'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU has Third Highest Basketball Budget of all Teams  (Read 21038 times)

Marquette84

• All American
Re: MU has Third Highest Basketball Budget of all Teams
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 05:13:45 PM »
My understanding is that the first year base was 600K and change.

That did not include the repayment of UNO's buyout (300K)--which may or may not have been paid by MU depending on who you speak with.

If you combine the 600K base with the 300K buyout, that's certainly inside in the 800 to 1000 range for first year.  Its in line with what I said, but also close enough to what Lens said if you include the UNO buyout (although certainly not enough reason for him to be such a jerk about it).

Fifteen posts later, the underlying point hasn't changed--MU's basketball budget was not large due to Tom Crean's salary--its large because MU has decided to make it large combined with some likely accounting decisions around facilities/rent/tuition etc.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:22:36 PM by Marquette84 »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 09:33:57 PM »
SJS, I probably didn't need to insult you but IMO you tend to carry yourself with a certain smugness that begs for people to take shots at you, which I so immaturely did.

My apologies.  I need to make a better effort of letting it go. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

chapman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »
Remembering an argument from at least a year and a half ago, wasn't Buzz's salary as an assistant 600k?  I remember it being brought up by some here as being very high for an assistant's salary, but can't remember what the exact figure was.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »
My understanding is that the first year base was 600K and change.

That did not include the repayment of UNO's buyout (300K)--which may or may not have been paid by MU depending on who you speak with.

If you combine the 600K base with the 300K buyout, that's certainly inside in the 800 to 1000 range for first year.  Its in line with what I said, but also close enough to what Lens said if you include the UNO buyout (although certainly not enough reason for him to be such a jerk about it).

Fifteen posts later, the underlying point hasn't changed--MU's basketball budget was not large due to Tom Crean's salary--its large because MU has decided to make it large combined with some likely accounting decisions around facilities/rent/tuition etc.

Exactly.  There is only so much you can do to really make a budget large.  Coaching salaries are one thing....extra travel is another.

But my guess is that most of this is due to such accounting decisions - my guess is that scholarships, part of the depreciation on the McGuire Center, and Bradley Center rent is charged to mens's basketball. 

Really the only two things that have substantially changed for MU basketball budget-wise in the last 20 years are coaching salaries and a new facility.  Outside of that, you still have 13 guys on scholarship playing basketball in the Bradley Center.  I'm sure there are other increases here and there, but I'm not sure how "substantial" those are.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 08:00:58 AM »
Remembering an argument from at least a year and a half ago, wasn't Buzz's salary as an assistant 600k?  I remember it being brought up by some here as being very high for an assistant's salary, but can't remember what the exact figure was.
I think he was making 300K as an assistant. We were forced to grossly overpay assistants and hire radioactives (Rabineaux) under the previous regime -- although I'm not going to go as far to say Buzz was a bad hire. He was obviously a well qualified assistant and has done a better job than I thought he would as head coach.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »
Small detail, but we are a Mid West team playing teams on the East Coast, that adds to travel expenses.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 12:47:25 PM »
TC's salary was never the final nail so to speak, it was the blank check he got for operating the program.  But hey, I'm glad we could give him that blank check.  It's MU's best investment.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 08:00:04 PM »
Spending that much money at #3, we should be challenging for the NCAA championship most years!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 09:21:55 PM »
Spending that much money at #3, we should be challenging for the NCAA championship most years!

Glad you said it.  I would be interested in seeing what our operating expenses were in 2003 vs 2008.  Seems like we used to do more with less.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 09:28:10 PM »
Regardless I appreciate the MU administration "putting their money where their mouth is" and go full out for a winner.   Makes me stay motivated to give money to the program (however modest that sum is currently).

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2009, 08:41:28 AM »
Regardless I appreciate the MU administration "putting their money where their mouth is" and go full out for a winner.    Makes me stay motivated to give money to the program (however modest that sum is currently).

+ 1

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 09:38:40 AM »
Revenue for all sports $23+ mill, what % is BB
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2009, 09:50:06 AM »
Revenue for all sports $23+ mill, what % is BB

If it's like it was when I was there, 99.2% from men's bb.   Women's hoops brings in a little revenue with a few dollars coming in for soccer and volleyball.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 09:53:40 AM »
As of last year, 95 to 97% came from basketball, once you factor in ancillary revenues.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/07/more-ticketing-questions-q-with-mike.html

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jayswia

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »
It is crazy that these guys bring in so much money and don't get paid.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 10:41:03 AM »
They do get paid.

classof70

• Team Captain
Basketball Budget Duke 1 MU 2 but
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2010, 02:37:34 PM »
Maybe this has been posted and I missed it.  Anyway.....from Yahoo Sports

Duke's $13.87 million annual budget was by far the largest, more than $3 million higher than second-place Marquette and at least twice as much as 330 of the 346 Division I schools. On the other hand, Mississippi spent the least on basketball at a mere $2.5 million per year.

It's always difficult to know how accurate data like this is because not every school shares the same accounting practices so they will place certain expenditures under different categories. Furthermore, a one-year window isn't always representative of a school's typical annual basketball budget because expenses like buyouts for a previous staff can skew it higher than normal.

As a result, those caveats are worth keeping in mind as you read through this list of the five schools getting the least bang for their buck based on Fanhouse's 2008-09 figures:

1. Virginia ($7.18 million, 12th)

Comment: It's surprising that Virginia would be the 12th-highest spender in college basketball considering that the Cavaliers have only finished above .500 in ACC play once since 2002. Ten of the 11 teams that have spent more than Virgina have been to a Final Four since 2003 and the other is Kentucky, which fell one win short last season.

2. Rice ($4.63 million, 45th)

Comment: If you had 20 guesses for which programs were the three biggest basketball spenders among non-BCS schools, chances are that Rice would not have been among them. The Owls have won a combined five Conference USA games in the past three seasons and haven't finished above .500 since 2005.   

3. Marquette ($10.30 million, 2nd)

Comment: The Golden Eagles have been a perennial NCAA tournament team for the past decade and even reached the Final Four in 2003, but their budget suggests they should be enjoying even greater success. They haven't won a Big East title or made the Sweet 16 since Dwyane Wade's final season in 2003. Perhaps this figure includes capital improvements expenses such as debt from the construction of the Al McGuire Center? 

4. Indiana ($6.94 million, 15th)

Comment: Indiana's budget is in line with its basketball pedigree but not with its results of late. Not only have the Hoosiers lost 20-plus games the past two years as they try to dig their way out of the Kelvin Sampson fiasco, they also haven't advanced past the second round of the NCAA tournament since 2002.

5. Georgia ($6.29 million, 19th)

Comment: Next season could be a special one for Mark Fox's Georgia program, but the Bulldogs' recent results haven't lived up to their surprisingly high top-20 budget. Georgia hasn't finished above .500 since 2007 and its only NCAA tournament appearance in the past eight years was because of an out-of-nowhere SEC tournament run in 2008.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
Re: Basketball Budget Duke 1 MU 2 but
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2010, 02:40:37 PM »
Marquette has no football team.

Even Rice and Indiana spent more on their football team last year than their basketball teams.

burger

• All American
Re: Basketball Budget Duke 1 MU 2 but
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »
Marquette inclusive in this budget spends between 20 and 40% of this budget on rent for the Bradley Center.....

This is not apples to apples......

This has been discussed at length before......

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 08:24:54 AM »
Yep, discussed and debunked .. 5 or 6 times.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 10:34:43 PM »
It is crazy that these guys bring in so much money and don't get paid.

No it's not.  The other 13 sports lose money at Marquette.  If you pay the basketball players, then you have to pay the women's volleyball team and the women's soccer team....and that means Marquette intercollegiate sports is officially over...FOREVER.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2010, 07:52:12 AM »
No it's not.  The other 13 sports lose money at Marquette.  If you pay the basketball players, then you have to pay the women's volleyball team and the women's soccer team....and that means Marquette intercollegiate sports is officially over...FOREVER.

As long as Title IX is enforced, yes, that's the scenario.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2010, 09:25:31 AM »

Seems like MU sports are just about dead in comparison to others...lowest of all the Big 6 conference schools in the Directors' Cup...really need to up our game in light of all this conference realignment talk.  Being a one trick pony not gonna make it in the future as you have pointed out quite clearly.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1099809

Total standings:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/d1final.pdf

bma725

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »
Seems like MU sports are just about dead in comparison to others...lowest of all the Big 6 conference schools in the Directors' Cup...really need to up our game in light of all this conference realignment talk.  Being a one trick pony not gonna make it in the future as you have pointed out quite clearly.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1099809

Total standings:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/d1final.pdf

Yeah it's not good, but the Director's Cup isn't the best judge for a school like Marquette.  We have 12 sports teams, and the Director's Cup is based upon up to 20 sports teams.  The schools with a lot of sports don't even have to count their worst ones, whereas MU has 8 spots it's not even using.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
Yeah it's not good, but the Director's Cup isn't the best judge for a school like Marquette.  We have 12 sports teams, and the Director's Cup is based upon up to 20 sports teams.  The schools with a lot of sports don't even have to count their worst ones, whereas MU has 8 spots it's not even using.

That was more along what I was thinking that I left unsaid...absence of teams vs. actual team performance.  Thanks