[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Cryan jabs TC and Huggins  (Read 6960 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Bo Cryan jabs TC and Huggins
« on: November 07, 2006, 07:30:58 AM »
poor Bo......he was not clever enough to think about scrimmaging another D1 opponent, and his only recourse is to pan the effort.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061107/GPG020103/611070453/1228/GPGsports

"The whole idea of exhibition games is to get people familiar pretty much with your own court and the surroundings," Ryan said.

His comments came after Marquette coach Tom Crean took the No. 16 Golden Eagles to Manhattan, Kan., to play Bob Huggins' Kansas State in a daylong series of scrimmages.

That cost both teams one of their two exhibition opportunities, but Crean and Huggins said the experience was great, even though NCAA rules kept it closed to the public.

But Ryan said taking away an exhibition game would be detrimental to his players, who invite friends and family, as well as people who don't have much opportunity to see regular games.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 08:03:28 AM by mu_hilltopper »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Bo Cryan jabs TC and Huggins
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 08:05:44 AM »
"The whole idea of exhibition games is to get people familiar pretty much with your own court and the surroundings," Ryan said.

Yeah, cuz you don't have access to your on-campus facility at any time to "get familiar."  Maybe it's more to do with getting your refs familiar with home-cookin

But Ryan said taking away an exhibition game would be detrimental to his players, who invite friends and family, as well as people who don't have much opportunity to see regular games.

Ever the man of the people.  I'm sure that the players family and friends don't get to see them at all during the regular season.  As for the people that don't get to go regularly, BO, they still have to walk up outside the stadium and buy a ticket from a scalper, it's not like there's a special lottery for exhibition tickets.  What a complete whiner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 08:11:35 AM »
Huh?  Why would an exhibition game provide some special opportunity to see players play?  There's like 2 games/week for a month immediately thereafter. .. Unless .. games are cheaper or something during the exhibitions, but I highly doubt that.

The one thing I'm not sure I understand about our scrimmage is .. how did we get away with it?  Marquette is always saying how each and every game is vital for revenue.   Is there some max on home games?  Maybe they thought the season ticket holders wouldn't pay another $30?

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 08:20:11 AM »
I've always thought that Ryan holds a bit of a grudge against Crean.  Ryan was very similar to Crean when he was the top assistant to Bill Cofield, then Steve Yoder; a top assistant with a strength in recruiting.  TC parlayed that into a D1 coaching job.  Ryan recruited Cory Blackwell and was sent to Platteville for 20 years.

I wonder why the hostility towards Huggins though.  Perhaps Huggins rebuffed Bo's queries about a similar scrimmage.  Even Bob has standards.  He couldn't risk becoming friendly with a coach that loses 1/3 of his scholarship players to academics.  It wouldn't be good for his image. :D

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 08:22:39 AM »
The one thing I'm not sure I understand about our scrimmage is .. how did we get away with it?  Marquette is always saying how each and every game is vital for revenue.   Is there some max on home games?  Maybe they thought the season ticket holders wouldn't pay another $30?

I thought it was because we get the extra game with the CBE this year.  However if we do it again next year like Crean has mentioned, that probably isn't it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 09:16:04 AM »
I think Crean mentioned that there was a financial impact from the KSU scrimmage, and it wouldn't always be fiscally possible.....maybe we will able to do it this year since we undervalued UWM ;)

Bo is just a whiner, maybe instead of such "insightful" review of other teams actions he should check to make sure his players are in class.  I like the idea, I would rather not watch a MU exhibition and have them play quality competition, better prepartion.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 09:16:57 AM »
Crean has already said that there is probably no way they could do two scrimmages instead of just the one due to revenue constraints.  i think he's trying to get the best of both worlds: one scrimmage which has more benefit to the players, and one exhibition, which benefits the university and the budget.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 10:31:16 AM »
There's a breakdown on the "other" board of how actually MU has more games/scrimmages available to the public than the rodents, so Bo's words are pretty much worthless in regards to this.

http://mb33.scout.com/fmarquettefrm8.showMessage?topicID=13465.topic

Is it OK to mention the other board here or we still not on talking terms?  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 11:53:44 AM by Djgoldnboy »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 10:52:49 AM »
Is it OK to mention the other board here or we still not on talking terms? :o :o

Yes, it's OK.  We encourage linking to their site, driving traffic there.  Maybe some day, they'll reciprocate.

One can hope.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 12:41:27 PM »
I generally don't have a problem with Bo's comments.  He believes that it is in his teams best interest to have exhibition games versus a scrimmage with another Div. I opponent.  He is s good coach and if he believes that than so be it.  However, TC thinks otherwise and therefore will act accordingly

"Why can't we all just get along?"

iamthelorax

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 02:01:31 PM »
Exactly...Bo gives us plenty of real reasons to criticize him, this one might be a bit over the top.

feedback