Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Open Gym Report: Back To School edition  (Read 7986 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Open Gym Report: Back To School edition
« on: September 02, 2009, 02:15:03 AM »
Open Gym Report: Back To School edition

The fall semester officially opened on Monday at MU, and what better way than to celebrate with some hoops?

While coach Buzz Williams said over the weekend that he won't begin putting his players through individual workouts -- as is now allowed by NCAA rules -- until they've gone through four days' worth of classes, that doesn't mean that there's been no action at the Al McGuire Center.

In fact, there was plenty going on in the Kasten Gym after classes had let out for the day -- most notably open gym.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/56706117.html

muarmy81

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Open Gym Report: Back To School edition
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 06:03:54 AM »
Is it October yet?

Man, if O'Tule can keep some of that confidence and give us a solid 20-25 minutes we could surprise a few teams.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 06:26:29 AM »
Nice article, very upbeat, but....

Is Fulce ever going to recover from his knee issues.  How long do things like this heal, or do they ever?  Even Todd wrote that the next few weeks will determine if his career will continue.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:38:28 AM »

Is Fulce ever going to recover from his knee issues.  How long do things like this heal, or do they ever?  Even Todd wrote that the next few weeks will determine if his career will continue.

It's a good thing we are relatively deep at that position with Williams and Maymon.  Williams wasn't mentioned in the article though.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 06:49:37 AM »

If Buzz oversigns for the 2010 class, I think that will give us an idea as to the health of JF...

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »
Good to see Buzz emphasize school with no practice this week.  Lets the new players acclimate and set their priorities.  Also wish to thank DJ, Wes and Jerel for helping out and showing the newcomers what Marquette basketball is all about.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 07:42:17 AM »
Buzz will oversign his 2010 class.   I would bet a moderate sum on it.   We need Fulce for depth, even if he is the 5th forward on the team.    I also see the return of Acker as a hedge against JF not being able to contribute this year.    It sure is good to see that Otule is playing big and playing hard.  (that sounded different in my head).    He doesn't have to dominate this year, but we do need him to compete and not get blown up every game. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 07:46:07 AM »
Great news about Otule!  If he can even compare to Barro from this point on, we just might be alright, especially with a 7'2 guy (raw as he may be at the moment, but that's to be expected) backing him up.

I'm also very glad to hear that DJ, JM, and WM are back in town!  Very nice to hear DJ is still leading by example and I'm sure Junior is benefiting from his leadership.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 07:52:53 AM »
Otule and DJO will likely go pro after this season so Buzz should sign two extra players.  If each continues their stellar play in open gym then I don't see how the NBA could keep them down!!!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 07:57:02 AM »
Otule and DJO will likely go pro after this season so Buzz should sign two extra players.  If each continues their stellar play in open gym then I don't see how the NBA could keep them down!!!

You forgot the teal color, right?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 08:32:21 AM »
You forgot the teal color, right?

Maybe it's the same guy who posted the first comment on Rosiak's blog?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 09:04:41 AM »
MU's intramural basketball champions would have their way with this year's team.    ;D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:09:09 AM by TomW1365 »

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 11:00:47 AM »
Great news about Otule!  If he can even compare to Barro from this point on, we just might be alright, especially with a 7'2 guy (raw as he may be at the moment, but that's to be expected) backing him up.

I'm also very glad to hear that DJ, JM, and WM are back in town!  Very nice to hear DJ is still leading by example and I'm sure Junior is benefiting from his leadership.

I wonder how much Otule learned from banging with Jackson earlier this summer?
I think it is incredible for the young players to go up against former players of the program.  And although it is only open gym you cannot discount the knowledge by osmosis when you play with people like that.

I think that Junior and the other guards will benifit from playing against and with the big three, albeit for only one open gym.  It shows them on the court what they see on tv games and videos-the intensity (James diving), the quickness and skillset needed for playing in a highly competitive league.
Marquette University, Spring '08

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 11:16:33 AM »
Rosiak:
"One more thing: check back later tomorrow for an update on The Big Three. Each has an interesting story heading into the fall as they pursue their professional aspirations."

Nice little tease for the next blog.  Rosiak went Mike & Mike in the Morning on us. 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »
Otule will be significantly better this year than he was last year will be even better next year.  That is how bigs progress.  Look at the career of Ooze he got better every year was forced to play as a fresh and soph before he was ready becuase the last joker of a coach refused to sign bigs.  Mbao will be lost this year just as Otule was last year, just as hibbert and Grey were as Freshman, but by their Junior years they are ready to be counted on.  Sign a big every year and you have a sophomore ans freshman as works in progress and a senior and junior as contributors.  Retard Crean could not grasp that. Buzz Knows it.  do to cream there is no junior or senior in the program in another year or two the cupboard will be full of bigs. 

Buzz gets it.

Crean lots of pomp and circumstance not much on the results.  oh wait dwade and 2003 mantra

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 12:05:15 PM »
Otule will be significantly better this year than he was last year will be even better next year.  That is how bigs progress.  Look at the career of Ooze he got better every year was forced to play as a fresh and soph before he was ready

becuase (sic) the last joker of a coach refused to sign bigs. 

Mbao will be lost this year just as Otule was last year, just as hibbert and Grey were as Freshman, but by their Junior years they are ready to be counted on.  Sign a big every year and you have a sophomore ans freshman as works in progress and a senior and junior as contributors. 

Retard Crean could not grasp that. Buzz Knows it.  do to cream there is no junior or senior in the program in another year or two the cupboard will be full of bigs. 

Buzz gets it.

Crean lots of pomp and circumstance not much on the results.  oh wait dwade and 2003 mantra

Edited for clarity, flow, spelling and needless bitterness.

Oh, also, +1.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 12:21:49 PM »

Thanks for doing that.  He almost sucked me in with that troll.  Your response certainly is more succinct (and effective) than anything I would have written.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 12:22:45 PM »

Oh, also, +1.

Is it just me or does Hayward roll 2 dice to see what grade level his next post will be written as? Sometimes the guy has very insightful, non-biased posts, and then other times this happens.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 12:51:22 PM »
Thanks for doing that.  He almost sucked me in with that troll.  Your response certainly is more succinct (and effective) than anything I would have written.

No problem.

The meat of the post is good (bravo Hayward), but the other stuff is really just inciting a riot / thread-jack.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 01:25:53 PM »
Is it just me or does Hayward roll 2 dice to see what grade level his next post will be written as? Sometimes the guy has very insightful, non-biased posts, and then other times this happens.

are you saying this thread was not insightful?

and I only bring up Cream becuase i have read numerous posts that reference should we really be bringing in another big when we already have otule and Mbao?  i think that thinking is warped or effected by the fact that after 9 years of almost zero bigs that we are shocked by the prospect of actually signing one or more a year.  In fact it has been widely documented that Crean and Buzz fought over offering otule a scholarship and that Crean finally acquiesed.
  I bring up gegrgetown and Pittsburgh becuase they like Wisconsin seem to bring in a big every single year.  Pitt and Wisconsin less heralded than gergetowns but those 3 schools have a big that is bigger, more polished and typically more seasoned than us every single year for the last 10 years. 

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 01:41:11 PM »
  In fact it has been widely documented that Crean and Buzz fought over offering otule a scholarship and that Crean finally acquiesed.

Wait, this is the first time I've ever heard this.  Can it be verified (besides hearsay on forum bulletin boards)?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »

and I only bring up Cream becuase (spelling) i have read numerous posts that reference should we really be bringing in another big when we already have otule and Mbao?  i think that thinking is warped or effected by the fact that after 9 years of almost zero bigs that we are shocked by the prospect of actually signing one or more a year.  In fact it has been widely documented that Crean and Buzz fought over offering otule a scholarship and that Crean finally acquiesed.

I bring up Georgetown (spelling)  and Pittsburgh because (spelling) they, like Wisconsin seem to bring in a big every single year.  Pitt and Wisconsin less heralded than Georgetown's (spelling) but those 3 schools have a big that is bigger, more polished and typically more seasoned than us every single year for the last 10 years.  

Edited for flow, spelling, paragraphs, and wild speculation.

However, +1 again, Hayward. Well done, sir.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:35:19 PM by 2002mualum »

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »

and I only bring up Cream becuase i have read numerous posts that reference should we really be bringing in another big when we already have otule and Mbao?  i think that thinking is warped or effected by the fact that after 9 years of almost zero bigs that we are shocked by the prospect of actually signing one or more a year.  In fact it has been widely documented that Crean and Buzz fought over offering otule a scholarship and that Crean finally acquiesed.
  I bring up gegrgetown and Pittsburgh becuase they like Wisconsin seem to bring in a big every single year.  Pitt and Wisconsin less heralded than gergetowns but those 3 schools have a big that is bigger, more polished and typically more seasoned than us every single year for the last 10 years. 

Hayward, I agree with your premise - bring in one post player a year and let him develop.  Then when you have a developed junior and senior, you have a freshman and sophomore waiting in the wings.

HOWEVER, Buzz vs. Crean re: Otule happened exactly the opposite.  In a press conference earlier this year, Buzz said he told Crean he didn't think Otule was any good, and then Buzz told Otule that if he was the head coach he wouldn't be offering Otule a scholarship.  I remember it like it was yesterday, because I was shocked a head coach would say that about a player on his current roster.  Maybe it was a case of Buzz being blunt to a player for motivation, or maybe he was exaggerating at the press conference, but he clearly stated that Crean wanted Otule and Buzz wanted nothing to do with him.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
Edited for flow, spelling, paragraphs, and wild speculation.

However, +1 again, Hayward. Well done, sir.

where did you place in grammar rodeo?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 02:46:52 PM »
where did you place in grammar rodeo?

I ended up not going to the grammar rodeo and instead went to the World's Fair.