collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Social Scene  (Read 16714 times)

warthog-driver

• All American
MU Social Scene
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:10:50 PM »
Lighthouse 84 has this list at the bottom of his posts:

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook
“favorite drinking establishment”
1. The Avalanche         8.  Park Avenue
2. The Gym                 9.  Mugrack
3. The Ardmore           10. Lighthouse
4. O’Donohues
5. O’Pagets
6. Hegarty’s
7. Major Goolsby’s

I get the 'Lanche and I assume Hegarty's is Jim Hegarty's and not the Glocca Mora. I don't see Lenny's on this list, though, nor is The Camel Club listed. What other watering holes are missing?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: MU Social Scene
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:30:46 PM »
Clearly this page needs some added, but there's some good detail too...

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/bars/start

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Leave the kids the f*** alone. I graduated in '97 and never heard of half these bars. The current freshman were born in 1991. Campus Town is "old" to them.

Point is the Marquette of old is long, long gone. And he Marquette of today is better than when we were there.

And I don't think they care a lot about old nicknames, either,.............
We Are Marquette

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:27:45 AM »
C'mon. How can you say the Marquette of Sy's Deli, Cardign Bookstore, Cousin's Subs, the 'Lanche, Jim Hegarty's, Lenny's Tap, Bumblebees, Bo's Untuckeds, the guy in the top corner of the Arena yelling Give 'em Hell Al at the end of the anthem, Blondie, the Butch and Bo Show, Fr Donnelly at the Varsity, Landy, Archie, et al have nothing to do with the MU of today? Embrace the past but live the future. 

larryt4

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 03:43:29 AM »
GERMAN BEER HALL

nuff said

NoCheese

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 06:38:30 AM »
After all these years it's still a pretty ugly area. Campus beautification my arse

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 06:40:35 AM »
C'mon. How can you say the Marquette of Sy's Deli, Cardign Bookstore, Cousin's Subs, the 'Lanche, Jim Hegarty's, Lenny's Tap, Bumblebees, Bo's Untuckeds, the guy in the top corner of the Arena yelling Give 'em Hell Al at the end of the anthem, Blondie, the Butch and Bo Show, Fr Donnelly at the Varsity, Landy, Archie, et al have nothing to do with the MU of today? Embrace the past but live the future. 

U Store, Blue Deli, Dal's, Submarine Sandwich Shop, Grebe's, J.J. Garlic's, Gym Bar, Ardmore, Italian Beef.

Fr. Naus and midnight mass at Schroeder
Mr. Ripoff at the bookstore
TMSUB---typical Marquette stuck-up bitches.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 07:15:08 AM »
Back in the early 80's, a lot of the houses on campus were named.  Our house was the Lighthouse, due to a big window in the front of the house on the second floor that looked made it look like a lighthouse.

We lived down the street from the Budhouse, the Yellow House, Pleasure Palace and the Blue House.  I think too many trips to the Budhouse made me forget the rest of them.

As for places other than bars, don't forget Wales on Wells, Suburpia or the Mugrack.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 07:58:57 AM »
The current freshman were born in 1991.

Wow......Just, wow.

I graduated in 1991.  The list in our yearbook was probably pretty much like that list.

FWIW, I didn't think the original post was at all critical of the current students or the current social scene.  I think he was just asking what bars other people remembered.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I think campus progress is good and would love to get back and see what is there -- it's been about 15 years since I've been back.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

LON

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 08:17:05 AM »
Back in the early 80's, a lot of the houses on campus were named.  Our house was the Lighthouse, due to a big window in the front of the house on the second floor that looked made it look like a lighthouse.

We lived down the street from the Budhouse, the Yellow House, Pleasure Palace and the Blue House.  I think too many trips to the Budhouse made me forget the rest of them.

As for places other than bars, don't forget Wales on Wells, Suburpia or the Mugrack.

The Blue House was still called that when I was there from '02-'06 and the one behind it was called the Dollhouse - I think that was the one that Farley's girlfriend was rumored to live in until he started it on fire (I have no idea how much truth is to that).

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 08:17:57 AM »
After all these years it's still a pretty ugly area. Campus beautification my arse

You think? I disagree, I was just in Milwaukee and thought the campus looked great.  

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 08:24:35 AM »
Curious, in terms of bar-count, what's the number of bars near campus now, versus the past?

(Near campus = within a mile)

I'm guessing there were +6 more bars to hit prior to 1995.  

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 08:29:04 AM »
Farley store is true from the biography I read about him last year.  The university made a compromise basically saying that he could finish his courses at Madison and those would be honored as courses at Marquette.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 08:59:18 AM »
Leave the kids the f*** alone. I graduated in '97 and never heard of half these bars. The current freshman were born in 1991. Campus Town is "old" to them.

Point is the Marquette of old is long, long gone. And he Marquette of today is better than when we were there.

And I don't think they care a lot about old nicknames, either,.............

Anybody else think that this is a "douchy" post?

LA

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 09:05:04 AM »
Bars Near campus (within 1 mile)

Caffreys
Hegarty's
Murphy's
Angelo's
Conway's
The Hearp and Shamrock
Jim's Timeout
The New Yorker

I think that about covers it, let me know if I missed any.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 09:08:07 AM »
Anybody else think that this is a "douchy" post?

No doubt it's douchey.

And, put me down for the campus being in better shape then when I was there.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 09:10:49 AM »
Some people must still not be getting laid.  If you can't reminice about lost brain cells here -Where can you

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 09:15:46 AM »

U Store, Blue Deli, Dal's, Submarine Sandwich Shop, Grebe's, J.J. Garlic's, Gym Bar, Ardmore, Italian Beef.

Fr. Naus and midnight mass at Schroeder
Mr. Ripoff at the bookstore
TMSUB---typical Marquette stuck-up bitches.

Can't forget Guilliano's (sp?)....2 Beer and a slice of pizza bigger than your torso for $2.62

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
The State House, Amigo's and Grunt's come to mind right off the bat.

EDIT....The GreenTree and Good Time Charlie's.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »
The Blue House was still called that when I was there from '02-'06 and the one behind it was called the Dollhouse - I think that was the one that Farley's girlfriend was rumored to live in until he started it on fire (I have no idea how much truth is to that).

How could I forget the Dollhouse?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 10:23:37 AM »

FWIW, I didn't think the original post was at all critical of the current students or the current social scene.  I think he was just asking what bars other people remembered.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I

You're not wrong. I was not criticizing the campus scene of today since I have no idea what it is like. As you correctly suggested, I was simply asking what other bars people remember. Not sure what "Avenue Commons" deal is but it's not very becoming.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »

We just to go to parties at a house called "The Toolbox" circa 98-02.  I think it was on 14th or 13th maybe, in between Kilbourn and State.  But it didn't really resemble a Toolbox, but then again maybe it had nothing to do with the shape of the house...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:29:20 AM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »
We just to go to parties at a house called "The Toolbox" circa 98-02.  I think it was on 14th or 13th maybe, in between Kilbourn and State.  But it didn't really resemble a Toolbox, but then again maybe it had nothing to do with the shape of the house...

Uh...were there a lot of guys in leather outfits and were they playing a lot of Village People?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 10:37:08 AM »
Uh...were there a lot of guys in leather outfits and were they playing a lot of Village People?

Nope, just a lot of guys with popped collars.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 10:43:30 AM »

Nope, just a lot of guys with popped collars.

If, by popped collar, you mean they were wearing their collars up then the music had to be a steady stream of David Bowie and Hall and Oates. Different crowd than the Leather Boys