Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU has Third Highest Basketball Budget of all Teams  (Read 21039 times)

texaswarrior74

• All American
MU has Third Highest Basketball Budget of all Teams
« on: August 29, 2009, 11:22:11 AM »
Did I miss something along the way that explains this? They say they are 2008 numbers so does this reflect the last year of TC?

http://www.bbstate.com/info/schools-hoopsbudget

Oh and look at Duke.....talk about an outlier.....and a bad ROI as of late.

Marquette84

• All American
Re: MU has Third Highest Basketball Budget of all Teams
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:46:22 AM »
Did I miss something along the way that explains this? They say they are 2008 numbers so does this reflect the last year of TC?

http://www.bbstate.com/info/schools-hoopsbudget

Oh and look at Duke.....talk about an outlier.....and a bad ROI as of late.

Are you sure this is based on calendar year and not season?  2008 was Crean's last season.  2009 was Buzz's first.  We're heading into 2010.  If that's the basis, than this number does reflect Crean's salary.

And here's something interesting--Crean made about $1.6 mil, Buzz about 600K.  Take the $1 million difference out of MU's spending, and we only drop from 3rd to 5th.  

There are a host of other points that makes these numbers almost worthless for comparison.  The bottom line is that we don't really know  how the programs allocate costs.  

Is MU's rent for the BC included?  Is there a comparable allocation for Xavier's or SLU's "rent" of their own on-campus facility?  Or is that buried in the school's physical plant budget?  

How does MU allocate Cottingham's salary compared to the AD expenses for a football school like Kansas or Kentucky.  

Does the school incorporate tuition expense into the sports budget at full list price?  13 scholies at $38,776 (MU's estimated annual cost) is half a mil.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 12:32:25 PM »
Are hyperbaric chambers, taekwondo, and midnight limo rides included as well?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 12:49:59 PM »
Are you sure this is based on calendar year and not season?  2008 was Crean's last season.  2009 was Buzz's first.  We're heading into 2010.  If that's the basis, than this number does reflect Crean's salary.

And here's something interesting--Crean made about $1.6 mil, Buzz about 600K.  Take the $1 million difference out of MU's spending, and we only drop from 3rd to 5th.  

There are a host of other points that makes these numbers almost worthless for comparison.  The bottom line is that we don't really know  how the programs allocate costs.  

Is MU's rent for the BC included?  Is there a comparable allocation for Xavier's or SLU's "rent" of their own on-campus facility?  Or is that buried in the school's physical plant budget?  

How does MU allocate Cottingham's salary compared to the AD expenses for a football school like Kansas or Kentucky.  

Does the school incorporate tuition expense into the sports budget at full list price?  13 scholies at $38,776 (MU's estimated annual cost) is half a mil.

All important points.  My question is where have you seen Buzz's salary at $600k?  I've seen it higher which is why I ask.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »
4ever, you forgot the tanning salon costs.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 01:43:43 PM »
Well these numbers are worthless unless you have revenue numbers; which in 2006-2007 was 10.8m....so is it safe to say that number has risen?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »
How do booster clubs and the money they raise affect this number?

I see Cuse, UConn, Nova, and Pitt are lower than we are (esp the last two)...are there alternative sources of funding that help lower their numbers?

I wonder if ongoing costs of the AL (and the new offices) affect MU's number.

Also, I don't think the Bradley Center's lease should affect it that much as about 50% of the BE play in non-campus courts.
SS Marquette

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:48:34 PM »
I hope we are always serious and dedicated to the basketball program.  Let's hope we have the success and financial ability to keep it up for a long time

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »
SJS...Buzzard makes 1.1.

How out of touch are you?

Now folks have long said you're hopelessly uninformed but I have always said you only seem uninformed when you open your mouth.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 12:06:04 AM »
I hope we are always serious and dedicated to the basketball program.  Let's hope we have the success and financial ability to keep it up for a long time

+1.  I take this number as a positive sign that we're willing to back our program, and hope we continue to be near the top of this list.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 12:41:06 AM »
I have to wonder if there are costs that MU has that get thrown under "basketball operating costs" that aren't there for other schools because of the presence of a football team.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 12:56:38 AM »
I have to wonder if there are costs that MU has that get thrown under "basketball operating costs" that aren't there for other schools because of the presence of a football team.

Absolutely.  Some schools use athletic budgets to pay for athletic facilities while others put those under general plant costs or what have you.  There is so much variability from one school to the next.  At IU we did a study of this just among the 11 Big Ten schools and the disparity of how each school attributed costs was amazing. 

Simply put, don't believe the numbers

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 11:44:11 AM »
The men's basketball program is our biggest means for national name recognition for the entire school.  I am glad we are spending like we are and would not mind seeing it increase.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 01:18:27 PM »
The men's basketball program is our biggest means for national name recognition for the entire school.  I am glad we are spending like we are and would not mind seeing it increase.

+2,000,000

On the Wisconsin taxpayers' dime, of course. :)

- MU Alum in CA
SS Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
Does that include Jack Harbaugh's salary?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 04:33:39 PM »
All that money, how come we can't land a top big?

I'm surprised Marquette is 3rd, especially with our lack of success in the post season.  Love that we have the money, and the program is well maintained, don't let us ever fall to DePaul level(88)

Looking at these, schools like Butler(133) and Gonzaga(93) impress me even more.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 05:56:55 PM »
SJS...Buzzard makes 1.1.

Nice, classy correction.

Then again, nobody has ever confused you for a guy with class.

But let's go ahead and assume you are right--a questionable assumption given both your track record, and your lack of any evidence or link. 

Based on that assumption, the irony here is that you provide data that makes my point even stronger--that there is even less reason to blame the high spending on Crean.

So thank you for the correction--even if you can't provide it without coming across like a total ass.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 07:46:28 AM »
Holy high strung, batman.  "Buzzard" isn't so bad. 

I don't mind MU spending that dough.   If it was reported that MU was spending $2-3m on marketing the school, no one would bat an eyelash.  Spending on success for our BBall program is money well spent.  (Plus, of course, it's not really spending as it is funding all other sports.)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 12:27:27 PM »
Nice, classy correction.

Then again, nobody has ever confused you for a guy with class.

But let's go ahead and assume you are right--a questionable assumption given both your track record, and your lack of any evidence or link. 

Based on that assumption, the irony here is that you provide data that makes my point even stronger--that there is even less reason to blame the high spending on Crean.

So thank you for the correction--even if you can't provide it without coming across like a total ass.

What is my track record, in terms of accuracy, SJS?  I would like you to document the last 5 times I have been wrong factually...ready, set, go!  Come Mr. Google...do it!!!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
What is my track record, in terms of accuracy, SJS? 

I don't need to go back and find five--I can start right here with this thread, where you used an unsubstantiated claim, then launched into personal insults.

My challenge to you--can you provide a link to support your $1.1 million claim or not?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 01:49:24 PM »
I don't need to go back and find five--I can start right here with this thread, where you used an unsubstantiated claim, then launched into personal insults.

My challenge to you--can you provide a link to support your $1.1 million claim or not?

From the JS:
When Marquette named Williams to replace Crean, Williams' salary was not disclosed. However, sources say Williams is being paid between $800,000 to $1 million a year.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 02:34:17 PM »
From the JS:

So that link would mean $1.1 million is wrong.   ;D

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 02:54:55 PM »
And you can break down the total compensation so MANY ways...

How much is MU paying him, how much is from camps, talk shows, endorsements, etc.....

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »
Indeed!  I'll bet the Buzz Show on Time Warner Sports Channel is paying him DOZENS of dollars.

That's enough for many many sweet teas.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 04:36:15 PM »
I thought I had heard 1.16 million.

Here's something from MUScoop found via Google, but it doesn't have a source:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8658.40;wap

And here's something with an actual link with 7 million over 6 years, ie 1.16 million:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8655.0

Edit:But, yeah, maybe you're right, maybe DKCL is just an a$$hole. Who is the one throwing out the insults?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:40:33 PM by warrior07 »

feedback