Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruits  (Read 5718 times)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
Recruits
« on: February 06, 2007, 04:40:01 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone had a good grasp on the recruits we are targeting to begin in 2008.  I always find this topic interesting, also any additional information is always good, such as their level of interest in MU or others interested in them. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Recruits
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 06:01:28 PM »
The Scout site has the following recruits listed:

AL   JaMychal Green (PF 6-7, #9 in nation)
TX   Nathen Garth (PG, 6-4)
CA   Edgar Garibay (C, 6-10)
CA   Demar DeRozan (SF, 6-4) - Garibay's teammate
NY   Patrick Jackson (SF, 6-5)
IL    Luke Fabrizius (SF, 6-8)
DC   Max Kenyi (SG, 6-5)
CA   Colin Chieverton (SF, 6-5)
UT   Taylor Brown (SG, 6-5)

AL   Nick Williams (MU Commit)
SS Marquette

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:08:06 AM »
Interesting geographic dispersion.  Only one midwesterner and no one from Wisconsin.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:25:17 AM »
I think we can add Jamal Wilson to that list after seeing him and his family at the game last Saturday.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 11:58:11 AM »
I think we can add Jamal Wilson to that list after seeing him and his family at the game last Saturday.

He's class of 2009, the guys listed above are 2008.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 12:52:31 PM »
Interesting geographic dispersion.  Only one midwesterner and no one from Wisconsin.

I think recruiting nationally is a goal for MU, just as never letting a WI recruit leave is one as well.

"Strike while the iron is hot" comes to mind when MU recruits. With their current successful seasons, high notoriety in the polls and TV, and Wade's superb play in the NBA, Crean does - and should! - go nationwide.

When you can pluck a great player from another state, that is a true testament to the success your program is experiencing. Coaches and other recruits take notice, too.

The only hang-up (and it's huge) to becoming an MU recruit is simply "warming up" to the idea: Milwaukee is freaking cold. So to see Nick Williams come from a southern state is much more than a breath of fresh air - it's a relaxing warm breeze.
SS Marquette

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 03:23:16 PM »

I think recruiting nationally is a goal for MU, just as never letting a WI recruit leave is one as well.

"Strike while the iron is hot" comes to mind when MU recruits. With their current successful seasons, high notoriety in the polls and TV, and Wade's superb play in the NBA, Crean does - and should! - go nationwide.

When you can pluck a great player from another state, that is a true testament to the success your program is experiencing. Coaches and other recruits take notice, too.

The only hang-up (and it's huge) to becoming an MU recruit is simply "warming up" to the idea: Milwaukee is freaking cold. So to see Nick Williams come from a southern state is much more than a breath of fresh air - it's a relaxing warm breeze.

I was actually bringing this up as a positive.  I love the national recruiting trend.  The other major reason we're able to do out is being in the Big East.  Having the same success in C-USA probably wouldn't allow us to recruit the east coast the way we are.  I still would like to beat out Bo Ryan for the top WI recruit every year though.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 12:10:04 AM »
Theres also the point guards Clark from OK and Strickland from NY - although he might be an '09er.  There should be some other guys from IL as well.  Dunnigan??
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 12:23:02 AM »

I was actually bringing this up as a positive.  I love the national recruiting trend.  The other major reason we're able to do out is being in the Big East.  Having the same success in C-USA probably wouldn't allow us to recruit the east coast the way we are.  I still would like to beat out Bo Ryan for the top WI recruit every year though.

I know you were. I love the national recruiting too...and I know you can't get all of them.

And that leads us to this: Not every top WI recruit is a good fit for MU.
SS Marquette

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 12:09:10 PM »
Wilson was also at the MU v Wisconsin game, and at the WI v Pitt game as well. 

augoman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 12:39:34 PM »
am I the only one who notices a lack of 'big men'?

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 12:31:12 AM »

Well theres three big men on that list, plus Dunnigan out of Chicago is a Center and Baldwin from Pennsylvania is a PF.   We are recruiting a lot more players than the ones talked about so far. 
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
We have three who will be freshman this fall. 

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 01:48:26 PM »
where is a good place to be updated on these sorts of things, I look at rivals every once in a while, but you really need to subscribe there to get any info, just wondering if theres another place to look at this stuff without needing to register?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

augoman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 02:43:45 PM »
when I say 'big men', I refer to someone over 6'8"..., which, after this season, leaves us w/ Ooze.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 02:45:16 PM »
Actually Rivals is pretty useful in this respect, even without a subscription.  Just go to:
 - http://marquette.rivals.com/prosearch.asp?sport=2
Then
 - Pull down and select the recruiting year you want to look at
 - Click through the positions in the middle of the page "Point Guard, Shooting Guard,..." to see who we are (or were) targeting.

There's usually a few on the list that aren't in rivals database, but it's still pretty good.  Scout probably has a similar (free) feature as well.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 02:58:04 PM »
The problem with big men is that not all of them run as well as Ooze does. If they do and have the skills of a small forward/guard, then they usually go to a big state school.

Crean's style seems to me to employ long forwards who can rebound but be athletic enough to handle most guards.

Having an Aaron gray, though it has its plusses, would slow down this team.

Crean wants points in transition.
SS Marquette

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 03:07:50 PM »
when I say 'big men', I refer to someone over 6'8"..., which, after this season, leaves us w/ Ooze.
What about guys that have long arms, can run the court, and still can play solid D against guys that are 4 inches taller than they are? I'd rather have guys like this in Crean's lineup and scheme than a 7' guy that cant run the floor for more than 4 or 5 posessions like someone like Hibbert. Our offense is made for transition and speed, and i think the kind of players we're bringing in fits that really well

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 03:11:04 PM »
I'll take Hibbert.

DanceHallPlayer

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 05:39:57 PM »
For what it's worth, Hoopmasters has Marquette listed as recruiting for 2008:

Armond Battle, 6'6" wing forward/power forward, Plymouth, Mn.
Bryan Brown, 6'6" wing forward/power forward, Milwaukee King Highschool
Montrel Clark, 6'10" center, Milwaukee Pius
Josh Crittle, 6'8" forward, Chicago Hales Franciscan
Matt Humphrey 6'5" swingman also from Hales Franciscan
Jeremiah Kelly 6'1" point guard, Chicago Boys to Men Academy
Deandre Liggins 6'6" forward, Chicago George Washington
Andy Nagel 6'8" center/power forward, Fort Dodge, Ia
Renaldo Woolridge 6'7" wing forward, Westlake Ca. (Orlando's son)
Jeff Janssen, wing guard/wing forward, Fairmont, Mn.

I am only reporting what I see. I have no idea how up-to-date any of this info is. Some of it definely is out-of-date and much of it may be.  Marquette is not listed with any of these players by Rivals or Scout, with the exception of Woolridge (Rivals). Some of these players aren't listed at all by other services.
file:///C:/Users/dhoughton/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/P45VEX3L/White%20Guy%20Cant%20Jump.gif

feedback