[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Acker forgoes senior season  (Read 11257 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Acker forgoes senior season
« on: June 25, 2009, 01:15:03 PM »
Acker forgoes senior season

Maurice Acker, MU's starting point guard for the final seven games of last season, is leaving the team, the school announced on Thursday.

The senior is on track to graduate in December with a degree in communication studies, and apparently will focus on academics.

"He is one semester shy of completing his degree and we all believed it was in Maurice's best interest for that to be his priority," said coach Buzz Williams in a statement released by the school.

The 5-foot-7 Acker, who'd played in a reserve role for most of his two seasons at MU, was thrust into the starting lineup in late February when Dominic James went down with a broken left foot.

Acker averaged 5.3 points, 2.0 rebounds and 2.7 assists in those seven games, but was unable to provide the dynamic playmaking or defensive ability that James did prior to his injury.

Named the Mid-American Conference's freshman of the year in 2005-'06 at Ball State, the Hazel Crest, Ill. native transferred to MU after his coach at Ball State, Tim Buckley, was fired and ultimately hired by then-Golden Eagles coach Tom Crean as an assistant.

Acker averaged 4.5 points and 1.8 assists and knocked down 26 three-pointers in 35 games as a sophomore for Crean, but saw his role diminish greatly last season under Williams prior to James' injury.

He didn't play at all in two games, and played double-digit minutes just four times in the Big East portion of the schedule before being elevated to starter. Acker's lack of height and diminutive frame -- he's listed at 165 pounds but is likely lighter than that -- made him susceptible to physical play, and unable to penetrate or defend consistently.

Acker finished the year averaging 2.8 points and 1.8 assists, and shot 29.7%. He leaves MU having averaged 3.7 points and and 1.8 assists in 68 games.

With Acker out of the picture, MU will return just one experienced guard next season -- senior David Cubillan, who does not play the point. Sophomore Darius Johnson-Odom, freshman Junior Cadougan and junior Dwight Buycks all are expected to play point guard in some capacity, with Johnson-Odom or Cadougan likely candidates to start.

Acker's departure leaves MU with just two players from the Crean era -- Cubillan and Lazar Hayward -- less than 15 months into Williams' tenure as head coach.

It also leaves MU with two remaining scholarships for the 2010-'11 class. The Golden Eagles already have oral commitments from guard Aaron Bowen and forward Monterale Clark.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/49105126.html

Kramerica

• Starter
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Acker forgoes senior season
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:19:37 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we only have one available scholarship for '10-11?  Isn't Acker's scholarship already included in that? 

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:21:47 PM »
Thanks for the solid three years Mo.

This does not bother me in the least.  He tried hard, but he simply does not have the size or talent necessary to be a BE point guard.  He would have sucked up time in the NC part of the schedule needed by Cadougan, DJO and Buycks to learn the ropes and then faded away in the BE part of the schedule.   I think MU's 2009-10 record will not be impacted by this departure.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:26:19 PM »
Kudos to whoever broke this story about a month ago, but had it ripped down.

Robyrd5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 01:29:16 PM »
There's the confirmation we've all been waiting for. Best of luck, Mo.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 01:35:01 PM »
It hurts our depth at guard big time.  If we were the have an injury at the guard position, we could be in a world of hurt.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 01:35:08 PM »
That's a shame. I really liked Acker. Hope he stays on track to graduate!

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 01:35:34 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we only have one available scholarship for '10-11?  Isn't Acker's scholarship already included in that? 

Yeah, you're right on that.

I liked Acker as a backup, but his departure from the team will be a positive for the new players to get extended PT during the NC schedule and thus exponential growth opportunities in preparing for BE play.

I hope him the best in his studies and enjoying just being a "regular" college student for a semester spending time at the bars on a week day and what not.

(Ohh I know a few girls that say he is quite the ladies man, so the best of luck in that regards now that he has full time to schmooze and carouse)
Marquette University, Spring '08

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 01:40:20 PM »
Sorry to see you go MO; I will be thinking of you on april 20th from now on.

Can we please just go ahead and get Lance Stephenson?

LON

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 01:55:13 PM »

Come on now, what does he have to do with Hitler's bday?

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 01:55:52 PM »
ROFL!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »

Do we really want to be left with no more scholarships for 2010-11, and spend it on a guy with that many issues?

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »
The guy could possibly a first round pick....so duh, of course we do.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 02:04:14 PM »

Do we really want to be left with no more scholarships for 2010-11, and spend it on a guy with that many issues?

Getting Lance(which I hope to God we don't do) has no effect on the scholarship situation for 2010-11.  He's an uncommitted 2009 recruit, and he's only going to spend the 2009-2010 season in college if he goes to college at all.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 02:06:12 PM »
Getting Lance(which I hope to God we don't do) has no effect on the scholarship situation for 2010-11.  He's an uncommitted 2009 recruit, and he's only going to spend the 2009-2010 season in college if he goes to college at all.

So he is for sure one-and-done?  That would be a ridiculous thing to do with such a young team.  The only way you take that risk IMO is with an experienced team that needs that one missing piece.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 02:11:44 PM »

So he is for sure one-and-done?  That would be a ridiculous thing to do with such a young team.  The only way you take that risk IMO is with an experienced team that needs that one missing piece.

Stephenson?  Absolultely.  If he were allowed to, he would have declared for the draft already. 

Given that every college that was recruiting him has come out publicly and said they are no longer looking at him(except Memphis), he may not even go to college at all.  Possibly prep school or Europe for a year then the NBA.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
I am gonna pat myself on the back for calling this one months ago

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Acker forgoes senior season at Marquette
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 02:30:52 PM »
How long until the next shoe drops?

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 02:36:11 PM »
too bad you were censored Ari

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 02:40:20 PM »

Very nice.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 02:46:11 PM »
How long until the next shoe drops?

what a really dumb comment. 

Crean signed a lot of non BE caliber players...Acker all by himself demonstrated he was not BE caliber.  I dont think it is a stretch to say DJO, Junior, and Buycks are all significant upgreades to Acker already.  Also, given Buzz's modus operandi he will be filling the vacancy with another player better than Acker before school starts. 

Remember Buzz fills late openings with guys like Butler and Mboa, not guys like Blackledge and Berkowitz.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »
This is only a one year deal.  Mo's scholie is already accounted for in the class of 2010.  Using the scholie now would fill all openings through 2010 and we would be "out" with 2010 recruiting prospects (assuming no one elsle were to leave in the interim).

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
I will miss his lion-hearted play. As a man of similar stature (i'm a little taller), he was the underdog to root for. When he was in, *I* was in.

Good luck on finishing up, MoAck!  :)
SS Marquette

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 03:03:48 PM »
Sucks to see him go.  He's a good student-athlete (I am basing that on him graduating early) who seems to have a good head on his shoulders. 

Hope all goes smoothly with classes through December and your future remains bright.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 03:07:17 PM »
what a really dumb comment. 

Crean signed a lot of non BE caliber players...Acker all by himself demonstrated he was not BE caliber.  I dont think it is a stretch to say DJO, Junior, and Buycks are all significant upgreades to Acker already.  Also, given Buzz's modus operandi he will be filling the vacancy with another player better than Acker before school starts. 

Remember Buzz fills late openings with guys like Butler and Mboa, not guys like Blackledge and Berkowitz.
I couldn't agree more. I cited Blackledge, Berkowitz and (sorry to say because I admired his effort) Acker as evidence of Crean's absolutely lazy recruiting about two years ago and was chastised as a hater. "Crean is a tireless worker" everybody told me. What a crock of tanning solution!