[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Acker + Cubillan = loooong year  (Read 4353 times)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Acker + Cubillan = loooong year
« on: December 12, 2009, 06:05:42 PM »
As i stated before Acker and Cubi have looked decent against the creampuffs but we cannot beat anyone of any quality with them on the floor. 

As i stated in an earlier post Dwight Buycks is the key to our season, he had a terrible game again today which means Acker and cubillan are going to be on the court.  When we have looked good this year Buycks was playing very well, he has disapppeared. 

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: Acker + Cubillan = loooong year
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »
DJO needs to start getting the nod in the main rotation over Cubillan.  Acker is serviceable, but I just don't have many positive things to say about David other than making the first bucket of the evening.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
Look at Bohannons line for the game...how many big east teams would he start for....then look at cubi's line.  When a starting guard is getting eaten alive by by Bohannon you know you are in trouble.  DJO needs to start over Cubi and he needs to simply becoem a workhorse, yes he is a first year player but he needs to go 38 minuts a game.  Cubi and Acker cannot be on the floor at the same time. 

And while Acker is not doing terribley he is simply not very good. 

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 06:23:43 PM »
When a starting guard is getting eaten alive by by Bohannon you know you are in trouble. 

What?  Bohannon finished with 8 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, and 2 turnovers on 2-7 shooting (and 3 points from the line).  How is that getting eaten alive?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 06:24:24 PM »
Look at Bohannons line for the game...how many big east teams would he start for....then look at cubi's line.  When a starting guard is getting eaten alive by by Bohannon you know you are in trouble.  DJO needs to start over Cubi and he needs to simply becoem a workhorse, yes he is a first year player but he needs to go 38 minuts a game.  Cubi and Acker cannot be on the floor at the same time. 

And while Acker is not doing terribley he is simply not very good. 

I'll agree 100%.  There is no way Cubes and Acker are on the court at same time.  Way too small and defensive liability.  Their passes are getting deflected by the taller guards. Alternate Cube and Acker, with Buycks and DJO at other spot.  That drive down the middle by Acker when we were down by five was ridiculous, then he drove again with a globetrotter spin shot that almost went in, but, come on....

Boone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »
Oh, to have just ONE point guard. We have none. At their best, the nicest thing you can say about both Acker and Cubillan is that they manage to keep both teams in the game. Then there's games like today's when both were brutal on both ends of the court. They let Jordan Taylor, of all people, have his way w/them. Jordan Taylor?!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »
I'll agree 100%.  There is no way Cubes and Acker are on the court at same time.  Way too small and defensive liability.  Their passes are getting deflected by the taller guards. Alternate Cube and Acker, with Buycks and DJO at other spot.  That drive down the middle by Acker when we were down by five was ridiculous, then he drove again with a globetrotter spin shot that almost went in, but, come on....

Give me a break, man. That was a great take off the dribble, and a good shot. Unlucky that it didn't fall. I bet if DJO, Buycks or damn near anyone else on the team does the same thing, you're saying exactly what I said: unlucky.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 06:31:43 PM »
While Acker has played better than I expected, and Cubillan can hit a single three every game, I think we're going to see a day-and-night difference next year in the backcourt.  Considering we subtract two seniors and add three freshmen that's saying something.

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 06:32:22 PM »
Give me a break, man. That was a great take off the dribble, and a good shot. Unlucky that it didn't fall. I bet if DJO, Buycks or damn near anyone else on the team does the same thing, you're saying exactly what I said: unlucky.

I think he was saying come on as in quit criticizing acker.  Man oh man I would kill to have JC for this year.

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 06:34:29 PM »
I think he was saying come on as in quit criticizing acker.  Man oh man I would kill to have JC for this year.
Oh wait nevermind, read it the wrong way.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 06:37:53 PM »
Also worth noting: Taylor is averaging 6.5 points/game, so he basically doubled his average.  However, he's only taken more than 8 shots a game twice: Dropping 19 points against Gonzaga and dropping 13 tonight against us.  If you told me before the game that Cubi and Acker held both Bohannon and Hughes below average, but that Taylor would drop 13, I'd take it.

I don't think either are going to win Big East player of the year, but I don't get the negativity towards them.  They're not taking very many shots and they're pesky on defense.

And btw, Cubi and Acker combined for 3-8, 9 points, 4 assists, 5 rebounds, and 2 TOs in 51 minutes.  Bohannon and Taylor played 65 minutes and still only ended up with 21 points on 5-18 shooting (10 of their 21 points came from the line), 3 assists, 4 rebounds, and 4 TOs.  Are those numbers really that awful?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »

I'm one of the first to point out Acker's many shortcomings (no pun intended),but I'm with you on that play. Sweet but unlucky.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 06:47:47 PM by Lennys Tap »

romey

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
He had a nice drive and score earlier when  they gave him an open lane.  Not a bad play, it just rimmed out.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 07:02:44 PM »
Ack and Cubes are simply role players who unfortunately have too big of a role this year.  They work hard and will leave it on the floor for you, but they do not create anything and are a liability on defense.  Glad they will be gone.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »
Substitute them for Blue, Junior and Smith and a more experienced Buycks and DJO...can't wait. We still may not have anyone to guard Leuer, but w/o Hughes and Bohannon, we'll handle Bucky at our place.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 07:11:47 PM »
Acker is not terrible on offense, i had no problem with the drivres,  he pushes the ball and can hit a shot everyonce in a while.  the issue is he is terrible on defense, simply terrible he cannot stop anyone on a dribble drive, he has to hand check him the whole way, same with Cubi.  thier hand checks put put them in the bonus.  Cubi is not only a terrible defender he is worthless on offense.  The problem is not so much cubi and acker as indicviduals it is them collectively.  There should be no surprise we fell into that huge hole when they started together.  Acker needs to play becuase we have no other PG, he will be the worst Pg in the bE but he is all we have.  

DJo needs to play over Cubi and Buycks needs to step up.    
MAy also need to look at going with three forwards more Maymon, Butler and hayward and just go with 2 guards, but never cubi and acker.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »
Substitute them for Blue, Junior and Smith and a more experienced Buycks and DJO...can't wait. We still may not have anyone to guard Leuer, but w/o Hughes and Bohannon, we'll handle Bucky at our place.

+100000000

Smith, Blue, in HS and Junior in aboot right now are better than acker and cubes.  Both of them seem like great guys simply not BE talent, which are former coach for whatever reason seemed to sign anyway

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 08:13:18 PM »

+100000000

Smith, Blue, in HS and Junior in aboot right now are better than acker and cubes.  Both of them seem like great guys simply not BE talent, which are former coach for whatever reason seemed to sign anyway

our not are... leave the chosen one out of this

feedback