in there instaed of Jmay.  That is fine with me throw Ewill to the wolves and he will be all the btter for it.  reward his hard work and motivate a kid that wants to be here to work his butt off over the summer to be ready to roll next year.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 12:52:37 PM »
much is expected
but fairness must guide our thoughts
let the young man grow

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »
every tall oak
started out as an acorn
let the sapling grow
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:35:28 PM by warthog-driver »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »
Prediction: Give him Maymon's minutes and you'll wonder why he didn't get those in the first place.  Probably because it would have been obvious who the better player is and Maymon would have been out even sooner.  He's going to make some mistakes but he's quicker, more agile, and the other players seem to love watching him succeed instead of watching Maymon pout.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »
Ah jilted lovers
Believe the next is better
Only to disappoint

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 01:50:59 PM »
Ah jilted lovers
Believe the next is better
Only to disappoint

the girl down the street
looks so much better than mine
false advertising?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »
Good stuff Warthog-Driver.  Keep it coming. 

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 03:16:42 PM »
From what I have seen to this point Ewill lacks Jerrons bulk and strength and is possibly a little behind on knowing where to be on both sides of the court, but that is a small issue.  Jerrone was playing where he was because he had the bulk and strength to help out under neath. Ewill cannot replace that today.

With that being said.  From watching the last 10 games Ewill is fabulously more gifted offensively and athletically than Jerrone.  I truly beleive a summer in the weight room and he would have been better than Jerrone next year.  His length is amazing, Has some great hops and a nice nose for the ball he has had some nice rebounds and putbacks in traffic.  Not to kick a guy when he is down but Jerrone fumbled or never got up to many of those rebounds that Eric gets to and his lack of length and the vertical of a church leaguer usually resulted in the rebounds that he did get getting swatted or missed.

But for this year we will be weaker with Eric in there instaed of Jmay.  That is fine with me throw Ewill to the wolves and he will be all the btter for it.  reward his hard work and motivate a kid that wants to be here to work his butt off over the summer to be ready to roll next year.

I think it is very likely that E Will takes on JM's minutes, and I think he'll do fine. But it will likely mean, also, that Lazar and Jimmy will be forced to play the 5 more often; desirable when Lazar can be useful from the outside and Jimmy is becoming decent slasher. More, on defense they'll be forced to guard the opponent's 5, a challenge for them. They can do it, but the more energy they need to expend on defense, the more tired and perhaps less effective they might be on offense. Look at the FSU game.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
Mug644 is dead on.  I would add that we may see more offensive rebounds by the opposition, as JM could get and hold position on defense and box out.  Even if he didn't get the rebound, it allows other to get the board.  EWill, even with the lenght and long arms, will have problems on D and boxing out big guys who over power him.  EWill will get some boards due to his hops an long arms, however, especially on the offensive end.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 03:48:32 PM »
Would be a great side story this year if E-Will could take J-May's minutes and capitalize on them.  Makes me appreciate a top 100 kid that comes in, works his tail off, doesn't get a ton of minutes but keeps his mouth shut and works hard, and at the end of the year ends up on top. 

I have a feeling that E-Will will become this freshman classes Lazar Hayward, works his arse off and becomes a true Warrior and team leader (instead of someone looking to be anointed the team leader).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 04:05:30 PM »
I have a feeling that E-Will will become this freshman classes Lazar Hayward, works his arse off and becomes a true Warrior and team leader (instead of someone looking to be anointed the team leader).

Why?  What leads anyone to believe that this is the case?  He is indeed highly ranked, but Buzz says that he has a lot to work out.  Outside of pure wishful thinking, I see no evidence that he will be this year's Lazar Hayward.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 04:24:14 PM »
Out of the shadows
Comes forth the mystery man
Success or failure?

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:06 PM »
dark days at the Al
a savior hails from texas
but can he rebound?

MrRivals150

• Scholarship Player
  • MARQ bball, the real bball team of the state
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »
Hopefully Erik Williams can turn out like a guy in Top100 of his class and from Texas, instead of the Erik Williams from Tosa East who is at UW-Superior.
Clay for Heisman 2010, Buzz for Recruiter of the year

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 05:03:50 PM »
An open slot
uniform advances
a ball caroms down

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 05:56:22 PM »
I'd be way more pissed off at Warthog if his haiku's weren't so freaking funny...

That being said...some other posters should probably pump the breaks on the poetry and stick to prose.

As for the E-Will issue, I am hesitant to think that he is going to come out and overwhelm us with the ability that has been "hiding" on the bench.  I don't see him as a significant upgrade, but the playing time can only help and if nothing else, will make him a better player next year.

Also, does it seem like post-departure a lot of people have changed their tone on Maymon?  It seemed like last weekend it was "he's struggling but he will get better," or "this kid will be a beast some day" to "he sucks anyways" and "it's not like he was ever going to amount to much"

Just an observation.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 07:50:09 PM »
I'd be way more pissed off at Warthog if his haiku's weren't so freaking funny...

That being said...some other posters should probably pump the breaks on the poetry and stick to prose.

As for the E-Will issue, I am hesitant to think that he is going to come out and overwhelm us with the ability that has been "hiding" on the bench.  I don't see him as a significant upgrade, but the playing time can only help and if nothing else, will make him a better player next year.

Also, does it seem like post-departure a lot of people have changed their tone on Maymon?  It seemed like last weekend it was "he's struggling but he will get better," or "this kid will be a beast some day" to "he sucks anyways" and "it's not like he was ever going to amount to much"

Just an observation.

That's when we thought he was working hard in practice.  But it turns out he's lazy and isn't willing to work fon his game.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 08:06:16 PM »

Just an observation.

I was about to mention the same.

and Lurch91, who says that?  Outside of PURE speculation by a few here, no one has said that.

feedback