collapse

* Recent Posts

2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 01:06:27 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 10:10:15 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Lennys Tap
[June 20, 2024, 08:26:59 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Warriors4ever
[June 20, 2024, 07:45:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 05:24:06 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[June 20, 2024, 02:56:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mark Martin  (Read 12867 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Mark Martin
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:10:18 AM »
I don't know if there are any NASCAR fans out here. I myself am a very casual observer, but I have always been a big fan of Mark Martin. What he and his team have done this year is unbelievable. After coming so close so many times, it looked like it was all over for him a couple years ago. Yet here he is, and I can't help but fear he is going to knock on the door and have the rug pulled out from under him yet again.

🏀

• All American
Re: Mark Martin
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 11:14:52 AM »
I hope that rug gets yanked, he's no better then Favre.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:27:47 PM »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »
I hope that rug gets yanked, he's no better then Favre.

He is also 10-12 years older than Favre.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:00:15 PM »
He is also 10-12 years older than Favre.

Yeah, but he just drives a car.  Big deal.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:04:05 PM »

Yeah, but he just drives a car.  Big deal.

Exactly my point.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:11:46 PM »
I don't know what NASCAR is, but if it is some sort of a sport, it sounds impressive in that you can be so old and still 'play it'.  I guess.  On a level with shuffleboard, cribbage and pinochle at least. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 01:12:34 PM »
http://www.nascar-is-not-a-sport.com/

For a site that claims to make an "intellectual argument" and posit that NASCAR fans are "not familiar with the dictionary or proper noun usage," it certainly leaves something to be desired from a grammar/spelling/punctuation standpoint.  Which, admittedly, doesn't mean that its argument is invalid.

LON

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 01:15:14 PM »
I don't know what NASCAR is, but if it is some sort of a sport, it sounds impressive in that you can be so old and still 'play it'.  I guess.  On a level with shuffleboard, cribbage and pinochle at least. 

I'm going to have to agree that turning left a bunch of times doesn't make it a sport.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 01:17:05 PM »

You forgot golf.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 01:22:47 PM »
I always love when people say he drives a car...big deal.  Have any of you ever driven a car like that?  I worked extensively with NASCAR the last three years and have had the opportunity to drive on several tracks, not as a passenger, but actually driving.  My top speed was 152 at California Speedway with 7 other cars on the track with me.  I did 12 laps and was absolutely exhausted.  Those cars are a load....these guys are in great shape and have to make decisions in a split second that are incredible.

Whether it's a "sport" or not, is debatable, but it's definitely a big deal to drive a care with 42 other cars all going 150mph plus  (on some tracks, 200mph).

Is golf a sport?  Or is it a game?  Is bowling a sport...or a game?  We could have this argument about many things...curling, gymnastics, bowling, golf, motor sports, etc.

The definition of sport does not necessarily include physical activities, in includes things like card games, board games.  In the general definition of SPORT, it most certainly applies.  It was one of the first things taught to us in graduate school.  It's not a degree in SPORTS administration, it's a degree in SPORT Administration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 01:39:39 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

You win.  How can anyone possibly argue against a description written on wikipedia.org??

I do think race car driving or whatever it's called is a sport, just a stupid sport in my opinion.  There is some weird scoring system, apparently there are even 'teams' and there is a 'winner' at events - I'm OK with calling it a sport.  Chugging a jar of milk after winning is extremely questionable. 

"These guys are in a great shape"?  Seriously?  Some of those guys even make ME look fit. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »

"These guys are in a great shape"?  Seriously?  Some of those guys even make ME look fit. 

Who exactly?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 01:54:11 PM »
  You win.  How can anyone possibly argue against a description written on wikipedia.org??

I do think race car driving or whatever it's called is a sport, just a stupid sport in my opinion.  There is some weird scoring system, apparently there are even 'teams' and there is a 'winner' at events - I'm OK with calling it a sport.  Chugging a jar of milk after winning is extremely questionable. 

I'd like to know who in the racing world (NASCAR and IRL) is not in very good shape.  I'm struggling to think of any.   We could make similar comments about more than a few DH's over the years in baseball.  Did Cecil Fielder look fit?  How about a few of the Nose Tackles in football?  It's not always about how they look, it's what they can do.

I'm not a big fan of Wiki, either, but they are consistent with the general definition of sport as I was taught in academia. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 02:12:02 PM »
I'd like to know who in the racing world (NASCAR and IRL) is not in very good shape.  I'm struggling to think of any.   We could make similar comments about more than a few DH's over the years in baseball.  Did Cecil Fielder look fit?  How about a few of the Nose Tackles in football?  It's not always about how they look, it's what they can do.

I'm not a big fan of Wiki, either, but they are consistent with the general definition of sport as I was taught in academia. 

I don't know who is in Nascar and I don't know what IRL is.  I think that Tony Stewart guy that I saw on TV commercials all weekend is in Nascar -- yeah, the slob holding a big effin Whopper from BK in his dirty little hands.  Just looked him up - are all these guys short little guys?  Says Tony is 5'9 180 lbs.  -- CDC would tell you he's overweight and I would as well.  The height and weight of nose tackles is largely important to their position -- I don't know if Tony Stewart being a fat slob helps him press the pedal with more precision -- maybe so.  But then I think of another race 'person'...

That decent looking chick Danica Patrick is joining Nascar isn't she?... I may take back what I said about it being a sport.  If it's past 2nd grade and you're still letting girls play, it may not be a sport. 

At any rate, I am OK with calling racing a sport.  But, I'd rather watch and play bowling (or Uno,... or marbles... or kick-the-can). 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 02:22:13 PM »
  I don't know who is in Nascar and I don't know what IRL is.  I think that Tony Stewart guy that I saw on TV commercials all weekend is in Nascar -- yeah, the slob holding a big effin Whopper from BK in his dirty little hands.  Just looked him up - are all these guys short little guys?  Says Tony is 5'9 180 lbs.  -- CDC would tell you he's overweight and I would as well.  The height and weight of nose tackles is largely important to their position -- I don't know if Tony Stewart being a fat slob helps him press the pedal with more precision -- maybe so.  But then I think of another race 'person'...

That decent looking chick Danica Patrick is joining Nascar isn't she?... I may take back what I said about it being a sport.  If it's past 2nd grade and you're still letting girls play, it may not be a sport. 

At any rate, I am OK with calling racing a sport.  But, I'd rather watch and play bowling (or Uno,... or marbles... or kick-the-can). 

So you got Tony Stewart, who would be consider 'mildly overweight' by the AMA.

Anyone else? If you're going to make ridiculous statements, please back them up.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 02:25:51 PM »
Yes, most drivers are smaller because of how the cars are that they have to get into, especially IRL.  But, there are a few that are over 6 feet tall as well.  

I used to say the same thing as you about motorsports until I went to some events.  Quite a rush to see these guys whipping by you at 200mph.  Some good times, but it's like Vegas.  I can handle Vegas for 2 days and then I have to get out.  About 1 race a year for me is great, beyond that and I have to take a pass.

My one race this year is in a few weeks for NASCAR chase race out here in California.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:35:17 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 02:32:38 PM »

Anyone else? If you're going to make ridiculous statements, please back them up.

Please stop encouraging him from posting any more than he already does.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 02:39:57 PM »

Like I said, I don't know who races.  I just know that this weekend I saw some pig with a whopper in his greasy hands on TV commercials and on Friday on ESPN there was some loud hillbilly old man slob named 'Force' that was definitely not 'in great shape'. 

I didn't make a ridiculous statement, rather gave a reasonable opinion...  however, you lied - you claim the AMA would consider a 26.6 BMI 'mildly overweight'.  I do not believe they consider anything 'mildly' overweight.  While the AMA does break own obesity into mild, extreme, etc... I don't think they do for overweight.  Are you lying for the sake of trying to convince me that Tony Stewart is in great shape?

BTW, are you the PT guy?  Ever work with people that have had ACDF / any horror stories? 

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 02:40:53 PM »

Please stop encouraging him from posting any more than he already does.

:D :D :D

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 03:49:56 PM »
  Like I said, I don't know who races.  I just know that this weekend I saw some pig with a whopper in his greasy hands on TV commercials and on Friday on ESPN there was some loud hillbilly old man slob named 'Force' that was definitely not 'in great shape'. 

I didn't make a ridiculous statement, rather gave a reasonable opinion...  however, you lied - you claim the AMA would consider a 26.6 BMI 'mildly overweight'.  I do not believe they consider anything 'mildly' overweight.  While the AMA does break own obesity into mild, extreme, etc... I don't think they do for overweight.  Are you lying for the sake of trying to convince me that Tony Stewart is in great shape?

BTW, are you the PT guy?  Ever work with people that have had ACDF / any horror stories? 

You made a very misinformed opinion, which continues to display the brilliance of your ignorance.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 04:08:17 PM »

So baseball must not have been impressive back in the day?  Paige debuted at age 41 and pitched until age 47.  And that is assuming that was really his age.  Many historians believe he was in his mid 50's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satchel_Paige

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 04:31:24 PM »
So baseball must not have been impressive back in the day?  Paige debuted at age 41 and pitched until age 47.  And that is assuming that was really his age.  Many historians believe he was in his mid 50's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satchel_Paige

Hey look, the wikipedia citings continue to impress me, but the comparison between baseball in the 40s and 50s and Nascar today is something I would only expect a mascot to come up with.  Paige is an exception, not a rule.  Over time, MLB players have, on average, gotten younger.. perhaps as time goes on, Nascar will have fewer old, obese men and pettite little girls in it.  Yee haw

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »
  Hey look, the wikipedia citings continue to impress me, but the comparison between baseball in the 40s and 50s and Nascar today is something I would only expect a mascot to come up with.  Paige is an exception, not a rule.  Over time, MLB players have, on average, gotten younger.. perhaps as time goes on, Nascar will have fewer old, obese men and pettite little girls in it.  Yee haw

Alright is this citation better for you?  I didn't realize I was turning in a report.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=paigesa01

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 04:46:11 PM »
 Over time, MLB players have, on average, gotten younger.. perhaps as time goes on, Nascar will have fewer old, obese men and pettite little girls in it.  Yee haw

Rarely do I encourage use of the ignore button, but Jay Bee makes that prospect awfully tempting. His pattern of his idiotic behavior has become uber-predictable, and even more lame...

1. Make some idiotic, uninformed comment.
2. Someone else points out the many things wrong with said comment.
3. Raise the level of ridiculousness of subsequent comments in an attempt to make it appear as if the first was just one in a line of facetious and/or "humorous" comments.