Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wisconsin is questioning the character of the kids WE are recruiting?  (Read 8108 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Maybe they should look in the mirror first.  Not sure if anybody heard about the standoff/house invasion/armed robbery that happened on Friday in Wauwatosa, but 1 of the 3 who will be charged was being recruited by Wisconsin.  So according to them, we are recruiting awful kids because they come from an academically questionable high school or are academically questionable because they went to JUCO.  Yet they are recruiting a kid who broke into a house because he knew the kid who lived there was a drug dealer.  That's weird.

They haven't been named yet in public, so I won't name who it is.  The 2 other kids had a future in college sports as well.  Just unbelievable what people think they can get away with.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Did you miss the whole post about BadgerFran. Its obvious Wisconsin is just worried that we will have better talent than the big white kids they love.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Maybe they should look in the mirror first.  Not sure if anybody heard about the standoff/house invasion/armed robbery that happened on Friday in Wauwatosa, but 1 of the 3 who will be charged was being recruited by Wisconsin.  So according to them, we are recruiting awful kids because they come from an academically questionable high school or are academically questionable because they went to JUCO.  Yet they are recruiting a kid who broke into a house because he knew the kid who lived there was a drug dealer.  That's weird.

They haven't been named yet in public, so I won't name who it is.  The 2 other kids had a future in college sports as well.  Just unbelievable what people think they can get away with.

Basketball or football?

wadesworld

• All American
Basketball.  One of the other kids was a huge football prospect, and the other was another basketball prospect.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

augoman

• All American
weird, but I thought Bobo had a lot of talent on his team last year- just zero chemistry.  Also, he made some combinational mistakes (IMHO) that surprised me; starting Hughes at the point against tough defensive teams (like MU) knowing full well that Hughes is a lousy ball-handler, and he had a better point sitting on the bench.  Failing to use Landry to his ability, giving him a clear-out, or spotting him in the wide post, and so on.  But then, the one thing he does year in and year out that drives me up the wall, is forcing square pegs into round holes;  Brian Butch was an excellent Steve Novak-type perimeter player who was quick and deadly from the arc..., Bobo in trying to make a banger center out of him, bulked him into being a lethargically slow, rolly-polly flopper.  What a waste.  As to the 'stellar' players they have, I'll never forget Sam Okey being suspended for 2 pre-season games for being caught smoking grass.  Meanwhile, MU rescinds Zack McCall's scholly for testing positive for it.  I guess schools all recruit the same kids, but some hold them to a higher standard.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
From the GB Press-Gazette about former Badger football player P.J. Hill who declared for the NFL after his junior year:

♦ What a fall for Hill, whose stock took a digger after he was arrested on DUI charges for a second time in mid-March. The Badgers’ No. 3 all-time rusher settled for a free-agent contract with the New Orleans Saints.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GOMU1104

• All American
Considering this kid is 18, and Bo has already selected his players for the 2009-10 and 2010-11 classes...I question how big of a recruit he actually is.

Remember...Bo NEVER over-recruits, as it is a dispicable act that should be punishable only by death.

GGGG

• All American
weird, but I thought Bobo had a lot of talent on his team last year- just zero chemistry.  Also, he made some combinational mistakes (IMHO) that surprised me; starting Hughes at the point against tough defensive teams (like MU) knowing full well that Hughes is a lousy ball-handler,

The new PG they have played pretty well for them this year.  Once he gets a more consistent shot, he's going to be pretty well-rounded.  However for this upcoming year, I have trouble seeing where the offense is going to come from that team.

butchbadger

• Starter
Considering this kid is 18, and Bo has already selected his players for the 2009-10 and 2010-11 classes...I question how big of a recruit he actually is.

Thank you.  This is a pathetic reach.  Never heard of the kid.

wadesworld

• All American

Thank you.  This is a pathetic reach.  Never heard of the kid.
Haha well considering he is the #1 ranked recruit in the class of 2011 from Wisconsin and the fact that there were basketball recruiting letters from Wisconsin brought up at the preliminary hearings this weekend you can call that a reach if you want but I would say it's pretty accurate.  Just like there were football recruiting letters from UCLA brought up for 1 of the other kids.  When the names go public I'll put the article on here.  You'll find that Wisconsin was recruiting this kid.

bma725

• All American
Haha well considering he is the #1 ranked recruit in the class of 2011 from Wisconsin and the fact that there were basketball recruiting letters from Wisconsin brought up at the preliminary hearings this weekend you can call that a reach if you want but I would say it's pretty accurate.  Just like there were football recruiting letters from UCLA brought up for 1 of the other kids.  When the names go public I'll put the article on here.  You'll find that Wisconsin was recruiting this kid.

You might want to hold off on the bashing, MU was going after him as well.

Hards Alumni

• All American
exactly, let us not throw stones when we are living in glass houses...

who wouldn't want the best player in the state?

jficke13

• All American
I think that was the point he was making... that the People's Republic University was in the glass house and throwing stones.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class

You mean even if they're tall, big and white? ;)

On a side note, who were the last three JUCO transfers into the Wisconsin BK program, and what years did they enter WI BK?

I know we're getting a good number of them, but I looked at their roster going back 4 years and couldn't find one (Hughes went to Prep school).
SS Marquette

dwaderoy2004

• All American
zach morley was one.  he must have came into the program in 03 or 04...

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Zach Mcaall did not have his scholarship rescinded he was simply suspeneded for the year.  I realize that is nitpicking and the real issue is he was susspended for a yer while a badger player was suspended for 2 preseason gmaes. 

Pakuni

• All American

Ummm ... Bo Ryan?
At least that's what we're told by the Badger faithful every time the best player in the state goes elsewhere.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ummm ... Bo Ryan?
At least that's what we're told by the Badger faithful every time the best player in the state goes elsewhere.

Bo reminds me a lot of Mike Deane.  He just doesn't want to put up with certain types of players or perceived players.  That's why he and Hutchins didn't mix well. 

As far as I know and have heard, UW-Madison clearly knew that Maymon was the best player in the state but they never offered.  I don't think Crean was going down that path either, though that might have changed.  Certain coaches have different tolerance levels then others do.  Some coaches don't want to put the effort into a player or family.  That's their choice.  Buzz seems to connect well with most folks so the marriage should work well with the Maymons and MU.

Avenue Commons

• All American
Are you talking about the University of Wisconsin the actual institution, or just their fans? I could care less what their fans say, but if the institution is saying something, that would be interesting.
We Are Marquette

Hards Alumni

• All American
I think that was the point he was making... that the People's Republic University was in the glass house and throwing stones.

I understood perfectly, but I suggest that maybe we also practice what we preach.

if they start lobbing, we shouldn't start lobbing back... it sort of ruins the argument.

GGGG

• All American
You might want to hold off on the bashing, MU was going after him as well.

Not only that, but if this is the first time he has ever gotten into this sort of trouble, it is pretty hard to bash UW (or MU) for this kind of thing.

ecompt

• All American
Had he stolen laptops he could have gotten a free ride at UConn.

LON

• All American
I heard he's enrolling in the Eric Devendorf self-defense class...

butchbadger

• Starter
before pounding on every indiscretion don't forget Pat Hazel.   

Kids do dumb things.   I don't think it was that big of a deal and am not sure if that is why he  had to leave.  My guess is over half of college students would have at least considered the same action.

Also want to clarify the Hughes thing. He went to a prep school in the manner that University School and Marquette High are prep schools.  It is a real school and a pretty good one given some of the kids that it admits.

The kind of prep school you were thinking of is the one the NCAA and some MU fans are concerned about - Stoneridge, ND Prep, and Christian Life.  Those are basically basketball only schools.

augoman

• All American
Zach Mcaall did not have his scholarship rescinded he was simply suspeneded for the year.  I realize that is nitpicking and the real issue is he was susspended for a yer while a badger player was suspended for 2 preseason gmaes. 

You may well be right, but I know it was the end of McCall at MU.