[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

If you had the 1st pick in the NBA Draft, who would you select?

Greg Oden (OSU)
14 (45.2%)
Kevin Durant (Texas)
17 (54.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Oden or Durant?  (Read 4115 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Oden or Durant?
« on: February 01, 2007, 09:10:10 AM »
I don't know if college basketball has EVER had two players, dominate the landscape of basketball as freshmen, the way these two guys have this year.

After watching Durant's game last night against T.Tech, I was blown away.  I don't know if there's even a player in the NBA who can jump, run, block, hit jumpers, dribble, and knock down the 3-ball, like Mr. Durant.  His game will only improve as he puts more muscle/lbs on his frame.

Durant last night: 37 points, 23 rebounds (5 for 9 from downtown for a 6'9" power forward!?!?)

On the otherside of the spectrum, you have manchild, Greg Oden.  Heralded as a player that could've been the #1 pick after his junior year in high school.  He clearly is the best center prospect coming out of college since Shaq (maybe Timmy Duncan).  His numbers are slightly deflated because he often faces triple teams, and he's still shooting with his off-hand because of his right wrist injury.  Oden's greatest impact this year has been on the defensive side of the ball.  He basically eliminates the effectiveness of the opponents big man, and alters more shots then anybody in the college game.

Pts.   Rebs   Blks   FG%
Oden   15.2   9.5     3.5   .638   

Durant  25.0  11.6    1.7  .488  .383 3pt FG%

My vote for #1 would go to Oden, based alone on his potential and the idea that his game will translate better for the NBA. 

Enjoy watching these guys in college, because chances are that we won't see anyone like these kids for quite sometime.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Oden or Durant?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 10:32:28 AM »
I don't know if college basketball has EVER had two players, dominate the landscape of basketball as freshmen, the way these two guys have this year.

You're probably going to start seeing it more often.  This is happening because of the new rule that requires a minimum age (or it it minimum post-high school experience?) before being eligible for the NBA draft.

Odds are, if he had graduated from high school a year earlier, Oden would have gone straight to the pro ranks a la lebron, bryant, etc.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 11:11:43 AM »
I know that there was much pub about Oden and he certainly has been a force for Ohio State.  But I don't think his presence compares to what Durant is doing for Texas.  His numbers have been incredible - I don't recall the last time a college player exploded on the scene like this.  I think its impossible to ignore his production at such a young age and I would definitely take him #1.  Odens offense has been a bit of a disappointment.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:19:49 PM »
Oden is the best pure big in college since Shaq.   But Durant is Kevin Garnett.   Strong cases could be made for both.   I would happily take either at MU.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 12:25:25 PM »
For the NBA, it has to be Oden as he will be a difference maker.  The NBA has a lot of Durant's.  True bigs that win championships are far and few between.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 12:31:51 PM »
Interesting debate.  Watching Durant last night, he reminded me of Wade - a guy at the college level that can score at will in every way imaginable - 3pt, post up, baby hook, mid range jumper.  It's crazy - he gets in a groove and can hit anything.  Sure he's susceptible to a bad night, but who isn't.

So then I ask myself, would I rather have Oden or the next great guard?  Of course, I'm biased, but I'd take the latter.  Sure there's a lack of athletic big men in college, but I think Oden could easily get lost in the NBA.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 12:34:18 PM »
Oden may be 35 years old, so Durant seems to have a much higher ceiling.  Just an opinion, but Durant is the better, more impactful player five years from now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 12:53:05 PM »
I am a fan of both.  Before anointing Durant as being better, remember that Oden is doing what he is doing one-handed, with his off hand.   If Oden had two good hands right now, I am relatively certain his numbers, as well as OSU's overall record, would be better.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 12:55:56 PM »
Remember too that Oden has a much better team around him that doesn't need him to produce as much as Texas needs Durant to put up the numbers.  If I were a GM I'd probably go with Oden, but if I were a fan looking to go watch an exciting basketball player every night I'd go with Durant.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 01:22:46 PM »
Isn't Durant 6'9''?  Is he still growing?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

MUCHI814

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 07:42:16 PM »
I take Durant, personally I think he will become a bigger impact player than Oden and probably quicker than Oden too.

State

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 07:56:22 PM »
Wondering...Oden would have been #1 pick out of high school if eligible, correct?

However, where would have Durant gone?  I don't recall hearing much hype about Durant...has college actually helped him in his case as being a potential #1 pick?

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 11:32:32 PM »
Durant was pretty much a consensus top 5 pick coming out of High school, if not top 3.  All the rule did was basically make these guys wait one year before making their millions. 
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 08:28:10 AM »
i would absolutely take oden, just for his defensive presence alone.  i saw him in person on wednesday night and no one was willing to drive or even shoot in the paint.  purdue found carl landry posted up on another osu guy, and landry put up a shot that was headed in.   oden came from the other block and swatted that away.  made carl landry look so bad that landry pretended like he was hurt.

offensively oden can be dominant, however, the osu guards dont always get him the ball.  if he had the ball in his hands as much as durant, he would have similar numbers.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 07:23:56 AM »
I don't think there is much question that Durant has been the better college player to this point.  I'm very confident Oden will be the better pro, though.  Remember, he's been playing one handed (the wrong hand) for most of this seasona and is not fully recovered yet.  With his size he will be an NBA force for 15 years. 

It is very rare to win NBA championships without a top 5 center.  If Michael Jordan isn't on your team, I wouldn't recommend trying it.  Only teams I can think of besides Jordan's teams with Cartwright/Longley in the last 40 or 50 years was Isiah's Pistons with Laimbeer, Rick Barry's Warriors with Clifford Ray and I think the Sonics snuck in there one year with Marvin Webster.  And those guys were at least NBA average centers.  Otherwise the centers are all-timers like Russell, Chamberlain, Unseld, Kareem, Olajuwon, Shaq, Parrish, Moses Malone, Duncan/Robinson, etc.  Someone compared Durant to Garnett and that may be apt and KG is tremendous, but I think he has won one playoff series in his whole career. 
There's a readon NBA guys always gamble on size.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.