[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:41:23 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Tom Crean's outgoing salary at MU  (Read 13249 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Tom Crean's outgoing salary at MU
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »
Tom Crean's outgoing salary at MU

In the spring of 2008 when Tom Crean announced that he was leaving Marquette University to take the head-coaching job at Indiana University, he was asked what factored into his decision.

"Because it's Indiana," Crean said.

Judging from a federal tax filing provided Thursday by Marquette University and published accounts of his salary at Indiana, it appears money was not the main reason Crean moved to Bloomington.

According to the federal tax filing for the year ending June 30, 2008, which is the most recent year available, Crean was paid $2,298,526 to coach at Marquette.

At Indiana, Crean was ultimately given a 10-year contract worth an estimated $23.6 million. That works out to roughly $2.36 million a year.

At Marquette, Crean also was given $31,648 in an employee benefit plan and deferred compensation, and just over $9,000 in expense money.

At Indiana, Crean receives $15,000 per year for term life insurance.

Coaches' salaries are always a hot topic in collegiate sports, particularly in an age where universities are forced to make painful cuts on the academic side. John Calipari, the new coach at the University of Kentucky, has an eight-year, $31.65 million contract. That is believed to be the most lucrative contract in college basketball.

The MU filing also shows that current coach Buzz Williams was paid $409,311 as Crean's top assistant. Williams' salary was higher than the salary paid Terri L. Mitchell, the women's coach. Mitchell was paid $328,698 for the year ending June 30, 2008.

However, Williams' salary as an assistant reflects two months in which he was being paid as a full-time head coach. Williams was given a six-year contract in April 2008.

When Marquette named Williams to replace Crean, Williams' salary was not disclosed. However, sources say Williams is being paid between $800,000 to $1 million a year.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/46957502.html

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:03:45 PM by rocky_warrior »

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Tom Crean's outgoing salary at MU
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:36:01 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....with the roughly $2.5 Mill per year MU is saving on it's BBall coaches since TC left, maybe they should bring back Wrestling and start up a Varsity Baseball program!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....with the roughly $2.5 Mill per year MU is saving on it's BBall coaches since TC left, maybe they should bring back Wrestling and start up a Varsity Baseball program!

I would also accept more free tshirts sitting on my seats for home games next year. 

Eye

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 02:56:11 PM »
Not trying to change the topic, but I've said forever that two adds would make perfect sense in my mind for MU; baseball and softball.
GO WARRIORS!

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »
The MU filing also shows that current coach buzz Williams was paid $409,311 as Crean's top assistant. Williams' salary was higher than the salary paid Terri L. Mitchell, the women's coach. Mitchell was paid $328,698 for the year ending June 30, 2008.           

If I were Terri Mitchell, I'd be ticked.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 03:05:10 PM »
Terri Mitchell's got a pretty good gig.  And is paid well.  Since the women's team is a money loser, it gets supported by the profits from the mens' team.  She should be happy with what she's making--and I'm sure she is.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 03:12:09 PM »
Not trying to change the topic, but I've said forever that two adds would make perfect sense in my mind for MU; baseball and softball.

Do we have someplace we can play?  I don't recall seeing a baseball diamond down at Valley Fields.

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 03:21:21 PM »
Terri Mitchell makes $330k a year?  Um, okay.
"If you are making your decision based on climate, you're probably not tough enough to play here." - Buzz Williams

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 03:24:51 PM »
If I were Terri Mitchell, I'd be ticked.

I really hope this was you being facetious.  Two NCAA appearances in the last 8 years and you think she should be ticked for only making $330,000 a year? 

Are you kidding me?
"If you are making your decision based on climate, you're probably not tough enough to play here." - Buzz Williams

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »

At Indiana, Crean was ultimately given a 10-year contract worth an estimated $23.6 million. That works out to roughly $2.36 million a year.

That was the average, but - please correct me if I'm recalling incorrectly - his contract was frontloaded.

Also, I wonder what the bonus structure was when he was at MU, as well as how much he made in incentives. With the .pdf that was on here last year, it showed some nice 5-6 digit incentives.

Interesting numbers...Good Job, TODD!!!
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »
I really hope this was you being facetious.  Two NCAA appearances in the last 8 years and you think she should be ticked for only making $330,000 a year? 

Are you kidding me?

You're forgetting the NIT Title.
SS Marquette

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 03:30:47 PM »

Are you kidding me?

And lets be honest, no one cares about women's basketball.  Sure we can discuss their success' or shortcomings but it doesn't effect our moods or make the winter tolerable.  Look no further then the 1000 people at each game made up mostly of family and friends.  

Frankly I'm ticked that she makes that much.  330K for a sport that probably costs the university 250K.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 03:32:24 PM »
It is common knowledge that Mitchell has interviewed for other head coaching positions in the past.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 03:33:24 PM »
It is common knowledge that Mitchell has interviewed for other head coaching positions in the past.

Did she interview for the Duke job a few years back?
The General has taken on a new command.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 03:34:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the women's BBall program is a money loser overall.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »
I like the $9,000 expense money he got or $750 per month beer money. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »
Did she interview for the Duke job a few years back?

Yes, and that's a job she coveted. Unfortunately, she came in number 2.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »
And lets be honest, no one cares about women's basketball.  Sure we can discuss their success' or shortcomings but it doesn't effect our moods or make the winter tolerable.  Look no further then the 1000 people at each game made up mostly of family and friends. 

Frankly I'm ticked that she makes that much.  330K for a sport that probably costs the university 250K.

Actually, I would guess that women's hoops probably costs 4-5x your estimate.  If you factor in Mitchell's salary, assistant coaches/staff salaries, cost of 12/13 scholarships, and travel/recruiting expenses, it's probably easily in the $1-$1.25 million range.
The General has taken on a new command.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 06:30:42 PM »

wow are you an MPS grad?  good math

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 06:54:43 PM »
Well, if Mitchell feels that she is underpaid, she should go out and get another job.  But I don't think that's gonna happen.

And remember a lot of a coach's salary is tied to things like shoe contracts and camps.  And let's face it, the men's program is going to be more valuable than a woman's program in that regard.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 06:58:59 PM »

that is one heck of a salary for a guy who basically had one successful post season run in 9 years.

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 07:38:04 PM »
Terri Mitchell's got a pretty good gig.  And is paid well.  Since the women's team is a money loser, it gets supported by the profits from the mens' team.  She should be happy with what she's making--and I'm sure she is.
$330K is good money by almost anyone's standards. And it's men's bball vs. women's. I get that.

What caught my attention was that Williams after 8 years as head coach at MU would make less than an assistant coach coming to MU in his first year.  That's all.

When you factor in the fact that 2 months of Buzz's salary was at head coach pay, my assumption may or may not even be true. You'd also have to factor in when Buzz started at MU... he didn't leave UNO till July, so the salary listed does not reflect a full year. 

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »
Is anyone surprised an assistant coach was making 400k, guess we really don't know the market for assistant coaches.  I always thought a top assistant in BB was equivelant to a coordinator in football and IIRC the offensive coordinator at UW makes about 200k.  Was Buzz an exception or is that the norm for a top 50 program these days.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »
that is one heck of a salary for a guy who basically had one successful post season run in 9 years.

Highway robbery if you ask me. Crean should kiss Wade's sphincter every night.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Eye

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 03:29:36 AM »
Do we have someplace we can play?  I don't recall seeing a baseball diamond down at Valley Fields.

Does someone have an answer for this? Having seen the facility someone like Whitewater has in the WSUC, I'd imagine MU could do something like that for BB and SB. The land close to campus could be another issue, however.
GO WARRIORS!

feedback