[Today at 05:32:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Tom Crean's outgoing salary at MU  (Read 13252 times)

bma725

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Tom Crean's outgoing salary at MU
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 07:46:35 AM »
Does someone have an answer for this? Having seen the facility someone like Whitewater has in the WSUC, I'd imagine MU could do something like that for BB and SB. The land close to campus could be another issue, however.

There isn't one at Valley Fields and there isn't really the land for it either.  I think there used to be a diamond at the park on Kilbourn between 18th and 19th but it wasn't really appropriate for a college team.  The next closest is at Merrill Park by Marquette High, but again that's not really good enough for a college team.  The MU club team just to find a field appropriate for them goes all the way to Zablocki Park, which is on 37th and Howard, not exactly close to MU. 

Guy Fieri's Dad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 08:14:36 AM »
Adding baseball or softball would be a bad idea.  These sports rarely bring any money to a university.  The money could be spent in much wiser ways.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 08:15:56 AM »
Like what?  More Hypobaric chambers?  Some new Hummers for the BBall coaches?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 09:20:18 AM »
Adding baseball or softball would be a bad idea.  These sports rarely bring any money to a university.  The money could be spent in much wiser ways.

+1.  A baseball program would not be competitive.  There aren't enough prospects in the midwest to put together a decent team and it would most assuredly lose money.  Have you seen how irrelevent the Big Ten has become in baseball?  It has increasingly become a southern and western sport for weather reasons.  When I was a kid, I remember a Big Ten team in the College World Series every other year or so.  I cannot remember the last time there has been one lately.

Softball might be a little better, but not much. 

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 12:56:56 PM »
Ordinarily I (in the nicest way possible of course) would tell people to take their comments to the women's board..but in this instance I must respond.  $330k for the women's coach!!!  Is MU insane?!!!  I hope she is looking for another job.  Who cares about Tan Cream anymore.  Doesn't the school know that no one watches women's basketball unless you live in the dumb state of CT?  Holy cow!!  I have nothing against women's sports or the programs at MU but $330,000?  Outrageous!!!

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »
Not trying to change the topic, but I've said forever that two adds would make perfect sense in my mind for MU; baseball and softball.

Universities this far north do not have competitive baseball or softball teams. Where and how would they play and practice come March? Everyone always seems to bring up baseball but no one thinks about hockey as being the most natural and easiest fit? The University of Nebraska and Omaha and Ferris State (whatever that is) compete in the same conference as Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio St, etc...so why could't we?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »

Highway robbery if you ask me. Crean should kiss Wade's sphincter every night.

When you factor in that it's the ONLY SUCCESSFUL RUN by a MU coach in 25 years, that might have something to do with it as well.  Plus he's the ONLY coach in the last 20 years to stay beyond that ripe tenure of 5 years, also had something to do with it.

It would be one thing if MU was cranking out Final Four runs every 5 years or coaches were staying here forever, but that isn't the case....even as much as people around this board want to claim MU was some kind of destination program.  It wasn't, and I'd argue it still isn't (though it's better than it was....and Crean got it in that position now where it's better than it was).

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 03:41:45 PM »
Universities this far north do not have competitive baseball or softball teams. Where and how would they play and practice come March? Everyone always seems to bring up baseball but no one thinks about hockey as being the most natural and easiest fit? The University of Nebraska and Omaha and Ferris State (whatever that is) compete in the same conference as Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio St, etc...so why could't we?

It's a pretty compelling point, especially with the BC right down the street.

It would be tough to balance the BC schedule between hockey and hoops... but it could work.

With this said, MU would struggle to get a ton of student involvement because MU isn't that big of a school and it would be difficult to be a hardcore hoops and hockey fan. I'm not saying it's not possible, just saying you can't expect 5,000 students at every hockey and basketball game.

But, hockey is an interesting option... especially if the Bucks ever leave town. More open dates at the BC, and MU could get some weekend games for the hockey team.

What about title 9? Add woman's hockey too? where do they play?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 03:42:06 PM »
Does someone have an answer for this? Having seen the facility someone like Whitewater has in the WSUC, I'd imagine MU could do something like that for BB and SB. The land close to campus could be another issue, however.

Not happening, move on.  Baseball programs in DI programs have been cut a lot in the last 15 years, very few are adding programs.  Even UW-Madison had to drop theirs.  Vermont just dropped theirs last week.  Not going to happen.

If you see sports added, it's going to be something like women's golf, women's field hockey, women's lacrosse.  They key notation there is FEMALE.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »
When you factor in that it's the ONLY SUCCESSFUL RUN by a MU coach in 25 years, that might have something to do with it as well.  Plus he's the ONLY coach in the last 20 years to stay beyond that ripe tenure of 5 years, also had something to do with it.

It would be one thing if MU was cranking out Final Four runs every 5 years or coaches were staying here forever, but that isn't the case....even as much as people around this board want to claim MU was some kind of destination program.  It wasn't, and I'd argue it still isn't (though it's better than it was....and Crean got it in that position now where it's better than it was).

It's not only about success. It's about being a good person. Crean was not. Therefore, he shouldn't have gotten paid like he did. Arrogant, difficult people don't deserve high salaries from a Jesuit university.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 03:47:11 PM »

Actually women's softball this far north is competitive.  Michigan has an outstanding program (top 5 in the USA).  DePaul is a perrenial top 25 program.  Ohio State, UMass, Northwestern are all top 20 programs.  Notre Dame is a good program as well.  Even Iowa has it's moments.

Baseball I agree with you, for the most part it's not that good up north.  Michigan and Minnesota have had their moments every once in awhile, Maine used to be solid and Notre Dame is fairly good, but for the most part it's the ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Pac Ten dominating for a long time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:33:07 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »
It's not only about success. It's about being a good person. Crean was not. Therefore, he shouldn't have gotten paid like he did. Arrogant, difficult people don't deserve high salaries from a Jesuit university.

Was this supposed to be in teal?   ;)

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 01:30:16 AM »
No chance MU could ever get baseball. No recruiting base, no facilities, and weather alone make it impossible. How many northern schools are successful in baseball? Maybe two or three and that's it. Northern Iowa just cut baseball this year because it's a financial drain on the athletic department.

The only sport MU could realistically add would be hockey.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 09:54:28 AM »
No chance MU could ever get baseball. No recruiting base, no facilities, and weather alone make it impossible. How many northern schools are successful in baseball? Maybe two or three and that's it. Northern Iowa just cut baseball this year because it's a financial drain on the athletic department.

The only sport MU could realistically add would be hockey.

And I don't think that is all that realistic both because of cost and because of Title IX.  They would have to sink money into another sport that would undoubtedly be a money loser - maybe gymnastics or softball.

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 05:05:53 PM »
Chicks in leotards? Fine by me

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 09:07:57 PM »
I second adding a women's gymnastics program....

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 09:39:06 PM »
I second adding a women's gymnastics program....

I will offer a third.   But I'm going to have to make some time to make it to a few women's volleyball games this fall.   Here's a new MU recruit from northern California.  (and yes I know I'm a pig)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 10:17:47 PM »
I like the Jim Plunkett jersey!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 11:14:44 PM »
University of Washington has had a top ten softball program for at least  the last ten years. Michigan used to be competitive. Don't follow it much now that all the kids I coached have moved ion

Not the ideal weather  either place

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »
the most realistic sports to add would be men's hockey and women's crew. the women's club crew team is very successful and already competes at the national regattas and places well so it would not be that difficult to add and have success.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 12:37:50 AM »
University of Washington has had a top ten softball program for at least  the last ten years. Michigan used to be competitive. Don't follow it much now that all the kids I coached have moved ion

Not the ideal weather  either place

Michigan is in the top 5 in softball, there are MANY top 25 programs in cold weather areas for softball.  Baseball, however, is a different story.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 12:40:39 AM »
the most realistic sports to add would be men's hockey and women's crew. the women's club crew team is very successful and already competes at the national regattas and places well so it would not be that difficult to add and have success.

The thing is, it's really not that realistic for MU to add ANY men's programs now or any time in the foreseeable future.  Even if the school was surrounded by lakes and every skated to class each day, we're not going to start a hockey team for the men.  Too much money, need a place to play (= $$$$), huge ramifications for Title IX, etc, etc.  I realize it seems to make sense from the aspect of geography, but from the aspect of politics, economics and the law (which are linked at the core of politics and economics on this issue), it's just not going to happen.

You might see some women's teams added, but you won't see any men's teams added unless there are a bunch of women's teams added at the same time. 

Eye

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 04:22:01 AM »
Men's and women's hockey would be my second choice.

And Chicos has pretty much brought up all the decent teams that play SB in the northern part of the country.

Will anyone ever figure out that FB shouldn't be part of the Title IX equation? Last time I checked there isn't women's FB. But I'm all for the equal numbers of scholarships for sports that are played by both genders when there is demand for those scholarships, be it in VB, golf, tennis, CC, soccer, basketball, gymnastics, track, BB/SB, swimming, hockey, whatever. It's well-meaning, but very poorly executed, legislation (sorry if that moved toward something that should be on another board).
GO WARRIORS!

feedback