[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Social Scene  (Read 16713 times)

LON

• All American
Re: MU Social Scene
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 10:57:50 AM »
If, by popped collar, you mean they were wearing their collars up then the music had to be a steady stream of David Bowie and Hall and Oates. Different crowd than the Leather Boys

I heard they were huge fans of Captain and Tennille...

77champs

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 10:59:14 AM »
I was there mid seventy's and always found it interesting that you had to pass several bars on the way home from class.   There were nicely located.  Thursdays were a big night with 15 cent beers at the Gym bar 4 to 7.   So last call for 15 cent beers was at 6 :45 so you go to the bar and order $3 worth.   If you liked the bar tended you took in a pitcher and if not in 20 cups.   Then home for dinner or Chili and start the State street tour of 12 bars starting at the Lucky Spot and going West.  One drink in each bar, most packed with MU students.   With the drinking age 18 the bars were to place to be as opposed to private parties today.   So there are not as many bars and not as many drinker due to the age limitations so bars are not as much of the Freshman culture even with fake IDs.  Its a lot harder to look 21 when you are only 18.  Fun times.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 11:02:50 AM »
What does this have to do with Marquette Basketball?

EDIT: /superbar'd
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:05:12 AM by BirkieWarrior »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 11:04:32 AM »
What does this have to do with Marquette Basketball?

Nothing, should be in the Superbar.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 11:41:45 AM »
We still named houses in 05-06 but they we're as clever, they were kind of based on landmarks. We had Blue Light (since an MU light was right in front of the house) Rape House (super sketch basement) Rugby House, 1414 (greatest place ever)  Brick Basement and Red Door -which was on like 19th and kil

I heard a rumor that red door was being torn down because it was that hazardous. That would be terrible. Even if it was a condemned house it was the only place where you could get free vodka shots.

also...
Bars Near campus (within 1 mile)

Caffreys
Hegarty's
Murphy's
Angelo's
Conway's
The Hearp and Shamrock
Jim's Timeout
The New Yorker

I think that about covers it, let me know if I missed any.

Don't BS us. Murphys and Caffs are the only bars on campus attended by multiple students. Maybe the New Yorker but thats on the opposite side. The kids I knew that went to Harp and Sham or Conways were the ones that we're douchey and too cool for the regular bar scene.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 12:13:14 PM »
We still named houses in 05-06 but they we're as clever, they were kind of based on landmarks. We had Blue Light (since an MU light was right in front of the house) Rape House (super sketch basement) Rugby House, 1414 (greatest place ever)  Brick Basement and Red Door -which was on like 19th and kil

I heard a rumor that red door was being torn down because it was that hazardous. That would be terrible. Even if it was a condemned house it was the only place where you could get free vodka shots.

also...
Don't BS us. Murphys and Caffs are the only bars on campus attended by multiple students. Maybe the New Yorker but thats on the opposite side. The kids I knew that went to Harp and Sham or Conways were the ones that we're douchey and too cool for the regular bar scene.

I think he was just trying to list all the bars that exist. I would add Miss Katie's. Went there once for a beer (for the heck of it) and was asked who I was, like I shouldn't be there, by the 4-5 townies in the bar. Creepy. I think there's another one ... thought there were 10 total that could reasonably be considered as "on campus."

But Ari is right ... it's basically down to Caffs and Murphs for bars worth spending any time at. Kind of pathetic. Fortunately, 3rd street is no more than a 20 minute walk (esp. with a limo ride half way).

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »
I would add Miss Katie's. Went there once for a beer (for the heck of it) and was asked who I was, like I shouldn't be there, by the 4-5 townies in the bar. Creepy.

My friends and I went through a period when we used to go to Miss Katie's pretty regularly for beers and pinball.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »
Late 70's Early 80's

Mugrack and Midget Bar
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »
My friends and I went through a period when we used to go to Miss Katie's pretty regularly for beers and pinball.

Yeah, it used to be practically next door to my apartment on 20th. I wish more MU students frequented it or it had a stronger appeal to MU students. It doesn't seem to me that it would be terribly hard to try to compete with the 2 campus bars (Murphs/Caffs) that currently draw students.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
We just to go to parties at a house called "The Toolbox" circa 98-02.  I think it was on 14th or 13th maybe, in between Kilbourn and State.  But it didn't really resemble a Toolbox, but then again maybe it had nothing to do with the shape of the house...

it was called "The Toolbox" because that is what it said above their front door.  When I graduated in 04, some of my friends lived there, and the house was completely wrecked inside.  I don't know how it didn't get condemned.  Needless to say, they didn't get their security deposit back.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2009, 06:30:52 PM »
One of the worst bars near MU was the Circle Inn. Not sure what it was supoposed to be - disco, meat market, sports bar - but it attracted a strange crowd

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
But Ari is right ... it's basically down to Caffs and Murphs for bars worth spending any time at. Kind of pathetic.

Current senior, and my favorite bar has always been and will continue to be Hegarty's. Don't know why they can't get a bigger crowd. And FYI for those who didn't already know, they're closing down this summer. Their lease is up, and MU's taking over.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2009, 08:00:45 PM »
Current senior, and my favorite bar has always been and will continue to be Hegarty's. Don't know why they can't get a bigger crowd. And FYI for those who didn't already know, they're closing down this summer. Their lease is up, and MU's taking over.

:'( The wing nights will be missed most of all.  They really should run one of the LIMO routes with stops at 3rd and Water.  All the students go there or to North Ave anyway.  Unless things have changed, it's probably lamer than ever to stay on campus.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2009, 03:00:39 AM »

Not closing this summer according to one of their staff.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »
Not closing this summer according to one of their staff.

I know their closing has been a rumor off and on, but I heard it from the owner numerous times this fall. I'd love it if you were correct.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2009, 05:44:47 PM »
ya i think you're right, it has been back and forth

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 06:30:32 PM »
I damn near lived in Hegarty's my junior year.   Closed it every Sunday for a semester.    So many good memories......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »
I know their closing has been a rumor off and on, but I heard it from the owner numerous times this fall. I'd love it if you were correct.

Is Todd still around? I heard he was battling some serious illness after I graduated.

I was also in there after the MSOE game, and noticed that they were marking all of the shelved liquor. What's up with that?

I remember being in Heg's until 4:00AM playing Crusing USA & Silverstrike Bowling. Great times.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 02:10:50 PM »
Yeah, the contention that Caff's and Murph's are the only places worth going unless you're too douchy was pretty off base.  Bad specials, monopoly on the market, Murph's is probably one of the most poorly set up bars I've ever seen.  Really other than locale the only thing those places have going for them is Caff's outdoor deck when the weather is nice. 
  I actually think its the epitome of douchy to project that anyone who goes to Conway's thinks they're too good for anything.  From experience, I know that people who go to Conway's or the Harp & Sham might be a lot of things, but pretentious certainly couldn't be one of them.  Those bars are more representative of Marquette throwbacks than anything.  If you're on immediate campus, I was always partial to Hag's for the same reason.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 02:44:16 PM »
Yeah, the contention that Caff's and Murph's are the only places worth going unless you're too douchy was pretty off base.  Bad specials, monopoly on the market, Murph's is probably one of the most poorly set up bars I've ever seen.  Really other than locale the only thing those places have going for them is Caff's outdoor deck when the weather is nice. 
  I actually think its the epitome of douchy to project that anyone who goes to Conway's thinks they're too good for anything.  From experience, I know that people who go to Conway's or the Harp & Sham might be a lot of things, but pretentious certainly couldn't be one of them.  Those bars are more representative of Marquette throwbacks than anything.  If you're on immediate campus, I was always partial to Hag's for the same reason.

Conway's was awesome man. Thursday wing nights were killer.

LON

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 02:45:32 PM »
My favorite story from Hegarty's is when a group of alums came in (had to be around late 20s, early 30s) and my friends and I were underage sophomores with good/decent ID's, nothing special.  We played pool, they reminisced about kegs in McCormick (and other shenanigans) and then got us absolutely s***-faced and then proceeded to take us to Encore and give us all about $50 in one dollar bills...

Needless to say, hilarity ensued.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »
Is Todd still around? I heard he was battling some serious illness after I graduated.

I was also in there after the MSOE game, and noticed that they were marking all of the shelved liquor. What's up with that?

I remember being in Heg's until 4:00AM playing Crusing USA & Silverstrike Bowling. Great times.

Yes, although he just opened a new bar in Bay View, so I haven't seen him in a few weeks.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2009, 03:53:16 PM »
After all these years it's still a pretty ugly area. Campus beautification my arse

You think the campus is still pretty ugly...it's a paradise compared to the late sixties when I attended. The only green grass on campus was a section in front of the old Memorial Library and a strip in front of the dental school. Half the area looked like a war zone with all the urban renewal going on. I 94 was just being built my freshman year.

On another note one of the best bars on campus was a place called Callahans, it was located just south of the Wehr Life Science building before they tore it down in 1968.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2009, 04:58:35 PM »
Really miss the coblestone roads south of Wisconsin Ave. on 13th, 14th, and 15th.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2009, 10:50:40 PM »
Does anybody remember the office buildings on WI Ave between Gesu and the Marquette Court Apts? I think they had academic offices there that were replaced by Coughlin Hall? Old building, creaky floor, narrow halls, radiator heat.

By the way, I just looked at a map and the campus is a lot different today. Wow! I haven't been back in more than 12 years and it has changed...

feedback