Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We are still recruiting '09- Jaquon Parker  (Read 6209 times)

HoopDreams

• Starter
We are still recruiting '09- Jaquon Parker
« on: May 10, 2009, 02:51:35 PM »
Jaquon Parker knows what some people are saying about him. He's about to flunk out of school. His home life isn't the greatest. His college prospects? Buyer beware.

It's time for the rumors to stop, said Parker, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound senior guard from King's Fork High in Suffolk who recently de-committed from Old Dominion University. While it's true he has a lot of work to do in the classroom, and his family situation hasn't always been the best, he said he does have a plan and he's not teetering on the edge of oblivion.

"Actually, things with me aren't as bad as people were saying," said Parker, who was selected the Virginia High School Coaches Association player of the year after averaging 18.5 points, 10 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game in leading King's Fork to the Group AAA state championship.

"My life has had a lot of ups and downs lately, but everything is going really good right now. I'm just exploring all the different avenues that are being presented to me. It seems like here recently my passion for basketball is through the roof."

Parker, who will be a few core credits short of graduating in June, has exhausted his high school eligibility because he turned 19 on March 29. He can't return to play at King's Fork because players who are 19 or older at the start of the academic year are ineligible for athletic competition, according to Virginia High School League rules.

So Parker is evaluating prep schools. He's looking at South Kent School in South Kent, Conn., Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham and IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. — all considered elite academic and athletic institutions.

He said his grade-point average is around 2.4, but he's trying to improve through a more dedicated approach. He took the SAT for the first time last weekend and plans to take the ACT on June 13. Though he said he could play AAU this summer, he's skipping it to prepare for prep school.

"Everybody thinks his grades aren't right, and that's the rumor out on the street," King's Fork coach Josh Worrell said. "When coaches start talking to him, they realize it's not as bad as the rumors have it. He's a kid that has it together."

It doesn't seem like his academic status has scared off many schools.

Parker said he has scholarship offers from ODU, La Salle, Cincinnati and Marquette. On April 30, two days after he de-committed from ODU, Parker said Marquette coaches called to offer him a scholarship.

Oh, and about that de-commitment ... it certainly doesn't mean ODU is out of the running. Parker, who describes himself as a "Dwyane Wade" type of player (i.e. get to the basket and create scoring opportunities for himself), said he just felt like he made up his mind too soon.

"As soon as I de-committed, there were definitely a lot of schools calling, but I'm also a loyal person," said Parker, who added Virginia, Virginia Tech, Connecticut, Florida, George Mason and Richmond have shown interest. "I'm not just going to put ODU in the back of my mind or anything. I'm still going to keep them in the mix and consider them."

Parker credits his uncle, Charles Williams, for keeping him focused on what needs to be done to get to college. Though Parker wouldn't go into details, finding consistency and steadiness at home has been challenging for him.

A little more than a year ago, Parker said, he talked with several family members, including Williams, and Worrell about the best place for Parker to live.

He now lives with Williams in Suffolk, where Parker said he's getting the guidance he needs.

"My mom and dad are both in my life, and it seems like I'm making a real positive step right now," Parker said. "(My uncle) doesn't give anybody the upper hand. Even now that I'm 19, when I stay out past curfew, he stays on me. I definitely needed that kind of thing. I'm here with him and his wife, and it's a real strong nucleus.

"I just want to let people know I'm not as bad off as everybody seems to think I am. I'm handling everything well and taking it one step at a time."
Tradition Never Graduates..

VwArrior1

• Starter
Re: We are still recruiting '09- Jaquon Parker
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 03:11:11 PM »
Parker is a 2010 recruit.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:51:21 PM »
Yeah isn't the whole point of the article saying that he is looking at the prep school route?

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:11:05 PM »
Since he is going to prep school wouldn't he be a 2011 recruit, or was he a 09 recruit who will be a 2010 recruit after going to prep school?

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 07:29:46 PM »
Since he is going to prep school wouldn't he be a 2011 recruit, or was he a 09 recruit who will be a 2010 recruit after going to prep school?

The answers to your questions are either "Yes," "No," and "Yes."  Or on the other hand, maybe "No," "Yes," and "No."  Oh, great, now you've got me questioning my answers.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:30:37 PM »

"Parker, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound senior guard" - 2009 recruit that would be a 2010 if he went junior college.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 07:52:26 PM »
"As soon as I de-committed, there were definitely a lot of schools calling, but I'm also a loyal person," said Parker

Um, yeah, not really.  If you were so loyal ...

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 08:18:14 PM »
"Parker, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound senior guard" - 2009 recruit that would be a 2010 if he went junior college.

actually incorrect if as a non qualifier he went juco he would be a 2011 recruit and come in a s a junior.  If he wentt he prep route he would be a 2010 recruit and come in as a freshman. 

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »
some one please explain why we are after this guy when we already have a verbal from Bowen.  Aren't they the same size, position playing style etc. ?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »
He may still be a 2009 recruit. It says he is short in core courses. It is not clear whether he can make that up in summer. The reason I think he may attempt this is the fact that he took the SAT and is planning to take the ACT. That seems odd to me, if he is given up on qualifying this year. Obvoiusly MU would only sign him for 2009 if he qualified and they had an open position. Buzz may just be keeping his options open. Until Bowen signs he is not a sure thing.