[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Buzz Spoke In Chicago Today (September 17)  (Read 20881 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Buzz Spoke In Chicago Today (September 17)
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:11:24 PM »
Steve Cottingham (AD), Buzz and Terri Mitchell (women’s b-ball coach) all spoke today in Chicago (September 17) at the Marquette Club of Chicago Coaches Luncheon.  It was at the Union League Club and I'm guessing 300 to 400 were in attendance.  What follows are my notes from memory in no particular order.  It's been a long day and I’m tired so forgive me upfront if my notes are poorly written.  Others in attendance might have had different impressions.

First up was Cottingham.  He talked about the state of the athletic programs other than basketball, the Big East and MU in general.  Here is my take-away ….

MU’s incoming freshman class is 1,800 from nearly 18,000 applications.  It is the most competitive class in history, breaking the record of last year, which broke the record from the year before.  He did not define “competitive” but I took it to mean average GPA, ACT/SAT scores.

Women’s volleyball is doing very well.  They are 9 and 2 and ranked.  Men’s cross country is hosting the Big East conference invite in Kenosha on October 31.  Last year’s overall NCAA winner from Providence will be running.

The state of the Big East is fine.

Men’s b-ball season ticket sales are at a new record.  He did not give a number other than to say “many thousands” and said for the first time in history the $99 season ticket package was sold out.  (What is this package?)

Buzz spoke next.  As usual Buzz was very direct.

Up front he apologized.  He said that the team has been terrible in practice.  He held a 6:30 AM practice today in it last 12 minutes before he kicked everyone out in disgust.  He spoke ahead of Terri Mitchell instead of going last so he could get back for a 2:30 practice.  He hoped it would last longer than 12 minutes.

Buzz related the story of his 4 month old daughter and how his wife is helping her sit up and roll over.  He said her development is further along than his team.

The reason they are having poor practices because the players are overwhelmed with college, basketball and their new social life.  Buzz said they all mean well and are trying to get better but right now it is ugly.

He then said that he has been on the road recruiting as the recruiting window opened on September 9.  He got back Monday night and while he could not talk about it, he said that MU is now in places it has never been before.  Buzz said that November 16 is the first day to sign LOI and seem to IMPLY that this would be “a big day for MU.”  No further details.

He then talked about individual players.  

DJO is not a “1” but a solid “2.”  He is in a walking boot and will be for another month or so.  He partially tore his Achilles in his right foot.  He said that DJO has never been injured before and is not taking it well.  Buzz was clear that he believed this is not a season ending injury.  He would be ready physically for the first game in November but the loss of practice time now will set back his development.

Dwight Bykes is Raw but Buzz believes will be a really good player.  He can play the 1. He gushed about him.

Junior is another player than he gushed about.  Compared his game to Pitt’s Fields and said he lost weight.  He said he will be a really special player in a few years.

Jeromme Maymon is a “17 ½ year old Ron Artest.”  I hope he meant his game and not his attitude!  (I think he did).  He said the most important number Maymom needs to learn is “84”  as in the court is 84 feet long and he needs to learn to play the entire court.  After that Jeromme needs to learn “50” as in the court is 50 feet wide and he needs to play from side to side.  This was Buzz’s way to say Jeromme can no longer be a scoring machine and must learn to play D.

He said that Joe Fulce has bounced back well from surgery and expects him to be the Fulce of the Providence comeback of last year.

Butler was another player he talked a bit about as well.  He expects big things from him.

You is a player with great skills.  He’s a bit lost as English is his second language and David Culliban serves as his translator.

In the Q&A he explained why they do not practice free throws.  He said free throw shooting is a toughness issue not a mechanical issue.  He said if you look up the best free throw shooters on a team, they are usually the toughest players.

I’m too tired to continue.  More later.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:27:34 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Buzz Spoke In Chicago Today (September 17)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »
One more thing ... when talking about recruiting he has very clear that he considers character very important in the recruiting process.  I could help but to think he was talking directly about Clark although he did not say his name.  He left me with the impression that Clark is no longer a MU recruit (again this is my interpretation of Buzz's words)

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »
So DJO is having Achilles surgery... hopefully it goes as well as expected

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »

No, he said he would wear a boot for a month and that should be enough.  Achilles surgery takes a year to recover from.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:23:42 PM »
Thanks for the update 84.   

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:24:54 PM »
My bad, I was combining these known points with a rumor from a friend.

groove

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:33:18 PM »
Not good news about DJO. Even though it's not a complete tear and he didn't have surgery, from what I've read with that kind of injury you could have a boot on for 4-6 weeks before even being able to work out. And then because they opted not to have surgery, there is an increased change of reinjury or complete rupture. But I'm not a doctor though I stayed at a holiday inn once.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

Where did you hear that he is getting Achilles tendon surgery?  Buzz never mentioned the Achilles tendon.  If he is having Achilles tendon surgery, that is a serious deal.  I had it, and it took me months and months to fully recover, and acutally it still bothers me 25 years later.

I hope this is not the case.  Buzz talked about a tendown on the side of the foot (on each sid eof the ankle).

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 09:42:05 PM »
A very close friend witnessed a player talking with other players tonight, and surgery was specifically mentioned, as if it was a very recent development.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:46:30 PM by g0lden3agle »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 11:23:03 PM »
Thanks Another...but you should know it's Jeronne...not Jeromme.

And it is pronounced Jer-ON.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:49:25 PM »
I thought a basketball court is 94 feet long.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 12:45:10 AM »

In the Q&A he explained why they do not practice free throws.  He said free throw shooting is a toughness issue not a mechanical issue.  He said if you look up the best free throw shooters on a team, they are usually the toughest players.

Does not speak well of Dominic James' toughness then.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 12:58:39 AM »

That's an interesting perception.  I would agree with him that the person that takes the most free throws is the toughest player, not sure I would agree that they are the best free throw shooters. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 06:11:40 AM »
Where did you hear that he is getting Achilles tendon surgery?  Buzz never mentioned the Achilles tendon.  If he is having Achilles tendon surgery, that is a serious deal.  I had it, and it took me months and months to fully recover, and acutally it still bothers me 25 years later.

I hope this is not the case.  Buzz talked about a tendown on the side of the foot (on each sid eof the ankle).

You are correct.  Buzz did NOT mention the achilles but the tendons down the side of the foot.  That was my tired mind confusing things.

Anyway, from Buzz's comments I was left witht he impression that surgery is not an option.  I also talked to Cottingham about it personally and he said that surgery was not being considered.

Those that are saying he will have surgery are making things up.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 06:15:24 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
That's an interesting perception.  I would agree with him that the person that takes the most free throws is the toughest player, not sure I would agree that they are the best free throw shooters. 

Buzz also said that no coach he worked under ever practiced free throws.  Not sure if Crean was included in that mix. 

He also said it in such a way that it is commonplace for teams not to practice free throws.

He said that free throw shooting is 100% mental and practicing the mechanics does not help the mental aspect since their is no way to recreate game situations in practice so don't bother.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 07:24:52 AM »
Buzz also said that no coach he worked under ever practiced free throws.  Not sure if Crean was included in that mix. 

He also said it in such a way that it is commonplace for teams not to practice free throws.

He said that free throw shooting is 100% mental and practicing the mechanics does not help the mental aspect since their is no way to recreate game situations in practice so don't bother.

why even answer the clown...has he ever been to a basketball practice of any level?...the only time i have ever seen free throws parctced is at about the third grade level....never seen them parcticed dring the course of an AAU, HS, or collge level practice....also considering the source = Buzz does not practice free hrows must be bad.....Crean does not parctice free threows= revolutionary more evidence as to why he is such a great coach

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »
Does not speak well of Dominic James' toughness then.

Buzz is off base on this-----FT shooting has mechanical applications that can be improved upon with proper
form instruction & reps-----toughness is part of it too especially in crucial situations were a FT plays heavily on a games outcome-----confidence is another part of it, but confidence only comes after successful experience in a particular skill.

Not to practice FTs is like not practicing any other BB skill------one might be able to maintain expertise by not practicing a skill-----but not likely to improve and the possibility of regression is high (DJ).

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 09:07:16 AM »
I think the case of DJ should have been addressed, but if a player feels that he needs work on his free throws who is anyone to stop him from practicing them aside from practice.

I vaguely remember a story about Steve Novak shooting in the gym all night long after a bad shooting game. Players that take their performance to heart will practice their ft's if need be. Are people expecting them to play knockout or something..
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 09:35:23 AM »
I remember reading that DJ practiced his free throws a ton on the side, even one night after a bad ft shooting game, practicing at the Bradley Center for awhile. So I don't think he didn't put in the work, he just wasn't able to convert it to the games.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »
Murf - you know he doesn't mean free throws shouldn't be practiced.  He said it several times last year, he wants the players to practice them ON THEIR OWN TIME.  The reason?  The NCAA has rules about how much time a coach can be with his team in the gym.  He doesn't want to waste any of that time watching the team stand around shooting FT's.  He wants to work on things like the offense, help defense, etc.  You know - things a coach actually needs to be there for.  He stated that he expects them to work on FT's on their own time.  If they're not, they're doing themselves and the team a disservice.

You know this, yet you choose to ignore it and rant anyway.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 09:43:02 AM »
I remember reading that DJ practiced his free throws a ton on the side, even one night after a bad ft shooting game, practicing at the Bradley Center for awhile. So I don't think he didn't put in the work, he just wasn't able to convert it to the games.

I stand corrected cheebs you are right, I think they just questioned DJ's release which I hear Novak has practiced w/DJ on his release this offseason
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »
Murf - you know he doesn't mean free throws shouldn't be practiced.  He said it several times last year, he wants the players to practice them ON THEIR OWN TIME.  The reason?  The NCAA has rules about how much time a coach can be with his team in the gym.  He doesn't want to waste any of that time watching the team stand around shooting FT's.  He wants to work on things like the offense, help defense, etc.  You know - things a coach actually needs to be there for.  He stated that he expects them to work on FT's on their own time.  If they're not, they're doing themselves and the team a disservice.

I think this is closest to the truth. I known managers on the team that always said the No-FT strategy is ps and he has players shooting all time. Whether it is actually in practice is another story, but he definitely has his players practice free throws.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 12:03:33 PM »

I guess Buzz never worked for Coach K, Bob Knight, John Wooden, etc. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 12:04:49 PM »
Murf - you know he doesn't mean free throws shouldn't be practiced.  He said it several times last year, he wants the players to practice them ON THEIR OWN TIME.  The reason?  The NCAA has rules about how much time a coach can be with his team in the gym.  He doesn't want to waste any of that time watching the team stand around shooting FT's.  He wants to work on things like the offense, help defense, etc.  You know - things a coach actually needs to be there for.  He stated that he expects them to work on FT's on their own time.  If they're not, they're doing themselves and the team a disservice.

I get why Buzz does it, makes sense with the limited amount of time dedicated to practices.  But it does seem interesting to me that some of the top programs in the country, with the SAME limited practice times, still use it as a point of emphasis and practice it

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 12:30:13 PM »
I guess Buzz never worked for Coach K, Bob Knight, John Wooden, etc. 

Did these programs have a higher FT% than the rest of the country?