collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:20:49 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kyle McAlarney's OTL - Did anyone catch it?  (Read 6049 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Kyle McAlarney's OTL - Did anyone catch it?
« on: December 13, 2009, 10:27:04 AM »
Here's the promo:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4706767

I thought it was junk. The larger scope of the dying breed that is the white American NBA player was worthy of mention, but using McAlarney's story as a vehicle was uninspiring and pitiless.

Funny how Travis is in the League and Kyle - though much like Diener in many ways and saying he deservedly belongs - isn't.
SS Marquette

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Kyle McAlarney's OTL - Did anyone catch it?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 11:38:11 AM »
Being a sub 6' PG averaging 3.5 assists for a team that went 17-13 probably didn't help his case as NBA ready.

And I never remember thinking "Oooh, look out for McAlarney!"  Sure, "Don't leave him open," but I was never afraid of facing him.  In fact, it's worth mentioning that Dominic took his lunch money last year.  3-12 overall, 1-6 behind the arc.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »
The statistics of the NBA's makeup were interesting, but Kylie as the poster boy for 'the poor white american kids that are prejudged' doesn't work for me.  5'11" kid that led his team to a disappointing year in his senior season despite having a 'stud' cartoon character on the blocks... including a 7 game losing streak... c'mon, Kyle.  Yes, ND made it to the final four... but it was the NIT.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:01:21 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 09:30:27 PM »
Here's the promo:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4706767

I thought it was junk. The larger scope of the dying breed that is the white American NBA player was worthy of mention, but using McAlarney's story as a vehicle was uninspiring and pitiless.

Sounds like complete trash.  He's 5'11" and can't defend.  So he can shoot...big deal...everyone in the NBA can shoot.

And can we get over the "dying breed that is the white NBA player?"  Who cares what color he is...I can guaranty that NBA GMs don't.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:05:52 PM »
I watched it and got a kick out of it...  I'm actually surprised they aired it in the P.C. world we live in.
Jerry West basically said he doesn't draft white Americans because they aren't as athletic and white International players are popular because of the rigorous practice schedules that aren't limited by HS/NCAA regulations.  It was funny that they chose McAlarney though... I never thought he was NBA bound.  The last white American in an allstar game is Brad Miller?!?  Yikes... 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:10:19 PM by TomW1365 »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 12:13:53 PM »
Notre Dame's Chris Quinn is in the league too.  That's a bigger joke.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »
Mac's mom was hot.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 06:20:43 PM »
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 06:33:48 PM »

So he can shoot...big deal...everyone in the NBA can shoot.

What?!?!?  Have you ever watched an NBA game?  There are maybe 3-4 guys on any given NBA team that can really shoot.  The rest are just freak athletes that can dunk, most of whom can't hit anything outside of five feet. 

Not defending McAlarney at all...he has no business in the NBA even if he CAN shoot. 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 07:15:42 PM »
In fact, it's worth mentioning that Dominic took his lunch money last year.  3-12 overall, 1-6 behind the arc.

Umm, DJ?  I recall that game being the "breakout" game for Mo Acker on Defense.  Lil' Mo owned Mac when DJ wasn't in the game.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 07:38:15 PM »
Umm, DJ?  I recall that game being the "breakout" game for Mo Acker on Defense.  Lil' Mo owned Mac when DJ wasn't in the game.

Mo got up in his chest and denied him the ball. Safe to say that anyone completely shut down by Acker doesn't belong anywhere near an NBA arena unless he bought a ticket.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 01:21:56 AM »
What?!?!?  Have you ever watched an NBA game?  There are maybe 3-4 guys on any given NBA team that can really shoot.  The rest are just freak athletes that can dunk, most of whom can't hit anything outside of five feet. 

Not defending McAlarney at all...he has no business in the NBA even if he CAN shoot. 
Compared to what? Look at the Bucks and their 3 point shooters- Illyasova, Redd, Meeks, Delfino, Ridnour, Jennings, Bell....
Can anyone on Marquette out shoot any of those guys? The NBA players are amazing talented, there's a reason why even the best college players can't cut it at the next level.
OT: That's why its disheartening to see Maymon focus so much on the NBA. He should focus on earning a degree and developing as a player.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 08:00:13 AM »

I think you are referencing the NBA of about 15 years ago.

The video clip of McAlarney showed him draining uncontested jumper after uncontested jumper.  Watch and NBA warm up...that happens pretty much consistently with most of the players on each team.  It is when NBA players start to defend that you see the cream rise when it comes to shooting.  Put a slow, 5'11" guy out there and he has no chance.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 10:34:17 AM »

You've got a better memory than I do, I guess.  I was just matching PG for PG.  But if Acker shut him down, that just makes my point even more so.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »

I think you are referencing the NBA of about 15 years ago.

The video clip of McAlarney showed him draining uncontested jumper after uncontested jumper.  Watch and NBA warm up...that happens pretty much consistently with most of the players on each team.  It is when NBA players start to defend that you see the cream rise when it comes to shooting.  Put a slow, 5'11" guy out there and he has no chance.

agreed.

The NBA level is all about the ABILITY to defend. Scoring will happen, but stopping th scoring needs more effort.

I'm afraid that his deficiencies outweigh any positives.
SS Marquette

feedback