'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Open Gym Report: Back To School edition  (Read 7985 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Open Gym Report: Back To School edition
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »
where did you place in grammar rodeo?

*sigh*

Fine, Hards. Haryward's grammar is fantastic. I'll never mention it again, cool?

His commentary about the previous coach however, is not applicable in this thread. That was my point.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »
Hayward, I agree with your premise - bring in one post player a year and let him develop.  Then when you have a developed junior and senior, you have a freshman and sophomore waiting in the wings.

HOWEVER, Buzz vs. Crean re: Otule happened exactly the opposite.  In a press conference earlier this year, Buzz said he told Crean he didn't think Otule was any good, and then Buzz told Otule that if he was the head coach he wouldn't be offering Otule a scholarship.  I remember it like it was yesterday, because I was shocked a head coach would say that about a player on his current roster.  Maybe it was a case of Buzz being blunt to a player for motivation, or maybe he was exaggerating at the press conference, but he clearly stated that Crean wanted Otule and Buzz wanted nothing to do with him.

ready2fly i think you are confused.  I have read it in a number of cases sadly i dont recall where.   what i read was buzz was very high on him and Crean did not think he had what it took to play at this level.  Buzz personally vouched for him and asked for the latitude to offer the kid, to which Crean aquiesed.   I have heard that like i said a few times. 

lets put this to the BS test....which is more likely....Buzz wants to sign a BIG from TEXAS  or Crean wants to sign a big from texas. 

assitants locate and develop initial contact with recruits but Crean wanted to sign a guy that Buzz located and developed a relation ship but Buzz did not.  assistants dont bring prospects to the attention of the coach that they dont think are any good. 

BS test fails

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 03:33:10 PM »
Hayward, I agree with most of your posts, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  I even agree with you on 90% of things re: Buzz vs. Crean.  However, unless I heard him wrong in the interview or Buzz misspoke, he did not want to sign Otule but Crean did. 

Let's put this to the recruiting style test:

Late in the game, after whiffing on several bigs, the HC takes a flyer on a completely off the radar project.

Does that sound more like Buzz or Crean?  I'll try to find the interview if I can.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
Buzz was recruiting Otule when he was at UNO, just like Fulce.  From what I remember, he pretty much brought both of them gift wrapped for Crean.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
And, Otule was not signed late in the game. I believe he and his father visited around Midnight Madness and commited the same weekend. They ate dinner with db at the Chop House at the downtown Hilton. Sorry, Hay's argument holds
more sweet tea.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 04:27:27 PM »
Buzz was recruiting Otule when he was at UNO, just like Fulce.  From what I remember, he pretty much brought both of them gift wrapped for Crean.

I have absolutely no recollection either way on this one, but your comment makes me think of a plausable scenario where it was Crean -- and not Buzz -- who wanted Otule.  When Buzz starts, Crean asks who he was recruiting at UNO.  Buzz identifies several UNO prospects, including Otule.  Crean asks about them and Buzz says that Otule was a good prospect for UNO and the Sun Belt, but not for Marquette and the Big East.  Crean, who as we've heard had some trouble landing bigs, is interested in Otule.

I don't know if this is the way things went down, but I personally think this passes the BS test.  Incidentally, I also think that Buzz personally vouching for Otule passes the BS test and honestly is the more logical scenario.  I don't know either way.  I'll be curious to see if either Hayward or R2F come up with anything to support their recollection of events.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 05:09:26 PM »
And, Otule was not signed late in the game. I believe he and his father visited around Midnight Madness and commited the same weekend. They ate dinner with db at the Chop House at the downtown Hilton. Sorry, Hay's argument holds
more sweet tea.

I think you are thinking of Erik Williams that committed after midnight madness. Otule did commit on the day of a game because I remember him walking past the student section before a game the day that he committed. At least that's how I remember it. I can't remember which game it was, but I feel it was non conference.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 06:28:42 PM »
I think you are thinking of Erik Williams that committed after midnight madness. Otule did commit on the day of a game because I remember him walking past the student section before a game the day that he committed. At least that's how I remember it. I can't remember which game it was, but I feel it was non conference.

The handy-dandy MUScoop search function works pretty well.  It appears that Otule committed on November 4, 2007.  Marquette played an exhibition against Northern State that night.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »
I, then, will also stand erected.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"