[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The perfect MU Food Day.... I dare you to try it!  (Read 16263 times)

Dr. Dunkenstein

• Walk-On
Re: The perfect MU Food Day.... I dare you to try it!
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »
I lived a block from Michael's and would occasionally end up there with a few roommates for Biscuits & Gravy.  They would usually be out of biscuits, though, but we would still get it with any bread they had to offer.  It was the gravy that was key at 3 am.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 02:19:10 PM »
I remember taking my dad to Michael' in the late 80s and seeing the horror in his eyes when the biscuits and gravy arrived -- or as he called it, "the grease trap."

Real Chili still stands the test of time IMO. Still remember eating nachos at Amigos with all of the bums at bar time, Hoy Ping, Guliani's pizza (with the freshman hurling everywhere because any fake ID worked there), and Chicago's (23rd/Wells?) for anything fried.

Kudos to Sultan of South Wayne for jogging my memory of Wales on Wells -- awesome cheese fries and burgers.  It was much better as the one-room shack before it expanded and disappeared.

All of the aesthetic changes over the years have really transformed the campus, but I still miss that dumpy campus littered with bars and grime. RIP Avalanche, ODs, Ardmore, OPs, Gym Bar (real), Murphys, Green Tree, State House, Good Time Charlies, Tomahs, Conways, Glocca Morra.

LON

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 02:57:29 PM »
I saw mention of the restaurant, but no love for the Dagwood at Michaels at 3am????

Where else can you see a fight between two real life pimps? If you haven't been to Michael's restaurant on a Friday or Saturday night you haven't experience MU to the fullest.

Oh man I knew I couldn't be the only other one to have witnessed this on more than one occasion.

TexMex

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »
Food brings sooo many wonderful things to soo many people. I'm so hungry after reading through this thread.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 05:36:19 PM »
RIP Avalanche, ODs, Ardmore, OPs, Gym Bar (real), Murphys, Green Tree, State House, Good Time Charlies, Tomahs, Conways, Glocca Morra.
Conways is still around. Last I heard they have either live music or karaoke during the week one night, I can't imagine what that is like.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 11:03:55 PM »
Conways is still around. Last I heard they have either live music or karaoke during the week one night, I can't imagine what that is like.

I think that could only be described as awesome.

Marquette08

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 06:40:44 AM »
conway's have a blue jam on Wednesday.   but the owners are pretty boy and over price everything.  and i wouldn't eat the food!!!  i would stay away from that place.  the bartender are slow too!!!!!

TexMex

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 03:13:46 PM »
Quite possibly the worst list of MU food I've seen.

12:00AM: Whatever is left over from Hegarty's kitchen before close. Usually a plate of fries is comped on the house.

2:30AM: Almost two bowls of Real Chili. The second bowl often goes unfinished as cracker throwing ensues, jackets are generally left behind as well.

11:30AM: Taco Bell from 21st and Wisconsin. Generally, you order way too much and have to run back to your apartment before sharting your pajamas.

4:30PM: Double Sobleman Burger. The hunger pangs return after spending the last several hours with the blinds shut, with several trips to the bathroom. A double Sobelman Burger with a pitcher of Miller Lite preps you for the night.

10:30PM: Marquette Gyro, with extra sauce.

3:00AM: Put a frozen pizza into the oven, only to leave to pass out and let it burn setting the fire alarm off. Try to salvage a few bites, generally more effort than reward.

Thats just dumb. The original list at least was realistic and should be etched in stone somewhere. You should be ashamed. I consider you the steve bartman of eating food. I hope u burn your mouth a little bit on your oven pizza.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 04:10:55 PM »

Thats just dumb. The original list at least was realistic and should be etched in stone somewhere. You should be ashamed. I consider you the steve bartman of eating food. I hope u burn your mouth a little bit on your oven pizza.

I should be ashamed? Not realistic? Buddy, do yourself a favor and keep your vagina off the board.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 05:23:56 PM »
I should be ashamed? Not realistic? Buddy, do yourself a favor and keep your vagina off the board.

Grow up "guy". You've probably never enjoyed half the things TexMex has during his life. The Hot Pastrami sandwhich is God' gift to man. The Gryo's Philly Cheesesteak is like making love to a beautiful woman. And the Dogg Haus TexMex is like doing cocaine off a young woman's firm buttocks.

You are old. No one goes to Real Chili anymore. Its time has past.

I would just add Qdoba to TexMex's list.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 05:30:19 PM »
Grow up "guy". You've probably never enjoyed half the things TexMex has during his life. The Hot Pastrami sandwhich is God' gift to man. The Gryo's Philly Cheesesteak is like making love to a beautiful woman. And the Dogg Haus TexMex is like doing cocaine off a young woman's firm buttocks.

Old? I graduated in 2008. I was on campus last month and Chili was packed.

I guess you 'kids' can keep your crappy food. Qdoba? Wow, real good pick there.

hairy wet cats.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 06:37:57 PM »

The fact that you darn kids don't go to Real Chili doesn't mean its time has passed, but that you have terrible taste.

Class of 2006

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »
Actually the philly cheesesteak at Gyro's is awful. Have you ever had one from Philly Way in Milwaukee. Nuff said. And as far as Real Chili goes....it's still and will continue to be a staple of Marquette food now and forever. I only graduated a year and a half ago, so I doubt the times have changed much since then. The dogg haus is pretty good and worth a try if you have never had it. As far as pizza goes, Angelo's is still king. I crave Angelo's pizza once a week as well as real chili once a week. Those are the two most memorable food items Marquette has to offer. I think it will stay that way for some time to come.

Michael's is an experience and it has everything a random diner has to offer from good geasy food, to extremely weird people at all hours of the day, to raggidy, cracked out waitresses who hate their job. You'll see a wide array of people in there, that's for sure. It's worth going to once or twice a year. I think that covers my opinion.

And oh yeah, don't ever eat the annex just because it is convenient. It will take a half hour to get a waiter, another hour to get your cold food, and then another 45 minutes to pay your bill. Drinking there is more than adequate.

Peace.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 11:40:33 PM »
While I was at MU...(over my 5 years there)

morning:  Big Apple Bagels with shmear or butter and a copy of the Chicago Tribune

lunch:  a Taste of Philly cheesesteak or that BBQ place in campus town
(both gone)

dinner:  wings from Pizza Joe's, pizza from Pizza Pi's, burgers from Marq Gyros, or a trip down to BW3s on Water
SS Marquette

KCmastapeace

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »
Is anyone else mad that China Garden is no more?  In all honesty it was always horrible leaving your body, but it was so glorious entering.  Nothing is better then all you can eat sweet and sour chicken.  Also it was such a close walk from Schroeder which made it convenient for my floor mates and I.  I know many of you will probably over react and get on here ripping me for speaking of China Garden in this fashion, but Chinese food is just sooo good.

-KCmastapeace

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 03:18:37 PM »
Is anyone else mad that China Garden is no more?  In all honesty it was always horrible leaving your body, but it was so glorious entering.  Nothing is better then all you can eat sweet and sour chicken.  Also it was such a close walk from Schroeder which made it convenient for my floor mates and I.  I know many of you will probably over react and get on here ripping me for speaking of China Garden in this fashion, but Chinese food is just sooo good.

-KCmastapeace

I liked it better as Super China but China Garden Sundays were awesome. One meal for the day.
But I like to throw handfuls...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »
IMO, for China Garden to be good, you needed 2 of the following 3 conditions:
--You're hammered (and they closed at 9 I believe, so start drinking fast.)
--You're absolutely starving
--The buffet was hot and fresh

I found luck a couple times with going in with a big group for the buffet about 30 minutes to close. They were so happy for the business that they asked us what buffet food we would especially like and whip up new batches for us.

Otherwise, meh. Good riddance.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »

The fact that you darn kids don't go to Real Chili doesn't mean its time has passed, but that you have terrible taste.

Class of 2006

Co-sign.

Class of 2007

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 09:30:58 PM »
Actually the philly cheesesteak at Gyro's is awful. Have you ever had one from Philly Way in Milwaukee. Nuff said.

MarqPTM found the Philly Way our senior year and it is delicious.  I highly recommend it.

And what the hell is wrong with you people think Chili is dead? 

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2009, 09:18:57 AM »
MarqPTM found the Philly Way our senior year and it is delicious.  I highly recommend it.

And what the hell is wrong with you people think Chili is dead? 

Can't agree more with the Philly Way.  It's on like 2nd before national or around there, I forget.

Real Chilli is solid.  I'm not a huge Real Chilli fan, but to keep it off the list or to say that it is "dead" is absurd!
Marquette University, Spring '08

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2009, 09:25:23 AM »
Can't agree more with the Philly Way.  It's on like 2nd before national or around there, I forget.

Real Chilli is solid.  I'm not a huge Real Chilli fan, but to keep it off the list or to say that it is "dead" is absurd!

If anyone is interested in the Philly Way, it's a 2nd & Florida.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2009, 09:57:25 AM »
If anyone is interested in the Philly Way, it's a 2nd & Florida.

There is one on Third and Wells too. They only deliver during the day.
But I like to throw handfuls...

muphan

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 01:12:13 PM »
michaels is not to bad for the late late night food. In order to go to michaels you should be walking home from the harp and shamrock at 9am on a saterday or sunday morning. Also the broken yolk is always a safe bet. Good food and good people working there

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 01:57:10 PM »
Side note:  The Philly Way only takes cash.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 02:55:45 PM »
Side note:  The Philly Way only takes cash.

Unlike Real Chili who now takes PLASTIC!!

feedback